What happens to your Facebook account if you die?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallet

Hello, my friends, my sister had a Facebook account, and she died of cancer a few years back, and her Facebook account is not closed. I didn't know her passwords to close it down. I tried to contact the Facebook staff, and they said that if she had no legacy connection, then I will not be able to take over the account, and I must request deletion and provide them some documents!
I didn't give them anything, is five years since she died and her account will slowly be forgotten as the Facebook algorithm detects it’s no longer active, but still existing.

vinaya

Sometime back my facebook friend died. However, the account is still active with the same name. Her daughter maintains my deceased friend's facebook account. The account was first used by the daughter to announce the death of my friend, then began using facebook as condolence book, now the daughter shares memories about her mother. When the user is dead and you cannot access the account, the account will be dead in few years due to inactivity.

joshmoy

Once a user dies, every other thing dies with that person. The Facebook account is mostly useless after mortality especially if the password is unknown.

Facebook cannot be expected to know when a user dies. So, its up to the family members of the deceased to decide on what to do with the account, that is if they have access to the account.

I feel that the accounts should be deleted after completion of the deceased's final rites by the family of the deceased.

Jack_Dan

Facebook provides two options for deceased person Facebook account, either you can memorialize Facebook page or delete that account. You need to provide a death certificate and proof to Facebook. You need to visit Facebook help center and search for "deceased user delete" and then you need to choose from two options. I hope it will help you to delete your sister's account.

wallet

You are right Jack_Dan, they did ask some documents to me, but at that time I wasn't able to process the information correctly. In time I forgot what documents they asked me, and I contacted Facebook, but I got no answer from them until now. I will probably try again because is not ok for me to see my sister on my friend list.
Thank you all!

joshmoy

joshmoy
Hi wallet! I think the best step now is to memorialize her account since there is an option for that. As for the lack of response from Facebook, you can keep trying to contact them. They would surely reply. Accept my heartfelt condolence.

JoeMilford

Although a bit of a morbid question, I think that this is a really good question. I have had friends who have passed, and I would go back to look at a photo of them, and their page would still be active. I had a friend who committed suicide, and posted an active letter to her page, but her family had the fb administration dismantle the account, so I guess it is different depending upon each situation.

moneybags82

Normally when someone dies if the family members wish they could contact Facebook to let them know. Some times they remove the accounts or they could make a tribute page. It's always sad case when family and friends pass on and a tribute page really helps some members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads