Is there such a thing as non-transferable domain?

chatterbox

I recently signed up with the local hosting company that my friend recommended. I didn't want to bother with buying a domain from another domain registrar so I also registered a domain with them. I recently did a whois look up and found that it has privacy protection and that the domain registrar was Namecheap. I also did a whois look up on my friend's site. Her domain registrar was GoDaddy but she didn't have privacy protection. Another caption caught my attention on the whois result for both domains:

Domain Status:clientTransferProhibited

Does this mean that we can't transfer the domain to another hosting company in the future? Does this also mean that we can't sell the domain?

Rob Whisonant

Means it is registrar locked. You have to login to the registrar account and unlock it. It's a protection feature that helps to prevent domain theft.

If only your host has access to the registrar account, you are at their mercy. They may let you transfer it or they may not. If only they have registrar access, they own the domain and not you.

hynds

Does this mean that we can't transfer the domain to another hosting company in the future? Does this also mean that we can't sell the domain?
By default, after purchasing a domain, it's locked for security. So that you need to unlock it first to transfer to another registrar or to another guy. You can sell it normally without any problem :)

hostguy

ClientTransferProhibited status is for domain lock, you can contact your domain provider regarding this.
They will disable it for you. Also domain transferred is disabled for newly registered domain. Its better to confirm with domain registrar regarding domain transfer.

Older threads
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.