Can you make profit out of WP themes?

PenguinManiac

WordPress is without doubt the most widespread CMS on the internet, and, as a consequence, a lot of people have made themes for it to make the most out of its customization freedom.
I know that there are shops online (including the official WP one) where you buy and sell WP themes for fairly competitive prices. Could this be profitable? Or is the market so saturated that there would be no use in trying?

Unknown

It really depends on 1) How much money are you trying to make? and 2) How good of a developer/designer are you?

1) If you are looking to be making a lot of money by selling WD themes then don't even begin. This isn't a really easy market because you constantly have to compete with other designers that have been developing them for years and even worse, the FREE themes.

2) However, if you consider yourself as a really, really good theme designer and developer you could probably earn some money, just don't expect insane amount. It is really all up to you and how good themes you make. There are plenty of selling platforms but the problem is to actually get the sales. Unless you create something amazing and attractive, people won't bother to buy it.

So, answer those two questions and then decide :)

PenguinManiac

PenguinManiac
Thank you for the reply!
Yeah, I figured as much. Most websites I've seen use free themes, since only businesses or small websites with ad revenue are willing to spend money for it. Furthermore, most webmasters already have some knowledge of HTML, CSS and JS, so they can make them for themselves.
How easy is it to get recognition with free themes, though? They could still be good to build up a portfolio, even if I can't make something out of it right away.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
wms
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies