Have you ever unfollowed someone?

WildSpirit

This seems to be a very common practice on Twitter and can happen for many different reasons. There is no financial question or social prestige... People can unfollow who they want and when they want. Be it an anonymous person or a famous person... Have you ever done it? And if you ever did, did you have any negative effects?

Rob Whisonant

I unfollow people all the time. If I don't enjoy their tweets I unfollow them. Negative effects? Why would you even think that there could be negative effects?

If you don't like someones tweets, that is what unfollow is for. Your not married to them. :)

WildSpirit

WildSpirit
I think exactly like you. :clap:

But for example, let's assume that the person in question is some relative or close friend... Would you act the same way? In my case, it wouldn't change anything. If I don't like it, I don't care to keep in touch anymore (am I an evil person? :violent:)

Simple as that! :rolleyes2:

vinaya

I unfollow people all the time. I unfollow people who spam my feed, I also unfollow people who post things that does interest me. I also unfollow people who ask for favour. I will let go one of two favors but when they began to send messages about favor too many times, I will unfollow him/her. I will always unfollow people who is a trouble maker.

sree31

You can unfollow people on Twitter and Facebook. I do that all the time. The thing is, we start following them for some reason, such as, they share great content, post funny images, or something else. When they stop doing that, then it's advisable to unfollow them, else your news feed will be full of irrelevant updates. They don't get any notification or message about it, if that's what you're concerned about.

bug

I usually do mass follows on twitter and unfollows people that didn't follow me back after a few days. But when regarding someone that I actually didn't like so I unfollowed him, there probably is. There are just some very toxic people in social media at times, very cancerous people, and I just don't want to be around them.

WildSpirit

WildSpirit
Yeah, those kinds of people deserve every kind of isolation (in every single possible way :violent:). I hate them because they don't add anything good wherever they go. Plus, they are always very annoying people. :bash:

freebird37

I do this when I feel like it's necessary. If I'm on my page and somebody posts like 50 posts in a row, they gotta go. I'll unfollow people if they post things that are offensive to me. I unfollow people who take multiple selfies a day, I find that very annoying and shallow. I've never had any negative effects other than the people I've unfollowed that send me new friend requests.

WildSpirit

WildSpirit
I totally understand you. :rolleyes2:

I can't stand those people who post always like crazy (I mean... many posts in a row :bash:)! I stop following these types of people easily... In a blink of the eyes (and no, I don't regret it). :ertery:

moneybags82

Yes, I have unfollowed many people in my time like on Twitter where there are a lot of fake profiles or spammers. There is an actually website which allows you to use daily for free which lets you see which accounts are following you and if they are real or fake. Even show you spammers and the lot it allows you to unfollow those people and also lets you see who is not following you.

jeiss

Yes I have unfollowed a couple of times. Sometimes I unfollow a person when what he/she posts are not relevant to me or if such person starts to tag and send me messages unnecessarily.

WildSpirit

WildSpirit
Basically the people who end up being unfollowed - with justified reasons - are those people who make a point of being boring. :) They should be banned from creating accounts at social media platforms (ok, I'm just kidding... I'm not THAT bad :icon_rock:).

sima061

Of course I did. I don't think that can be a problem - if I dislike them enough to unfollow them, I also dislike them enough not to care if it bothers them. I'm not gonna look at something that annoys me just so someone won't get offended. Who cares, if they posted normal content I'd probably still be following. I have the right not to look if I don't like.

WildSpirit

WildSpirit
It really does not actually become a problem, but I think depending on the person you decide unfollow can at least cause a bad feeling (or something similar). Don't you think?

tim_cloudcone

I've unfollowed people I don't personally know or accounts about things I'm not interested in anymore. But I've never unfollowed someone close to me (generally, people I meet in real life) on any social media platform. I guess I just don't want things to get awkward when we meet.

I've unfollowed a relative once, but I don't actually meet him much. And I didn't feel bad about it. His posts were getting annoying and too much political.

WildSpirit

WildSpirit
That's exactly the problem I'm referring to. When we have some kind of closeness to people, it's a all a little bit weird in person (at least for me, of course). I can't just ignore people as if nothing had happened.

Wyvh

It happened to me a few times. I unfollowed them due to the content they share and publish, like discriminatory and hate content, things that I can't stand.

Kamarsun9

I unfollow people on Twitter and Facebook, and it hasn't had any real negative effects, the people on Facebook don't even know that I don't follow them anymore which is cool because they are still a friend on Facebook, but it their content is too negative for me then I will unfollow a person on Facebook fast. With twitter and Instagram it's bit different, but overall it's been postive for me to unfollow certain people.

victoroj

Yes, I always do this. There are random twitter accounts that follow us, and after following them back they unfollow us after a few days or weeks. That is actually their way to gain followers. If someone unfollowed me, I think it's just right to unfollow them back. Also, if I see too much negativity in someone's posts, I usually unfollow them. I mean it's okay to voice out and say your opinion on Twitter, but if there's too much negativity then we should click the unfollow button.

gelotologist

Yes, i have it's probably the annoying ones. I remember when this person used to chat me all the time then I tell her to stop because she's causing trouble but she never stop and unfollowing or blocking her is the best thing to do in my situation.

Joie

Yes, quite a lot of times. While most people I follow are professional and famous in their field, most of their tweets are purely rants. It takes the positive energy away from you and gives you that bad vibe. Some are spamming; tweeting just to make a point that is probably beyond their control already. I never follow people who curse and/or uses derogatory remarks against a person so I'm a little at peace with that. I love Twitter because of intelligent conversations and less stressful environment. In case there's some trolls, I do the report- spam or disrespectful remarks - block.

Yayish

Seeing or readings omething that is worth your your time is of course a time well spent. Haha! Unfollowing someone on social media is very normal. One of the reasons is that I don't like what they are posting and seeing them on my timeline is just a waste of time. Another reason why I unfollow people is that they don't follow me back. They should return the favor. Haha! But there is an exemption to celebrities of course! It is given that they don't just follow anyone who follows them. Personally, it doesn't have negative effects. For some people maybe, because they won't be updated about that person's post anymore.

jessicarousey

I do it every time! Some people have a strategy wherein they follow you and once you follow back they will then unfollow you. A way to for them to earn followers. I always encounter these kinds of situations, I dont follow back to uninteresting profiles though but it happens if it is someone I know or an interesting profile which gives me the urge to followback. Now eveytime I see an unfamiliar post from an unfamiliar person I will unfollow them right away. This is pretty normal, happens all the time. :)

khayie

Yes I do! I think I'll be doing that once in a while when I feel necessary. Managing the content of your social media account is important because it's what you see every time you open your account. Filter and stay away from negative people and annoying individuals who are not worth your time.

The first time I unfollowed someone is due to his constant negative posts to the point that he thinks of committing suicide. I didn't pity him, rather I felt annoyed because it's too much drama. Too much vanity also is very unfavorable. There are those who post selfies everyday and broadcast every detail of their life. Hello diary? We've come to an age where there's so much freedom on self-expression in the internet and the more that we have to manage things that appear in our pages.

mildredtabitha

This seems to be a very common practice on Twitter and can happen for many different reasons. There is no financial question or social prestige... People can unfollow who they want and when they want. Be it an anonymous person or a famous person... Have you ever done it? And if you ever did, did you have any negative effects?

I mostly unfollow inactive users and those who retweet follow trains all the time. I also unfollow those who tweet or retweet tweets written in a language I don't understand.

I have also unfollowed my ex since their tweets started annoying me. :D

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views