What's your opinion about buying forum signatures for marketing/promotion?

Unknown

For those that don't know what I mean with ''buying forum signatures''. Many people offer a deal where you pay them a certain amount of money and in exchange they put your website/blog link or details into their forum signature.

I have come across so many different offers that try to sell this option of promoting/marketing. To some extent, I can see it working but only IF:

• the person has an account on one of the extremely popular forums,
  • the person makes daily posts and a very high number of them.

Otherwise, I am a bit skeptical how much traffic or clicks you actually get from buying this service. Also to note; many forums don't allow such form of advertising.

What's your opinion on buying forum signatures for the purposes of marketing and promotion? Have you ever tried it and had any success?

jyy

I think it sounds like an awesome idea. Note, it's a cool form of promotion - aside from guest posting or simply buying ads on Google, Facebook, Bing because - unlike with pop-under companies, you know exactly where the traffic is coming from. Also, I suspect, but I cannot confirm, that a lot of people prefer signature ads to banners. Anyway, though, as the OP suggests you need to be careful when buying though. Make sure you go thru the checklist.

Unknown

Unknown
Yes, that's also what I've been told; people tend to prefer the signature ads versus the banners. I don't know why but a large majority actually hates the banners. Perhaps they feel too ''in your face'' type of thing.

But, have you ever tried purchasing a forum signature from somebody? Also, how to determine the price of such service? If you look at some of the marketplaces... you have so many different pricing. Anywhere from $5 to $80 for a month.

vishwa

I am a Member of big forums like Digitalpoint and Warriorforum from past 5 years and selling Signature ad spaces on them. People buy them to get traffic to their link. Since all forums provide you nofollow backlinks hence it won't give you any SEO score.

hoangvu

hoangvu
Yes it is why people didn't want to buy forum signature any more because they change links in forum signature from dofollow to nofollow or just displaying to registered members.
If someone is offering forum signature on big forum sites with high traffic then I still wold buy it if I am offered with a reasonable price. But as said, it should be dofollow link and that person should have more posts on that forum.

jyy

jyy
On DigitalPoint, at least, a premium account will allow your signature to be visible to guests. Therefore, you need to make sure whoever your buying from has a premium account. Anyway, the do-follow or no-follow stuff seems silly because I don't think forum signatures have much SEO value. Instead, they are just things to get traffic. Note, if I wanted and SEO advantage, then I'd just try guest posting. How about you all?

Unknown

Unknown
Oh? I always thought that Warriorforum only allows link in your signature if it's to your own website, wasn't aware that they allow anything else. How much do you usually charge then? and for how long?

also, you all brought up a good point about the nofollow and dofollow. I completely forgot about that. and I agree with you JerryJo, nofollow backlinks aren't useful for SEO since only humans can follow those.

Thank you all for sharing your opinions! I really enjoy debates like this :)

vishwa

vishwa
Warriorforum still allows website links only. You cannot add any affiliate or other malicious URL there. The price of renting signature depends on the age of the account and how many posts you have.

Unknown

Unknown
Oh, I didn't know that, that's really useful then... since it's a huge forum and I imagine if you manage to buy a signature from somebody that is well-known in their community you still get benefits, even without the SEO score.

I checked some of the platforms that sell these signatures and I found many that offer the dofollow backlinks and high DA PA for really cheap... I wonder how legit it is.

vinaya

I have never bought forum signature, perhaps I will never buy it. I cannot believe that someone will be deligenlty posting on forums while using my signature. When the one who sells forum signature does not post regularly, there is no point of paying for forum signature. On the other hand I may sell my forum signature if soneone is interested in buying. I can use this money to develop my website.

Rob Whisonant

That would actually be a paid endorsement. Would you trust something that is being paying someone JUST to endorse a product?

Would you trust a sig that is being paid for?

Are you willing to possibly ruin your reputation by selling your sig to someone that has a poor product or just rips people off?

I could go on and on. :)

hoangvu

I don't think forum signatures have much SEO value.
"You think" means you have not ever tried it on some high traffic and quality forums and see how SEO will affect to your site :)
As said, links in forum signature are very weak and you need to have more posts on a forum that you are targeting for SEO purpose.

Instead, they are just things to get traffic
This just true a half.

jyy

jyy
I'm not really sure, SEO speaking, if the backlinks from forum signatures are always bad or if they have no effect. Also, I'm not sure, SEO speaking, if the backlinks have a moderately bad effect - and to what degree. Nonetheless, I don't think it's a big deal. I think the other factors of SEO are more powerful. Anyway, a lot of people might not be into SEO, so they don't really care about that aspect.

Oh, by the way, if people simply want forum signatures for traffic, minus the possible SEO damage, then maybe they can work around it. For instance, they could use some kind of third-party domain.

Judas2018

I think it's a useful tool. If the person posts often on those forums and the forum is a very large, active vibrant community. For the right price? It's a worthy investment.

Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.