Earn money from transcribing audio?

bug

There are a lot of ways to earn money online, and transcribing audio is one of them. What you basically do is you listen to the audio they provide, and you will use their software to transcribe everything that you hear. The verbatim varies from whichever company you work for, some will require you to do a clean verbatim, and some will require to do a full verbatim, and there are some who wants you to make a mix of both. These sites typically pay you per audio minute, not the actual time it took to transcribe an audio, but the time a certain audio ranges. You will have to pass the tests they give you before you can start transcribing, I wish you all good luck if you decide to try it out :)

Xperienced

Wow, bug thanks for sharing. I'm interested in this opportunity i.e earning online through transcribing audios. I'd like you to help me with the detailed information about some of the companies you already work with that you can vouch for. I promise to in turn help you with some softwares I stumbled on that can help make the transcribing process easier to do.

Unknown

Unknown
Hey Xperienced,

yes, earning money through different transcribing companies is a very common thing nowadays. It isn't too hard to make some cash, however, a lot of these online companies have a bit low pay rate if you consider the quality of audios and the minutes that you do as a transcriber. It is still a viable way to earn though.

I have done a few transcription session myself but do note that most companies have a test that you have to initially pass in order to even begin working for them.

Pink_Turtle

Thanks for this information. I didnt know this exists! But I’m sure I’d like to try it. Do you know the name of the site? I really would like to know more about it.

joed77

There are a lot of ways to earn money online, and transcribing audio is one of them. What you basically do is you listen to the audio they provide, and you will use their software to transcribe everything that you hear. The verbatim varies from whichever company you work for, some will require you to do a clean verbatim, and some will require to do a full verbatim, and there are some who wants you to make a mix of both. These sites typically pay you per audio minute, not the actual time it took to transcribe an audio, but the time a certain audio ranges. You will have to pass the tests they give you before you can start transcribing, I wish you all good luck if you decide to try it out :)
Hello bug,
Do you transcribe live or they give you an audio and you transcribe it at your leisure.
What's clean and full verbatim.
And finally, do they have other languages, like french.

sorry for the successive interrogatory:smart:

Unknown

Unknown
You generally have clean and full verbatim.

Clean verbatim; just as the word itself says. You must transcribe in a way so you receive a ''clean'' text. That means you do not transcribe any utterances of speaking such as ''Mhm, Uhm'', filler words, background noises, ...

Full verbatim; this is the opposite of the clean. You transcribe EVERYTHING you hear. Literally, everything and this verbatim can be harder to do and it is definitely far more time consuming.

Most often you also need to time stamp the whole conversation or audio file. Companies have their own set of rules for each verbatim as well.

No, you don't do the transcription live. The clients upload the files and then you can choose which one you want to work on. But it isn't at your leisure because once you accept a file, you usually have a time limit in which you must get the job done.

Do they have other languages? Some companies but very rarely. The majority is just English transcription ;)

Reactions: joed77

joed77

joed77
Thank you very much, It was clear and concise, this gonna be a reference for all those who want to transcribe:icon_rock:
As for me, I'm heading directly to some of those website and get some money.

carla281

I have heard of transcription jobs but have a few questions. How many words per minute is required and can you make a good living doing this type of work. I have seen quite a few of these types of jobs listed on YouTube.

josh30

Hello every one! If you are really good at typing and you can listen and understand people in an audio or video, you can earn so much in transcribing. There are a lot of websites that are giving very very big compensation when transcribing an audio. Some of the example for that is Transcribeme.com, just give it a try there nothing you can loose.

shilpa

I don't think that pays well. I have heard from a few friends of mine about some of the transcribing websites, and they said that it was all useless. They just earned about $10 dollars in a week. And they were penalized twice as much as they earned if they made any mistakes; so the earning to penalty ratio is way too over. You'd earn a few cents for your good work but you'll lose twice that when you commit a mistake. So it's not worthy, in my opinion. Instead one could look for more legitimate ways to earn.

BelindaMT

BelindaMT
Shilpa,
Your friend is right. I work in transcribeMe and it's not worth my time. There is a lot of English Transcriber so you have a lot of competitors. Unless you know how to transcribe Japanese, Spanish, Chinese, German, French, etc, then you will earn what you deserved.

martindrox

How much do you get paid? can't transcribing companies just hire regular employees for this particular job? I heard that they even put you through a test to see if you're able to do such job which is pretty understandable but what are the chances of getting accepted? also let's say you got a transcribing job to do, do they need to approve your work? what if they didn't like it. Doesn't that mean that you just wasted your time on nonsense? I asked to much questions, I'm just curious about how this works!

Unknown

Unknown
How much you get paid depends and it varies from every company... also some companies have it set so the longer somebody doesn't take a particular file, the higher its value goes. But generally speaking around 6 minutes per audio can go anywhere from $0.50 all the way up to $1+.

Yes, I think that every single transcription company will put you through a test. I am part of a few and they all had a test, some even more than one. I don't know what the chances of getting accepted are, haha. Nobody will tell you that! Just try your best to follow the instructions and you shouldn't get rejected unless they're full.

Yes, every job that you submit gets additionally reviewed at least once by an editor. The editor goes through your transcription and then fixes any errors you've made. After that, they also rate/grade you. If you've made many mistakes then you will obviously get a lower rating. Certain companies require let's say a rating 3 out 5 to be able to continue working.

@joed77, no problem! I am glad to be able to help you out. Good luck getting accepted and earning.

kielrivera

Hey there's a website called Fiverr that offers earning money from transcribing audio. It's kinda freelancer site wherein you can sell yourself, make a gig, do their projects, and many more. Transcribing audio includes there. You can earn $5 and up there.

karlaaaaaa

Yes, most of the website that offers transcribing services are requiring applicants to undergo tests. You will listen to the Audio and you will type in words depending on the instructions, also aside from clean verbatim or full verbatim, there are other instructions to be followed. Most of these require applicants to achieve Zero errors. Luckily there are still a lot of websites to try on.

sarsino

I agree with you transcribing is another way of online earning job. I've already sign up for several transcribing online job. Hope to get transcribing job soon.

hotcrossbunboy

Transcribing jobs are easy if you're good at listening and have near-perfect spelling and grammar skills. They're not so easy when the audio given is low-quality, with characteristics like muffled speech, too much crosstalk, or loud background noises. I work for Rev part-time. I've managed to maintain a 5 star rating, and I've recently applied for captioning videos in addition to transcribing audio. I made roughly $70 dollars in a week after transcribing 2 hours of audio in total. To tell you the truth, Rev expects very good work in exchange for very low pay. The fact that some clients can give bad audio and pay only $0.40 per minute of audio is downright criminal to me. But I enjoy typing and learning about subject matter that's foreign to me. I don't have time to work an actual job, so I'll stick with Rev until I've built up at least a year of transcribing experience.

Does anyone have suggestions for better websites? I've heard of Fiverr and Upwork, both very competitive. I've heard of Tigerfish and TranscribeMe.

Shiraaz

I have been a Certified Transcriber. I can tell you now that it is something feasible to look into if you looking for a job to work from home. I also know people who make a living out of it. Some companies pay well and some are mediocre. You have to undergo a test and if approved, you become a certified transcriber. The important thing to do is study the company's style guide as well as you can and if you make it through the test, you can start earning money straight after. Transcribing is very flexible in terms of time and the amount of work you can do. Its a great freelance job for those looking to make some extra cash or for those who want to make it a full-time job.

kielrivera

I already knew some transcribing sites like Transcribeme, GoTranscript and Scribie. They pay pretty enough but I haven't still tried these sites, I will also give a feedback ones I started working there.

ColdFlameChris

I've been earning money in GoTranscript already. I can say it's not gonna give you a high pay but it can still give you enough if you work hard and spend some real time to earn money. But I'm still gonna try some other Transcription site as my alternative options. Thanks for your post.

anor0428

I have read this in a forum days ago. The earning depends on the site that you applied, some pays little while some pays double than the other. There are also sites that gives you bonus if you complete certain hours of transcription. You can also use softwares that enhance the audio for better listening to avoid mistakes. Just give your best to the initial test for higher rank and higher pay.

Rebara19

I have already heard about it but haven´t found a site which would pay me due to my geographical location. Find out first whether this isn´t your case! Nonetheless, it´s generally easy when you know the language as you don´t need to buy anything and can do with a laptop only. This job is also time-flexible so when you make the transcription is up to you but always have a motto: "Quality first and foremost." Otherwise it will take neccessarily long time till you get paid.

johnrajiv123

I really don't want to be the ultimate detractor of the online transcribing industry but I will speak based on experience. Yes they promise easy work and competent payment. I mean how hard can transcribing be? But most of the times, what we see is just the tip of the iceberg. To begin with, they pay very low to the point that it does not justify the amount of time you need to spend in order to do the work. Secondly, you don't get a lot of work. Most of the times they will notify you thru e-mail if there is an available work. A busy person like me can't afford to periodically check my e-mail/s. Last but not the least, the competition is tough. They will send the work to multiple transcribers and review the work. Only the best transcriber will be paid. Imagine having to work an hour transcribing only to not get paid because someone else did a better transcribing.

tiffiecute

I've been working in Scribie and believe me it's hard. They pay you little for an almost perfect job. You need to spend almost 2 hours for a single file and you'll receive about half a dollar. Sadly to know, you need to transcribe 20 files just to earn $10 a day.

Viggn

Transcription jobs are not usually easy to do. I am speaking from experience. I transcribe videos/audios in crowdsource. You get paid between $0.05-$0.13 for an audio of 18 to 23 seconds. I love the job because it is quite challenging but it is something I do on my free time. Before you can join, you have to undergo both transcription test and grammar test.

The only challenge there is the ability to hear the intonation of the speaker. Apart from that, it is quite a nice way of earning extra income online.

Older threads
Replies
Views
bug
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.