.COM or .NET? Is there any difference?

timothykiko

I'm starting a new web project, for the domain name I'm thinking about the .com domain but it is not available because its taken by someone, the .net domain is available for $12
Should I go for the .net domain or come up with another .com domain name for $12?
I hope to get your advice and according to you, Is there any difference between .com and .net domain extension?

LinkHeros

There is no difference between the two with regards to SEO. However if you are building a brand, most people will type 'your brand.com' into the address bar. If someone else has registered that, you will lose customers.

ulterios

If at all possible I would try to find a .com that is available so that you don't leak traffic to the .com version of your domain in another extension.

However, if you can't find anything that you like, will work or is available for your need in a .com then you can use a .net as a good alternative.

The search engines will treat both the same so there are no issues there.

I always prefer a .com but if all else fails then a .net is much better than many other available options out there.

Good luck. ;)

radwebhosting

I will have to agree with @Linkheros regarding there being no difference in SEO. The only advantage, in my opinion, for .com over .net is general perception of .com superiority.

.NET is a great way to get high-quality domain names at registration fees, however. So do give the .NET domain names a look.

Rob Whisonant

When a .com is taken be very careful of getting the same name with another extension. Make sure the name it's self is not trademarked. Also be careful if the name is being used as a brand. You don't want to build up this great site and have it taken down in a blink of an eye because of a legal situation.

hynds

I also think that there is no difference between .com and .net in SEO. However at end users point, people tend to search or to type .com much more than .net. So that in case the .com was taken then you should try to choose another names or names related to it.

Riviera

.Com and .net is the most popular extension. I think there's no much differrent between them. For SEO, it's ok for both. If you choose for your business, i recommend .com as beginning.
You should have read Rob's advice as above: check that domain before your registration. That's important.

Aree

That depends on how creative you are. Let me give you an example.

Let's say I want to register a domain name called aree dot com. Then I find that someone has already taken that name. So I put on my creativity cap and think up some other variations on the same theme. I start searching for, say, areee, or, arree, or, areex. Follow me? You might even end up with a better domain name than the first one you had thought of.

As for whether a dot com is any better than a dot net, it's really a moot point. Look at battle dot net. It's a very well-known site for those people who know the game, World of Warcraft. And it definitely sounds more natural than battle dot com.

CatherineEsco

.Com is more of the trend and convention. If you want your web project to be of convention then you should go with .com. It just a matter of domain suffix. If you can provide your website of the traffic it needs then no problem with either one. It will work fine, it is just .com is more popular and .net is not. Goodluck with the project you're doing. In the past, we created a website for an organization, we used .org as our domain suffix and godaddy as hosting provider. Hope this helps. :)

Ridew

Well, .com and .net domain extensions are well-know, but the difference between them would be next:

.com is for commercial purposes.
.net is for networking.

Both can be optimized very well in terms of SEO. Try to check domain name extension whether it goes with your primary objective of your website or not. Based on that, you should select .com or .net.

I personally prefer the .com over the .net.

Good luck!

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views