Rate for a web design

jovean

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to know something. I hired a friend who is good in website designing, I told him I want a blog website design. He told me that making a design need to be meticulous especially for a blog. I just wanted to know how much is the rate for a website design for blogs and if I hired him to be my website developer is it another job or its the same?

JohnV

Some people say it might be better to keep business and friendship apart - if it goes wrong, you lose both. To find out how much a job should cost, it would probably be a good idea to go to an outsourcing agency (Fiverr etc.) and submit exact details of what you want. You should receive a range of offers to help you make your decision.

Mike001

I laughed when I read ron13315 response to this question. The old saying that you get what you pay for comes to mind when I read his answer.

I good website design, especially for a Blog type site can run anywhere from a couple hundred dollars to thousands depending upon what you want. Designing a good blog, that is pleasing to the eye takes a special talent. There is a big difference between a web designer and a web developer.

I have been a web developer for close to 20 years, and I can take a design and write all the front and back end code that is needed to make that design functional. But my design skills are very limited... It takes an artistic person to design a well balanced website. Someone that has an eye for color, contrast, and a look that makes users want to stay and visit.

Designers are unique in what they design, they do not copy existing sites as that would go against there creative nature. They want their design to stand out, be unique and eye pleasing. Much of that would depend on the type of site you want designed for. Let's face it a blog on technology, would look much different than a blog on punk rock or rap music, those would look much different than a blog on fashion design. You need to find someone that you are comfortable working with and that can take constructive criticism. Many artistic people have a problem with criticism, they do not handle it well, again this goes to the nature of their creative ability.

I also have to agree with JohnV, mixing business and friendship normally leads to disaster. You usually lose either the business, the friendship, or both.

Find someone you are comfortable with, in writing list out your requirements and some ideas on how you would like the blog to appear. Have that person make you a couple quick design ideas, narrow down the ones you like and move on from their.

Designing anything is a process, take your time, be candid with your designer, bring your developer into the process after a concept has been agreed on, and determine what would be needed to develop the idea into a working site.

And remember you get, what you pay for. Going the cheapest route normally will net you the cheapest return.

I hope this helps.

Sase3119

To echo what the others have said here, hiring friends usually doesn't work out well.
If they produce something you don't like, are you going to be comfortable telling them you'd like them to try something different? If they're not meeting deadlines, are you going to be comfortable talking to them about it?
I would recommend finding a freelancer or similar to do it instead. They will tell you their rates and you can decide whether you're comfortable with it or not.

MattCarson

Hello, jovean! Designing and developing are the different thing. And I don't want to critique the cost of your friend's design. Because I don't know about his design sense. But normally it will cost 30$-50$ at least.

SIG

Hi,

A custom designed and coded WordPress theme costs around $400. Of course it depends from who you purchase the unique theme, from which part of the world, and what features do you want to be added in the theme.

For example in the USA, everything is much expensive than in Europe, Asia, etc.

Hope this helps.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.