Is it a good idea to start a web designing website?

PenguinManiac

Web design is a great niche to get into to develop skills that could possibly land you a job, to make your resume more attractive, or simply to spend some time while making money or not.
There are plenty of web designers out there, though, and standing out, of course, can be hard. You have to work on your own projects or work for others to build up a respectable portfolio, you have to get your name known by working for free to get some promotion and so on.
However, there are other ways to achieve renown, and one of them is creating a web designing website. Tips and advices, particular techniques or tricks, general guidelines, WIP updates while you're working on another project and so on.

How effective would it be compared to the aforementioned alternative (portfolio)? Ideally you would want to work on both, but that's not always (if ever) possible because of time restrictions.

Promoguy

If you are dedicated and focus on it, then why not.

Here is a way for you to make money with websites

1. Sign up to a host affiliate programme.

2. They pay you xxx amount for each person you sign up. Usual is $50 to $100.

3. Offer to set up website for customer for FREE. Design it FREE.

4. But sign them via your affiliate link.

You get your affiliate commission. Customer gets free design/set up. Win win.

Reactions: PenguinManiac

PenguinManiac

PenguinManiac
Damn, that's one clever idea, thank you! Do hosting affiliate programmes really offer that much?
Plus, hosting a website on a platform you're affiliated with could also prove useful to assure a quicker assistance to your customers. It really is a win-win.
I assume even bigger web designers do that, right? With the difference that they also charge a price for the design itself.

Promoguy

Yes. Between $50 to $100 per sign up is normal.

You could always outsource the design work, and get it done for cheap.

PenguinManiac

PenguinManiac
I had a look around and that definitely seems the case for all major hosting companies, which are what you'll want to suggest to your customers.
And here is another smart idea. I think that would make it harder to provide quick support, though, and it could turn counterproductive if you don't know this external designer well.

Promoguy

Depends where you look for the designer. There are platforms where you can check feedback and so on. So you know when you deal with reputable sellers.

You know, you could always suit up and go to local businesses and offer them this.

PenguinManiac

PenguinManiac
I imagine prices tend to go hand in hand with average feedback score though, huh? I guess it's all about finding compromises there to get the best value out of your money and find good deals.
That could work well in the right areas, you know? I'm still a student, so it's hard to find the time to try this, but it looks like a very intriguing idea.

Promoguy

A student? You have plenty of potential customers around you - other students. Maybe not web design, but there are plenty of other things out there you could try.

Find out what your fellow students need. Once you have, I can point you in right direction if I can.

PenguinManiac

PenguinManiac
Heh, most of my friends are either broke or tight on money (as am I), and even other students are in similar situations. Plus, most of them haven't got enough free time to dedicate themselves to other projects so important they require a monetary investment. Furthermore, I don't think I'd feel comfortable asking them to pay me for any kind of service. I guess I'm yet to get a job-like mentality :/
Thanks for the tip, though!

rozzski89

How effective would it be compared to the aforementioned alternative (portfolio)? Ideally you would want to work on both, but that's not always (if ever) possible because of time restrictions.
If you have already got a good web designing website and offering many good features there then joining freelancer sites or forums will help you to connect many potential customers.
Especially on webmasters, web designer forums, there are more people needing web design services for their websites and you can easily to get some clients quickly without spending more time.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.