Most useful CSS trick you know?

PenguinManiac

HTML and CSS are the nuts and bolts of front-end development for both static and dynamic pages, and learning their ins and outs is fundamental to make the most of the resources you have.
Whenever I look online for solutions to problems I stumble upon, most times I'm greeted by JS scripts that obviously get the job done, but that make the code feel... dirtier. CSS tricks, on the other hand, are lighter on the page, often clever and (more often than not) won't be subject to compatibility or safety issues.

What are your favourite CSS tricks you use to solve common problems you face during development?

Mike001

My favorite CSS tricks, boy is that an open ended question. There are just so many of them.

Some of the new features of CSS3, with transitions, 3D modeling, shadowing, etc. are awesome. They save so much time from how things were done just a couple of years ago.

With the CSS specification constantly in a state of flux as more features are added it becomes very hard to keep up with some of the cool things that can now be done with CSS.

I have a really cool group of video tutorials I wrote about a year ago on the transforms and the transition properties of CSS that you can view on my website for free. They go into some really good detail as to how to use these new properties and how to implement them on your site.

Check them out, they get into 3D models, transforms and transitions with nothing but CSS and HTML.

I hope this helps.

PenguinManiac

PenguinManiac
Transform and transition properties are extremely versatile, I agree, and they do wonders to a website's feeling. I knew CSS3 could handle models, but I never bothered with it because I though it would have been too complicated for me. It could be a nice ace up my sleeve for my future projects. I'll give it a look, thanks!

Novakin

Well, believe it or not, my favorites are "before" and "after" pseudo elements. I achieved pretty good stuff with those two :D

Older threads
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies