How do I change my Post ID on WordPress?

jeiss

A post id is a unique number given to a particular item (post) on a website. Most web pages have a unique post id that distinguishes them from other pages. I ran into a bit of a trouble while doing some page modifications on my site. I accidentally deleted a page which was an important traffic source for me. I want to make a similar page and use the previous post id for it.

Does anyone know how I can edit my post id?

ron13315

changing post ID in wordpress is a bad idea,

I assume that your are using plain option in permalink that displaying your post id like this --> yoursite.com/?p=123

Its better to use postname in permalink also good for SEO, something like this --> yoursite.com/sample-post

check your settings > permalink

Reactions: Mr.Juan

jeiss

jeiss
Yes I am. I thought this doesn't affect SEO and hat matters most is the content therein. Could I have misjudged that fact?

I'll give it a try and get back to you soon. I hope it tuns out the way I want it. This whole ish is giving me a headache.

Marc van Leeuwen

Premium Member
Best answer
Does anyone know how I can edit my post id?
For any reasons, you are wanting to change post id for a specific post on your Worpress blog then it is possible to do that by open your phpmyadmin from your web hosting control panel
and finding in the wp_posts table

change-post-id-in-Wordpress.png

Click on Edit and type a number as you wanted.

change-post-id-in-Wordpress-1.png

Keep in mind that that number is unique and not same as other ID in that table.

Hope that helps!

ron13315

Yes I am. I thought this doesn't affect SEO and hat matters most is the content therein. Could I have misjudged that fact?
seo friendly url or link contain keywords that explain the article, and they’re easy to read by both humans and search engines.

vishwa

First of all when you accidentally deleted the post, It will moved to trash section, have you checked it? or you have already empty the trash? if yes than there is no way to restore it. You can create a new post with same title and content and use custom Permalink structure. It will automatically get indexed by Google.

ryo ionut

As far as I know the post ID is sequential and numerical, and cannot be changed from that format.
If you raised this because you are looking to update the url structure you can do so in Permalinks Settings.

Dopani

Dopani
I agree a bit more with you but as I knew Post ID can be changed directly on database but take care on that because they have relationships together, between tables in a database so if you change post ID then need to change related ID on other tables and make sure that ID on all tables is updated.

fxtriangle

The simple way to change to some ID would be to just create a new post and copy data over (through admin or with code either). Post ID of a post also reflect in tables other than Post table, like post comments table

morissyn

I agree that the easiest way out of the situation is to copy the page and create a new one. In any case, it will be indexed by Google and soon added to the search engine queries.

morissyn

To change the post ID, you need to directly edit this number in the database - you can do this with phpMyAdmin. Open phpMyAdmin, select the database used for your site and go to the SQL tab. Run the following query:
UPDATE wp_posts SET ID= NEW_ID WHERE ID=OLD_ID;
OLD_ID is the current post ID you want to change
The NEW_ID is the ID you want to change the old one to
Example:
UPDATE wp_posts SET ID=185 WHERE ID=180;
185 is the new post ID, 180 is the old post ID.

Daniel@30

Unfortunately, changing the Post ID in WordPress is not possible as the Post ID is automatically assigned by WordPress when a post is created. This ID is used internally by WordPress to identify and retrieve the post, and it cannot be changed without causing potential issues with the database and other plugins or themes that rely on this ID. It's best to avoid relying on Post IDs in your code or customizations and instead use the post's URL slug or the get_post() function to retrieve posts by their content rather than their ID.

Pandit dev sharma

It is not possible to directly change the Post ID in WordPress. You can, however, update the post slug to change the URL. To do this, go to your post editor, click “Permalink,” and change the URL.

Make sure that you are redirecting old URLs to new URLs for consistency. You can use a plugin such as Redirection to do this.

Always back up your site before making these changes to avoid any issues.

Keep in mind that changing the post IDs may affect links and may affect your SEO.

wilsonjames

Rather than altering the URL structure to accommodate the same post name, it's advisable to create a new page with a unique name and then perform a redirect from the old URL to the new one. This method maintains clarity in the URL structure while providing a seamless transition for users from the old page to the updated content.

zinavoindia

In WordPress, changing a post ID requires advanced knowledge. It involves database modifications, generally advised against due to potential complications. Seek guidance from experienced developers or utilize plugins cautiously.

curlware

Changing the Post ID in WordPress is generally not recommended, as it can potentially lead to issues with links, functionality, and data consistency. However, if you have a specific need to change a Post ID, you might consider the following cautionary steps.

Note: Always make a backup of your WordPress site before making significant changes.

Here are the steps to change a Post ID in WordPress:

1. Install a Plugin:
    • To change Post IDs, you can use a plugin like "Post Type Switcher" or "Simple Post Type Switcher." Install and activate one of these plugins.
  2. Edit the Post:
    • Go to the WordPress dashboard.
    • Navigate to "Posts" and open the post you want to edit.
  3. Change Post Type:
    • In the post editor, locate the "Publish" box.
    • Next to "Status" and "Visibility," you should see "Post Type." Use the dropdown menu to switch the post type (e.g., from "Post" to "Page" or vice versa).
  4. Update the Post:
    • After changing the post type, click the "Update" button to save the changes.
  5. Change Post Type Back (Optional):
    • If you switched the post type, you might want to switch it back to its original type to maintain the intended functionality. Repeat steps 2-4, changing the post type back to its original setting.
  6. Adjust Permalinks and Links (Important):
    • Changing the Post ID can impact permalinks and links throughout your site. You'll need to update any internal or external links pointing to the post manually.
  7. Check for Issues:
    • After making changes, thoroughly check your website to ensure that there are no issues with links, functionality, or data consistency.
Keep in mind that altering the core functionality of WordPress posts, including their IDs, can have unintended consequences. It's essential to understand the implications and thoroughly test your website after making such changes. If you're not comfortable with these steps, consider seeking assistance from a developer or using alternative methods to achieve your goals without changing Post IDs.

If you want to change your post ID in WordPress, it cannot be edited directly in the platform's interface, as it is a unique identifier assigned at the time of creation. However, you can use Simple Post Notes and Custom Post Type UI plugins to assign custom IDs or edit a post's database record directly from PHPMyAdmin while maintaining database integrity. Always back up your database before making any changes.

gplforever.com

To change your Post ID on WordPress, you can use a plugin called "Simple Post Order". Install and activate the plugin, then navigate to the plugin's settings. From there, you can easily change the Post ID by editing the post and manually entering the desired ID.

Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.