Programs for web development?

PenguinManiac

Every time I approach development of any kind, I always lose a lot of time to figure out what program I should start with.
As for web development, I usually go with Brackets while working on static web pages and a combination of Notepad++ and Google Dev Tools for dynamic pages. However, these settings don't always satisfy me, because the work flow is not as smooth as I'd like it to be (especially with the latter, it feels... clunky).
What do you use for web development? If you're also a web apps developer, what do you use for that? (I have never approached web apps, but hey, might as well ask while I'm at it)

Rob Whisonant

Well I'm a programmer and I have tried just about everything. I keep going back to Notepad++ though. Maybe I'm just set in my ways. :)

manoaratefy

Currently, I'm working with Notepad+ in Windows and Atom in Linux, when I do PHP. And when I'm on ASP.NET, I use Visual Studio 2015.

But I think nothing is great than Atom, which is also available on Windows.

eestiman

I'm using brackets/Atom with a lot of plugins, and some automatization tools like gulp

osforum4

You must try PHPStorms and WebStorms at least once.It is the best among all.

georgeuser

Atom with plugins for me, though it's kind of buggy. Crashes or starts to act weird after a few hours for me each time. Free though.

PenguinManiac

Thanks to everyone who suggested Atom! I seriously can't believe I've found out about it just now. I gave it a look now, and it seems amazing. The plugin support is what really kills it, and being compatible with multiple platforms is always a plus. I'll definitely give it a shot.
Thanks to everyone again!

tim_cloudcone

I'm also using Atom with a few packages: color-picker, pigments, project-manager and minimap to improve productivity. The only problem I have with Atom is that it takes some time to start up on Windows.

joed77

I use Goldfish on Linux and Sublime Text on Mac, they're like halfways between an IDE and a simple text processor.

Novakin

I Use Atom over Brackets/WebStorm/VisualStudio 2015. Depends on what I am working at the moment. I used to develop in good old DreamWeaver and I am still using it sometimes...

PenguinManiac

PenguinManiac
DreamWeaver? That's Adobe's web editor, right? I've heard pretty good things about it, but I've also heard that it likes handholding a little too much and that it tries to impose its own rules onto the developer, making the code a little dirty compared to HTML/CSS code written from the ground up. How has it worked out in your experience?

Novakin

Novakin
Yes, that's Adobe's web editor. DreamWeaver served me very good for very long time. I was using it even before Adobe, they were Macromedia at the time. I think only Photoshop was on Adobe.
I have great experience with DW, I have written lots of code from the ground up and I don't have that problem, its not imposing anything on me :D.

Visual Studio 2015 is great but its too heavy when it comes to simple web apps/pages.
I use ATOM for only HTML5/CSS3/JS
I Use WebStorm when it comes to React/SCSS and sometimes for simple HTML5/CSS3, depends. It has great built-in console and other tools where it makes the workflow better.

PenguinManiac

PenguinManiac
That's very good to know! I must have run into the usual Adobe haters who like to discredit their programs just for the sake of it. I did find it weird for Adobe to create such a lackluster editor, though.
I've tried Visual Studio as well, but that was the 2016 edition, and even that one was a little too hard on my computer. It handles Brackets, Atom, Notepad++ and the likes much better.
I've never heard about WebStorm, though. What can you do with that console? What makes it better for SCSS, exactly?

Novakin

Novakin
Well, first of all I find it much easier to setup environment for SCSS compiling and such. The console is practically NODE, package installing - NPM. You can look it up on google if you are not familiar with it. Like i said I find it way more faster for setting up when I need to build something from ground up.

Lets say I need bootstrap, I install bootstrap through console in my project directory by executing just one line, import links and that's about it, and that works for everything. Its much better/faster workflow when you sum things up.

nesir

nesir
Lol i was reading about all these new and exciting tools and i though im not going to participate , but sure enough somebody said Dreamweaver.That and just plain old Notepad++ have served me well, its what i started on and i just know it very well . i would be lying if i say that atom and web storm has not peaked my curiosity a bit now.

gjgcint

I use Atom and Sublime text. It is very easy to navigate through your file directory. I started using notepad++ but it gets crowded and it is really hard to navigate. I also used netbeans but it has a high overhead that sometimes slows down my laptop. I think Atom is better visually and easier to use but Sublime is faster.

Jud

I used the following:
Eclipes for java and jsp development it's pretty heavy but it has a built-in tools in it for web apps
Sublime for javascript html, css and php development it's light and good to use.
VI editor in mac for bashcripting.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
wms
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.