What do you think of Open Source Social Network ?

Wyvh

opensource-socialnetwork.org
This offers a way to set up your own Social Network without having to pay the templates, the CMS or anything. There's also a premium version for
What do you think about it ? Is it worth a shot ?

Rob Whisonant

Starting a forum, social network etc is extremely hard. You have to reach a saturation level at a very rapid rate for it to succeed. Less than 1% that try actually survive.

You have to have a large community of users that all have a need for a narrow focused social network. Think hobbies, lifestyle etc...

If you have a blog with a huge following or a very large targeted email list that you are already communicating with, you could have a chance at creating a social network. Otherwise you would just be wasting your time.

Look at how big a flop Google+ was. :) They spent millions of dollars and failed miserably.

Now if you want to just have one for the fun of running a ghost town.... Now that's a different story. :)

But, the software seems nice.

Wyvh

Hey there Rob,
Thanks for the reply ! This a friend of mine's project, I do completely agree with you and even though I did tell him something similar, he's still pretty much into it.. well, let's not upset him.

Didn't know that Google+ actually spent that much money on their project, but it sure was a good fail.

Older threads
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.