What would you do if someone stole your idea?

angie828

I have a person who I am in contact with on a somewhat regular basis. We exchange ideas from time to time. I have always trusted him when it comes to this. However, last week, I told him this epic idea of an article that I was going to write. We both share a client from time to time. Anyways, he went behind my back and told our client this idea, and then the client hired him for this project.

I am very upset that he did this. The project is pretty big. Do I tell the client that the idea was mine? Do I confront the so called friend asking why he did this? What would you do in this situation?

Rob Whisonant

Do neither. Chalk it up as a learning experience and move on. Then don't share ideas with other people unless you are in business together and have a confidentiality agreement signed by both of you.

One thing to keep in mind though, the confidentiality agreement is only worth the amount of money you have to sue the other partner and enforce it. In other words, if you can't afford to take someone to court, it's not worth 2 cents.

khayie

That's true, MOVE ON. Doing either one of the two choices could worsen the situation and leave you in the bad side.

The world go round. There's a divine force that keeps things in their places and everything happens for a reason. That incident gave you a big lesson on trust. You didn't got the project this time and then you have another idea. You are now cautious enough not to share the idea so you only tell that idea to a client who's got a more bigger project and it's you whom he hired. Who knows?

Mike001

I have to agree with Rob. There is nothing gained by pointing it out to the client, but I am certain that I would not label this person a friend is he did something like that to me.

If you pursue the issue it will make you look petty in the eyes of the client.

This is a good learning experience for you. Move on and keep your good ideas to yourself, unless of course you want to share them with me....LOL..... just kidding ... I can use all the help I can get.

He is not much of a friend for doing that.

xiana

Actually, i have food business "customized milk candy" I have a store and I do style candy buffets for all occasion. One day my friend brought candy at my store she was amazed in my roses and pops milk candy and I'm so glad that day. But one day one of my best friend told me that our friend Des starting her business same like my business she stole my ideas and im so disappointed she was my best friend too and she was unfriended me on facebook... But life must go on... Move on and search for new creation...:ertery:

Nejii

Tell him in a nice way and maybe he has a good reason for doing that. Anyway, I am not in writing right now but in my job we have to always write a remarks for our students and these remarks are open to be viewed in public. Therefore, other teachers also get ideas from the remarks that you make. Some just copy-paste it and even include my name which really annoyed me for he didn't even take time to proofread what he just copied.

Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.