Shared hosting - how many visitors can it really handle?

Unknown

Hello everybody,

I am currently using shared hosting but I have no clue about how many daily visitors and traffic can it handle? When should I consider switching over to dedicated hosting? Do you have any personal experience where you just had too many unique daily visitors and the shared hosting wasn't good enough?

Also, on what factors does the number depend on? Just the hosting company/platform or something else?

Please share your opinions and advice. Thank you very much in advance :)

vishwa

On average I have seen That Shared web hosting can handle 10 to 20k visitors per month. However it will depend the nature of your site and quality of your shared hosting providers. Sites with large content and huge visitors can go with VPS.

Soulwatcher

It all depends on what script your running and how many plugins. I would say a realistic number of be 15~25 wordpress visitors and about 10~15 forum visitors. And that's plus or minus, anything more than that and your web host is forsure going to be limiting your hosting account.

And a good thing to do is to check and see if you have been limited from your control panel once traffic picks up. Because if your website is slow loading your going to take a penalty from google and your not going to have those visitors for very long.

Rob Whisonant

It's also going to depend on the other accounts on the shared server. You can have 1 user using 99% of the resources and then nobody can get to your site. Also many hosts oversell shared hosting.

If at all possible, get an entry level VPS and upgrade it as you grow.

Unknown

Ah, damn. I didn't realize how restricted you really seem to be with the shared hosting and the visitors. I wish I knew this earlier and just went to the dedicated server hosting right away.

Either way, thank you, everybody, for giving me the information. I will definitely look into the possibility to get VPS instead of trying to deal with the slow loading pages and more. It just seems to be the better option if you want to grow and expand ;)

LeatherCrafting

I currently own a forum and have at least 30 members all online with over 500 guests online at one time and I am on shared hosting and it seems to not have touch the surface on the shared hosting.

Hopefully this doesn't changed.

Newer threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.