Do I really need dedicated hosting?

JoeClark

Hello,

I have been trying to set up a server app that creates graphics using the GD library etc.
The app comes in a number of diff flavours depending on the CPU and OS. So I got on to my hosting company and asked them what the hardware was. Unfortunately they couldn't tell me that since I am on shared hosting.
I was told I would have to get shared hosting, since I can't be sure that applications such as this will work on shared or virtual.
The thing is, this is the only reason to go to dedicated. The site doesn't get a huge amount of traffic, and there isn't a huge processor load from scripts/dbase calls.
Is there another option I do I have to go dedicated if I want this app to work?

Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you.

Marc van Leeuwen

Premium Member
The thing is, this is the only reason to go to dedicated. The site doesn't get a huge amount of traffic, and there isn't a huge processor load from scripts/dbase calls.
Is there another option I do I have to go dedicated if I want this app to work?
Your site doesn't have high traffic and you are wanting to setup any apps on a hosting server hence I think a VPS will be suitable to your requirements.
You should check this section https://www.webmastersun.com/forums/131-vps-hosting-offers out, make sure that you should contact providers there first so see who has best support.
In the other words, if your apps do requires more resources to work which a VPS can not accommodate then you should go with a dedicated server.

Hope that helps!

channave

As your site isn't getting high traffic, I would suggest you switch to Cloud Hosting provider like DigitalOcean. You can configure high-end server here which comes with the low cost as compared to the dedicated server.

Promoguy

I use inmotion hosting.

I tested my shared hosting account by sending around 20k traffic in a day. It worked fine, took the hit nicely. So shared hosting can handle high traffic volumes. The problem is when visitors visit at same time.

VPS, as stated earlier, would be best option. It is the bridge between shared and dedicated. Most think they need dedicated, but a VPS is enough.

OP, which host do you use?

Rob Whisonant

Did you ask your host to install the GD library? Any good host will do that for you even on shared hosting. If they refuse or give you some excuse.... Move to a better hosting company.

virtubox

virtubox
GD library is always enabled with all php versions. But some php functions are probably disabled to secure their servers, or to avoid any excessive resource usage.
But any vps with/without a control panel should be enough for your application, GD image processing doesn't use a lot of resources like ffmpeg or imagemagick

tech26873

Thanks for your nice question,If your app is getting the low traffic shared hosting is best for you , because shared hosting which saves the cost and for low traffic it gives the better peformance.Coming to the dedicated server,If your site is getting the high traffic and has many features on your app then the will suits your requirement

HostLittle

It sounds like you don't need a dedicated server just yet. But it does sound like you need more customization and control, I can recommend Digital Ocean as well for a VPS that fits your needs. You can start with a small $5-$10 / month server and scale up to a massive server.

HostmeJa

You seem to be unclear of the requirement of the app.I recommend contact the developer of the app and find the minimal requirements. If it requires a server then there no way around it. But it wouldn't be practical if you experiment with different options if you are unclear of requirements. Also you can find server that cost $20-$30+ and there are some free panels that can allow you to manage your server. Also have you consider any other software or outsource something like it? Can we know what software maybe we can provide better alternate.

EzzyTech-Sakib

As you don't have huge traffic and if the App isn't too much heavy, you don't need to go for a dedicated server. You better choose a VPS which will minimize your cost. But unmanaged VPS/Dedicated need clear technical knowledge. So befor choosing any company make sure their support is good enough.

Older threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.