Monetizing a blog?

HipAlbatross

This is one other idea that I've had to make extra money, I'd like to start a blog and work on monetizing it. There is so much information out there that I don't know where to start. Does anyone here have some personal advice and tips on the how to best get started? I know there is a whole area dedicated to monetizing adult tumblr pages, it seems that can be very profitable but I'm not sure if it's the way I want to go. I do have some other ideas though.

If you do have experience in this area, what were some unexpected issues you ran into?

How much did you make at first? And how much are you making now?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, I look forward to the guidance of all of you who are much more experienced than I :)

LinkHeros

I think the best way to get started is to write a blog about something you are passionate about. Sign up to Amazon Associates, and whenever you mention any product in your articles insert a link to Amazon. Once you start to get some traffic to your blog you should start to see some sales. Then you could look at other ways to monetize, such as display ads and your own products.

Rob Whisonant

Actually there has been several good threads about this here on WMS recently. Do a little searching here, they are worth hunting out and a good place to start.

HipAlbatross

I think the best way to get started is to write a blog about something you are passionate about. Sign up to Amazon Associates, and whenever you mention any product in your articles insert a link to Amazon. Once you start to get some traffic to your blog you should start to see some sales. Then you could look at other ways to monetize, such as display ads and your own products.
I didn't even think about Amazon Associates, that is a great idea! Definitely something I can utilize with some of the ideas I have. I'm going to check out their program.

Actually there has been several good threads about this here on WMS recently. Do a little searching here, they are worth hunting out and a good place to start.
I should have utilized the search and gone back a little farther, I was mostly looking through the posts on the first page. I'm new to the site and I'm still finding my way around. Thanks for the tip :)

Rob Whisonant

Rob Whisonant
Before you join the Amazon Associates program make sure you have a content rich blog. They will ask to see your site and if it is not up to their liking they will deny your account.

HipAlbatross

That's a good point as well, I didn't even think about that. So it's probably best to not apply until the blog is well established. That should probably be my first step, getting it up and running and a fair amount of posts beforehand.

JonathanS

Well, I've begun my journey as of recent to monetize my own personal blog. But if you ask me, monetizing the blog itself is the easy part. Building a loyal audience and mailing list of subscribers who trust and read your content, that's a whole other story. My first tip would be to focus on creating a quality blog. In fact, don't even think about earning an income from it. Just focus on writing quality content that genuinely helps readers, while simultaneously is SEO friendly. My second tip would be get into it for the right reasons. If you're solely interested in earning a profit from your blog. Most likely you're not as focused to produce quality content. Because of that, the quality of your blog will most likely decline. So focus on the quality of your blog, monetizing it will come later on. I hope that helps!

Soulwatcher

I agree with JonathanS, if your making a blog with the soul purpose of making money, then your blog has already failed. What the people in this thread are not telling you is you have better odds of going outside and getting struck by lighting on a sunny day than making a living off the internet. And I am not trying to scare you away it's just the facts.

So if you're going to make a blog, make a blog on a subject that you're passionate about. And be in it for the long haul, most of the established blogs that are around have been blogging for years. The didn't just throw a blog up over night and way a magic wand and start making money off their blog. When I started my new blog/forum I did so with a 3 year plan and I am 2 months into that 3 year plan. And at the end of 3 years I am going to reevaluate the situation and see if its worth going on.

Newer threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.