Webmaster Sun Login
Not a member yet? Sign up

Lightweight front-end framework?

  • HOME
  • FORUMS
  • BLOGS
  • MARKETPLACE
  • ADVERTISING
  • SPECIAL OFFERS
  • WEB HOSTING
  • QUICK MENU
  • REGISTER HERE - Join us for FREE
Results 1 to 8 of 8
    Stick this thread
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    200
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 20/0
    Given: 16/0
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Lightweight front-end framework?

    Front-end frameworks are a blessing to speed up development time of websites with lots of data to place organically. However, we never manage to use most of the features a framework offers, especially with massive ones like Bootstrap.
    So, are there any bare-bones frameworks that won't make me scrap half the code because of unused features?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    40
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Hmm, I don't know, I always use bootstrap and almost everyone asks if you know bootstrap for development. But, I am pretty sure there are some naked frameworks out there, don't know how reliable they are though. Anyway, why do you need that kind of framework ?

    I Am developing quite some time now with bootstrap, its pretty sharp and light. I usually add my custom CSS for some tweaks and its all good...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    200
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 20/0
    Given: 16/0
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakin View Post
    Hmm, I don't know, I always use bootstrap and almost everyone asks if you know bootstrap for development. But, I am pretty sure there are some naked frameworks out there, don't know how reliable they are though. Anyway, why do you need that kind of framework ?

    I Am developing quite some time now with bootstrap, its pretty sharp and light. I usually add my custom CSS for some tweaks and its all good...
    I like to test out different projects at times, and most times I try layouts that are somewhat similar but with some differences that take up a lot of time. If I used a framework I would definitely cut down those times, but I don't want to overload a supposedly simple page just to speed up the development process. A light framework would be the perfect compromise.
    I was thinking about writing my own as well. Time to get familiar with flexbox, it seems.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    439
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 302/0
    Given: 32/0
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 151 Times in 105 Posts
    There are some really good light weight frameworks out there that work quite well. The key is to find a framework that is structurally systematic correct. There are many out there that do not follow "Best Practices", have not kept up with the changes to the SEO search engines, etc.

    I have used many of the better light weight frameworks for customer sites and have been happy with quite a few of them. Just remember to go into the framework and check the code to get it as close to compliant with the standards as you can. Especially when it comes to SEO optimization. Many of the bigger ones, and the one that comes to mind most is WordPress violate way too many rules to use commercially.

    Here are some good light weight ones to consider.


    1. FICTOAN

    2. Beauter

    3. Vanilla Framework

    4. Milligram

    5. Furtive CSS - (mobile first framework)

    Just a few to consider, there are many more out there, but I have used these personally.

    I hope this helps.
    Mike
    Learn Web Development - OnLine Video Training OnTargetHTML5
    Have Questions On Training or Web Development: Contact Mike

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    200
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 20/0
    Given: 16/0
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike001 View Post
    There are some really good light weight frameworks out there that work quite well. The key is to find a framework that is structurally systematic correct. There are many out there that do not follow "Best Practices", have not kept up with the changes to the SEO search engines, etc.

    I have used many of the better light weight frameworks for customer sites and have been happy with quite a few of them. Just remember to go into the framework and check the code to get it as close to compliant with the standards as you can. Especially when it comes to SEO optimization. Many of the bigger ones, and the one that comes to mind most is WordPress violate way too many rules to use commercially.

    Here are some good light weight ones to consider.


    1. FICTOAN

    2. Beauter

    3. Vanilla Framework

    4. Milligram

    5. Furtive CSS - (mobile first framework)

    Just a few to consider, there are many more out there, but I have used these personally.

    I hope this helps.
    They sound like great suggestions, thank you! I've found mobile first frameworks to be particularly interesting, since you can save on quite a bit of code by avoiding defining too many rules that are just going to be scrapped anyway. Among the others, I've run into Skeleton as of lately. Do you know if it's any good, too? I'd like to make a broad list before actually choosing one.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    439
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 302/0
    Given: 32/0
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 151 Times in 105 Posts
    Thanks I appreciate the comments.

    Skeleton is a very good framework and has been around for quite some time. I have used it a few projects.

    The only reason I did not put that one on my list is that it really needs to be updated to stay within the new specifications. It is very light weight, probably lighter than most of the ones that I have already mentioned but unless you are pretty good with HTML and CSS you would probably not want to make the changes needed in the framework to be more compliant with the spec.

    If your are comfortable using HTML and CSS then for light weight and portability it is a good choice. It is another one that was developed with a mobile first mindset. And with all the focus lately on mobile responsiveness for SEO, that is always a good choice.
    Mike
    Learn Web Development - OnLine Video Training OnTargetHTML5
    Have Questions On Training or Web Development: Contact Mike

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    200
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 20/0
    Given: 16/0
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike001 View Post
    Thanks I appreciate the comments.

    Skeleton is a very good framework and has been around for quite some time. I have used it a few projects.

    The only reason I did not put that one on my list is that it really needs to be updated to stay within the new specifications. It is very light weight, probably lighter than most of the ones that I have already mentioned but unless you are pretty good with HTML and CSS you would probably not want to make the changes needed in the framework to be more compliant with the spec.

    If your are comfortable using HTML and CSS then for light weight and portability it is a good choice. It is another one that was developed with a mobile first mindset. And with all the focus lately on mobile responsiveness for SEO, that is always a good choice.
    Yeah, that's what drew my attention to it in the first place. I'm ashamed to admit that I've always dismissed the mobile first approach until now, but it can save so many lines of code and so much time wasted on optimizing little details that it could be worth a shot.
    Still, given how lightweight it is, wouldn't it be even better to create a custom framework with flexbox and stuff like that? You'd get more familiar with the code and you'd be able to navigate through it even faster. I'm afraid of making rookie mistakes that could take away time and might prove to be hard to fix, though.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    439
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 302/0
    Given: 32/0
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 151 Times in 105 Posts
    You are right on target, and what most of the professional developers do.

    We make our own frameworks, or take an existing framework, I like to use BootStrap and make the changes needed to make our version compliant with the specifications.

    Now I must say that I choose BootStrap because I do so many commercial sites and many of them require a lot of features. BootStrap has most of those features already in the framework. But it took me months to put together a BootStrap framework that was compliant, and I am still tweaking it usually month to month.

    As far as making mistakes, we all do, the technology on the web changes so fast that it is hard to keep up. Making mistakes is part of the fun, by those mistakes we learn new things. Anyone that tells you that they have created a perfect site has never taken that site online. With all the different hardware platforms, video devices, display adapters, RAM configurations, computer configurations, browsers, and I could go on and on. Perfection is next to impossible to achieve. But we keep trying, again part of the fun.

    We learn new stuff everyday, that is one of the many reasons I enjoy doing this.....
    Mike
    Learn Web Development - OnLine Video Training OnTargetHTML5
    Have Questions On Training or Web Development: Contact Mike

Newer Threads

  1. Ryan_132
    Rob Whisonant
    Replies: 7 | Views: 189
    Last post by Rob Whisonant, 08-06-2017, 09:18 PM
  2. PenguinManiac
    smsmbooster
    Replies: 8 | Views: 235
    Last post by smsmbooster, 08-16-2017, 11:00 AM
  3. joed77
    joed77
    Replies: 4 | Views: 71
    Last post by joed77, 08-07-2017, 03:18 AM
  4. joed77
    Mike001
    Replies: 1 | Views: 37
    Last post by Mike001, 08-13-2017, 07:21 PM
  5. HMBanna
    bijutoha
    Replies: 1 | Views: 111
    Last post by bijutoha, 08-07-2017, 05:43 AM

Older Threads

  1. cmarkcsco
    cmarkcsco
    Replies: 0 | Views: 33
    Last post by cmarkcsco, 08-06-2017, 11:43 AM
  2. cmarkcsco
    Are facebook ads worth it?
    By cmarkcsco in forum Facebook
    manmad
    Replies: 9 | Views: 237
    Last post by manmad, 08-14-2017, 07:32 PM
  3. PenguinManiac
    PenguinManiac
    Replies: 0 | Views: 30
    Last post by PenguinManiac, 08-06-2017, 11:23 AM
  4. royCloud4U
    royCloud4U
    Replies: 0 | Views: 56
    Last post by royCloud4U, 08-06-2017, 09:45 AM
  5. timothykiko
    ulterios
    Replies: 2 | Views: 128
    Last post by ulterios, 08-07-2017, 01:14 AM

Latest Threads

  1. pizzalover
    Rob Whisonant
    Replies: 1 | Views: 19
    Last post by Rob Whisonant, Today, 03:09 AM
  2. pizzalover
    JoeMilford
    Replies: 1 | Views: 20
    Last post by JoeMilford, Today, 12:03 AM
  3. pizzalover
    Rob Whisonant
    Replies: 1 | Views: 20
    Last post by Rob Whisonant, Today, 03:12 AM
  4. pizzalover
    pizzalover
    Replies: 0 | Views: 26
    Last post by pizzalover, Yesterday, 11:49 PM
  5. jackprince
    jackprince
    Replies: 0 | Views: 27
    Last post by jackprince, Yesterday, 04:50 PM

Similar Threads

  1. DavidLux
    jitendrasurve
    Replies: 1 | Views: 1433
    Last post by jitendrasurve, 10-21-2014, 07:12 AM
  2. violahearz
    Adriana14
    Replies: 4 | Views: 1462
    Last post by Adriana14, 04-21-2014, 05:19 PM
  3. soThink
    Bulan
    Replies: 2 | Views: 1348
    Last post by Bulan, 09-13-2013, 07:46 AM
  4. Harris
    Harris
    Replies: 0 | Views: 1207
    Last post by Harris, 05-11-2013, 06:00 AM
  5. Stephan
    rainbow
    Replies: 1 | Views: 1345
    Last post by rainbow, 12-14-2012, 04:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Internet Marketing Forum

Webmaster Sun is a forum where you’ll find in-depth discussions and resources to help you succeed on the web whether you are new or experienced. You’ll find it all here. With topics ranging from internet marketing, search engine optimization, social networking, make money online, web hosting, affiliate marketing as well as hands-on technical support for web design, programming and more. We are a growing community of like-minded people that is keen to help and support each other with ambitions and online endeavors. Learn and grow, make friends and contacts for life.

Come Hang Out With Us

    Facebook Twitter Webmaster Forum Google+

    Webmaster Sun Logo
Copyright ©2012 - 2017, WebmasterSun.com. All rights reserved. Internet marketing forum for internet marketers, webmasters, web hosting providers, designers and affiliate marketers.

Welcome to Webmaster Sun

The World's Number 1 Webmaster Community, SEO and Marketplace

Log in!

Continue with Facebook
Continue With Email. By signing up you indicate that you have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Sign in Manually

Need an account? Sign up now!