Do you need to be an expert to write about something?

PenguinManiac

One of the most common tips for getting started with blogging is picking a niche you like, since you're (supposedly) going to keep at it for quite some time. However, it's also recommended to pick a niche you're knowledgeable about, or else you'll hardly find anything to write about as time goes.
The two things don't always go hand in hand, though. Being a casual fan of something doesn't mean you have the right expertise people would expect for you to write articles about it. Yet, I'm willing to bet most blogs didn't know much of what they were going to write before starting to type.

So... do you really need to be an expert about a niche if you want to write about it?

spartan14

Well you dont need to be an expert but you must like the topic otherwise you will lose interst in writing .In my case i also inspire from other articles but i dont copy an entire articles ,i take an idea from one an idea from other etc

Rob Whisonant

No you don't need to be an expert. You just need to have an opinion about something. Just express things with your writing as your opinion on something.

PenguinManiac

Well you dont need to be an expert but you must like the topic otherwise you will lose interst in writing .In my case i also inspire from other articles but i dont copy an entire articles ,i take an idea from one an idea from other etc
Yeah, that's what I believe as well. What do you usually look for when reading other articles as inspiration? General ideas, opinions or facts you can quote to back up your claims? Does this mix-and-match approach work well for you? It certainly sounds effective.

No you don't need to be an expert. You just need to have an opinion about something. Just express things with your writing as your opinion on something.
Good point. Plus, your writing style can really do wonders if it's well-developed and interesting. Then again, I'd have a hard time believing everyone on the web masters the subject they're talking about.

JonathanS

In my opinion, you don't need to be an expert on the topic you're writing about. However, I do feel readers can analyze the level of in-depth knowledge the writer has on the subject he/she is elaborating on. What I've come to notice is that when you're writing about something you're not really into, it shows in your work overall. I think that's why people usually suggest writing on a niche you're familiar with. If you're not familiar with that niche, I suggest doing some serious research on it to stand out from the crowd before publishing any articles.

Rob Whisonant

I want to add a few points to this. I still believe you don't have to be an expert in the subject you are writing about... But you do need to be an expert at the following...

1. Know how to research a subject.
2. Know how to track information to it's original source.
3. Know who to listen to... <--- The most important area you MUST be an expert at.

The reason number 3 is the most important is because the net is full of bad information. You need to make sure the source of the information is in fact someone that knows what they are talking about and that you are just not repeating bad information.

Unknown

Yep, I agree with you, Rob. You definitely don't need to be an expert BUT you have to be good at doing your research and using the information gathered. I have written about subjects that I had no clue about many times but what I did was, I did extensive research by Googling and reading different articles, discussions, ...

It helped me understand and shape some sort of opinion which I could express through the writing. But I was never an expert.

aemathenge

Expertise is essential in some form.

One is the subject of the blog you are putting up.

Second, if you are weak in "one" above, then you need expertise in finding someone who is going to give you posts that express expertise in the subject.

Third, if "one and two" above are your weak points, then you need to be an "expert" in something else. That expertise will give you money, which you will, in turn, use to buy (hire) an expert to create posts on your blog.

Four, as pointed out by other contributors in this thread, you will require some expertise in finding appropriate information online. Only then will you acquire the requisite information for your posts. These will, in turn, give you authority in the subject matter for your blog.

Yes, you need to be an expert.

Jeff

Blogging is more flexible. It's not like writing in newspapers that you need to fill in every section accordingly. You just have to do your research. Every information you share should have its sources to make it interesting and reliable, every opinion YOU make must be recognized as yours. Basically, you need to have references on what you write... or show them you're just another human being and ask them for suggestions or feedback once in while (now you have engagement with your readers).

Observe beauty bloggers, sometimes when they do "first impressions" of a product, they just read the description out of the box (some search about the ingredients and adds that in), tell what they observe, compare it to a similar product they have and at the end, pick which one they like based on their personal preference. Some of them are only 16 years old and haven't even finished high school. Think about it.

aemathenge

So... do you really need to be an expert about a niche if you want to write about it?
It boils down to what form of expertise you are alluding to.

Forgive my impertinence, if you may, when I use a personal example as an article writer for hire.

My client owns a product review website but has no expertise in the niche she has chosen. Her form of expertise is, however, in finding writers who produce articles that profess expertise in two areas.

These are writing in excellent English and writing articles that express expertise in the subject matter.

In a nutshell, what I am trying to say is that you perhaps need to define the parameters of “expertise” you are alluding to.

Last edited:

JoeMilford

Being an expert in your topic of choice is always an advantage, of course. However, I think that with the proper research, anyone could add to a discussion with interesting facts and perspectives. Sometimes a mind that is fresh can look at old information in a new way, and in that way, the novice can inform the expert and continue a conversation where both have the potential to learn from each other. Isaac Newton once said that he could not have seen so far had he not stood on the shoulders of giants. In other words, good research and good sources provides all of us, beginners and experts alike, with what we need to produce good content.

manmad

No, and most people that have blogs are not really experts at it, it's not really hard to google some information about a subject or at least read reviews from other people and then write your own opinion based on the information you've read. The best way to gain a following is having your own style.

Tania997

Unless you're writing tutorials you don't need to be an expert. You simply need to express yourself in a convincing way that won't bore people. If you write your thoughts in the best way you can, people will listen to you even if you have an unpopular opinion.

I see a lot of website where people who are not experts start writing about something. They will usually search something on google, gather info and write their thoughts.

saygorem

You don't have to be an expert to write about something. That is the idea of the blog. You have the freedom to express yourself and voice out what you think about a niche. An expert of some sort was just like any other people. Expert started as newbie and they only gained experience through time. Just like us, we need to practice our craft in writing so that we can be an expert in the near future.

anor0428

No, you don't need to be expert, you just need a little knowledge to share. Reading is important to if you want to learn a lot more. Blog is more about expressing your self, your thought and ideas. Those factors are enough for you to write. :)

karlaaaaaa

It doesn't require you to be an expert to write, simply study basic and do not forget to follow them, maybe you just need to master writing skills and everything will follow. I myself is not an expert, however I always involve myself into writing stuff to enhance my skills and to expand my vocabularies too. It would be hard especially if you are not open for improvement, your proof reader will look for lapses that might be tricky and sometimes unacceptable. Always learn to adjust, and change for the better.

Heatman

I don't think you need to be an expert in something before you can write about it. Personally, I believe just a simple understanding of the subject matter is enough to get you to write about it so long as you think logically well.

If one is waiting to become an expert on something before he or she could write anything about it, belive me definitely that person would have a very small scope to live and events that are going on it.

naoki1515

One need not to be an expert in order to write about something. If you simply love writing, it will surely show in your content. You just got to have passion and an inspiration. There are many kinds of writing. There are also some rules in writing especially if it is an article. However, if you are just writing to express your feelings or emotions then its up to you how it would turn. Just be yourself and be confident. Goodluck!

khayie

Experts were once beginners.
You don't need to be an expert but you must be really passionate or interested about something in order to write about it.

Consistent practice leads to expertise. Write because you enjoy it and there's something you want people to know. You just need to be you and target readers would be attracted.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.