Can .com domain contribute to SEO?

stoneman

So many users online especially domianers thinks that a domain extension matters, while webmaster believes that what matters is the content on the site not minding the extension, whether its is .com, .org, .io etc..

And after I reviewed this and thought about it I found out that some .org sites rank above some .com site, with this i started believing with the webmasters ideas..

But I don't know for you if you also believe such things, what do you think about it is it really true that extensions matters when creating a site or a blog...

Share with me please, let me know what you have about this

Thanks

alexanderzx360

Having a bit of personal experience on websites, I can assure you costumers and viewers care a lot about the .com domain and it definitely contributes to the SEO. Now you're asking for a specific comparison, the .org and the .com and here's where things can change a bit, since for a company a .org can work just as well (and even a bit cheaper) than a .com domain.

If it's just a regular company site, a .org will do fine, but in any other way, .com is your choice to go. Don't think about getting some free .tk domains since your potential audience could be distracted by it and won't go to your website.

Cheers!

jyy

I don't think it really matters. For instance, a companion website to this one, ForumWeb.Hosting gets all sorts of search engine traffic - despite the newer extension. In fact, that extension isn't even a .net, org or even a .info. So basically, to sum it up, I think the obsession with .com is mostly a myth, but there might be some level of truth to it and that truth would apply sometimes. But as we see with ForumWeb.Hosting, there are ways around the problem.

stoneman

Yah @jyy what you said is true, what matters is the content and back links that are involved in the site, .com can only be of help in the sense that most people now have it in their tip that everything is .com maybe when searching for your site most users will always end your URL with .com not even minding which extension you make use of...

But in terms of search engines optimization I don't think those things matters

ulterios

As long as you are using a TLD then there is no SEO value in one over another. Using a .com will not give any direct SEO benefits itself but using one can help your site out in other ways.

Most people will type ".com" by default for any website address that they are typing in of they do not know or remember the exact extensions. So, if you use a domain other than a .com then you will be leaking some kind of traffic to the .com version of your domain.

If you want any kind of SEO boost from a certain domain extension usage then a country code (cc) domain can sometimes give a slight SEO boost in the country the extension is for. If you are targeting a specific country for getting traffic from then that can help although I would still always prefer a .com myself.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies