Is Facebook safe?

bug

Controversies around Facebook had been there since the site began. The rumors about Facebook stealing your private information and selling it to other agencies for profit. Of course, Facebook denied this rumor and a lot of people moved on with their lives. Sometime in 2012, PRISM was exposed to the public and Edward Snowden told the public that Facebook and Google were among the companies that steals your personal data. Both companies have denied this, but can we really trust them their words? What do you guys think?

freebird37

That's some interesting information. I automatically just assume and pretty much believe that anything I do on Facebook is open to the whole world. I'm careful about what I do on there and what I post. Not that I would do anything bad anyway. If you follow conspiracy theories there are a lot of people who believe that we are being monitored and influenced by not only Facebook but all media. I didn't use to buy into that, but I do now.

Rob Whisonant

Many companies sell combined data about their users. This is actually pretty standard. They also use it to market to advertisers.

This type of data does not give anyone any information that can identify you personally.

I don't have any problems with this at all since when you get something for free, (use of Facebook for example) YOU are the product.

Now the ones that sell your (unlisted) telephone and address along with your name... Note I said UNLISTED... Since listed phones and addresses are available through public channels anyway... I do have a problem with and will stop doing business with them immediately.

A couple of the MMO marketers selling (pay shipping only) physically shipped books have been caught red handed doing this.

JoeMilford

I am pretty much with you on this one, Rob. I can be a bit paranoid about this type of thing, but as long as certain lines are not crossed, I understand bundling demographics and surveyed data and sharing that within corporate and research environments.

Angel07

I believe that they don't steal our information, they already own our information even if we don't know it, selling it to other companies to gain profit wouldn't be a surprise, that's why we need to be careful with the information we share, everything that is on the internet can be hacked and used for other purposes, I don't think Facebook is safe from a general point of view but nothing in the world is safe, we can't stop to live our lives to avoid risks, social medias are an important part of society today, it helps you to build a social and professional life, however, we must be careful with our information and be aware that problems may happen.

fredoman

In my own opinion. I think Facebook now is one of or not the safest social media platform today. It's even safer that your yahoo mail. But there are issues arising that Facebook might be stealing our private information, with out us knowing it. Well we can not prove that and we just have to give them the benifit of the doubt since all of us are benefiting from Facebook.

Belts

On my own experience, I could say that Facebook is not safe anymore. I've been using Facebook for eight years, at the first five years of using it I feel safe but sadly there was a time that my account was hacked and someone was using it so I think Facebook is not that safe anymore. Anyone could steal our private information.

yanlang

I think it depends. It depends on how you use it. Facebook is safe if only you are wise enough not to totally trust it with all of your belongings that determines who you are. I mean why not keep those private things 'private' for only you to know it? It's just a matter of common sense. Wait. I am not angry or anything. I am just stating a fact as an opinion of mine. So please bare with me. A friendly advise of mine, though. Thank you for reading.

romadelgado

I think Facebook is still safe because it doesn't cross any boundary on my part. Personally at first I was really afraid to share my personal information. So I did not really put a lot of information about myself on this media account. For me, If you don't feel like sharing your details, then don't post or write something that is too personal.And once you engage here, you must be responsible enough, do not post something that might hurt or insult others or even yourself. Just be selective on what you like to post or say. And, don't contain all your information if you don't feel like sharing it.

joey_2tep

Rumors say that facebook is being used by the government or any agencies of government to spy people. Like they are watching on people's private information and their whereabouts and etc. They always say the information you post on facebook is 100% safe and you can control how it is shared through your privacy settings. Of course any violation of people's privacy is punishable by law. To be on the safe side, well, we must think that in everything we do, we should be responsible enough to protect your own privacy. Most of all, always be aware of the possible consequences before you click that little button "share" beacuse that might take you to a huge mess.

michelle camo

I believe so, I have my facebook account for 8 years now and I can say that nothing happened yet and I hope nothing will happen. i Think for you to avoid any hacking that will happen to your account, you, yourself should be careful in what you post and be careful to add a friend that you don't really know.

szerjhex18

For me now facebook is not safe anymore because the rumor that spreading that they steal our personal info and sell it to make a profit? i don't have proof about it but its better to be more careful.
But they are other reason why i'm saying it is not safe anymore based on my friends experience .Because of some people that might steal your photo online and making a fake account for their personal needs, people that you really don't know personally, those people using it in some social media sites like dating site or something and using it in a bad way. It's alarming because you will never know what are they gonna do about the photo that they steal right?
That's why I'm very careful about uploading photo on my facebook account. i dont need to upload picture that's not appropriate to some peoples news feed. My friends ,my family knows me for who i am and i don't need to impress them just to get a like . So just guys you know, be careful what you upload and don't be at ease because your account is in private because there is no such thing as "private' to those hackers. it's annoying.

Sandrakim

The safety of your personal information depends solely on how you manage it. It is really up to you what you wanted your audience to see or what you choose them to know about you. However, this media has never been proven to be of safety at all.

AmieBotella

I have a friend whose account has been hacked also by someone. Even the email for retrieval was changed. I told her to report it so that the account will be put down. Who knows what these hackers will do while using her identity? Her photos and everything. So I urged her to report it. I haven't had any follow up with her about what she did. I have to ask you though, what did you do when your account was compromised? Were you able to retrieve it and change it?

Facebook information is already with facebook once we agreed to sign up for them. My take on this is be careful. Do not share anything personal. Our information can be bought by other companies for marketing etc. But for me, I am okay with that as long as they are used for anything legal. What annoys me most is the telephone companies here in my country that will sell information that most probably can be used to compromise your bank account.

josereyjesus

Let's not start with all of those propaganda and theories spread on the internet. Let's focus on facebook as a social media paltform. Of course it's not safe. Facebook is as public as it can get even though it says that your posts are in private. At the end of the day, you don't own the space you're living in.

iamreeence

Well come to think of it, does Facebook really sell information of their users to other companies? Even if they do so, do you really think other companies or sites you've entrusted with your information doesn't do the same thing? What if your telephone company sells your information too? And on the first place, when we started to sign up for them we agreed to share our information with them even if we don't know them personally. So why are we just starting to complain right now? It is really okay that Facebook makes money out of our information, I'm pretty sure that it is for a good purpose, like for example, accurate distribution of advertisements. They are providing our locations, the age, interests and more for an accurate distribution or allocation of ads. It won't benefit them solely but also us users.

yenixer

Facebook was created as a tool for socialization and when someone interact with one another they often exchange information about themselves and also share ideas. If facebook or google keeps or steals information and use it for profit without the user's knowledge, I guess it is not in the user's control anymore as they already shared their personal information. If you have decided to create a facebook account you must not expect that everything that you have shared will stay private. If you wish that your personal data information safe, I suggest you have to think first before sharing any information about yourself. Personally I don't fully trust any privacy security that many site provides but I have just to be selective in giving my personal information.

yajia92

Facebook is somehow safe but if you are too public that's when the problem starts. Facebook is a social media platform where everyone can interact with each other. Your friends and even the general public can view your profile. It's with you then if you allow others to have access to your profile. Basically in facebook you can post anything but you can set limitations to who can view it. Personal and private picture should be kept private(better not to upload it) if you don't want others to feast with it. In reality once you engage yourself to any social media platform it is like you have open a part of your life to the public already. Don't post everything to be safe.

msg17

I think it depends on the way you use it. As we all know, Facebook was created for the members or the users to have the opportunity to socialize. For me socialization is completely safe if you really know who you are talking to. But, in my perspective, socialization, can also be dangerous. Specifically if you do not know who you are socializing with. So, I suggest that users must only start a conversation to those whom they are familiar with. So that they would not have any worries about their safety on the said website.

yajtagaamo

I think it is still safe but everyone must remain vigilant with sharing information of your life online. Because people can now use the information you shared online to commit crimes. Overall we must be responsible adults to think before we click and we must also protect the children from these potential dangers.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
bug
Replies