To Join or Not to Join.... that is the question...

aestone504

When looking at new sites for making money online, what are some red flags that should steer you away from joining? I've learned from reading threads and taking with friends that it is only after joining do they realize that the site is not worth it. It is so frustrating to spend all this time researching a site and reading reviews (that are obviously false) only to go through the process of joining or subscribing for, well, nothing. I know in order to find a good online money making site does take some leg work but what can be something to look for when first starting to look into a website?

I know a red flag for me is when money is asked for upfront or too much personal info is requested.

How do you know if a site is legit or even worth joining?

So I ask you... To Join or Not to Join????

pjprins

What types of websites are you referring to?

PTC, MLM, survey sites?

"Make money online" can take many shapes - and most of them aren't pretty.

Whether or not they ask for money depends on the offer - but even free sites have been known not to pay their members when they want to cash out.

Last edited:

aestone504

I guess I'm referring to any and all of them. Im just trying to make a little side money to take some financial stress off of my mind. (single mom) I'm not looking to make thousands but a few hundred a month would definitely take a lot off my plate!

Thank you for your response!

pjprins

ok...

PTC or paid to click - you need loads of referrals to make it work (you can often "rent" them, though). But it is also an industry where people often don't get paid.

Surveys - not worth it (for most people). You need to join a boatload of different sites to get enough surveys to live off - and then you have to hope you "qualify" for enough of them (surveys are often targeted to a specific target customer/prospect. If you don't fit the profile, you cannot complete it)

MLM or network marketing - can be lucrative, but it takes a lot of work. Many of them are simply pyramid schemes.

Rule number one: If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

If you need to make money quickly...

Have a look at your personal skill set/abilities - and see how you can sell any of those as a service. I started out writing articles for someone else's sideline project.

Have a look at the services section under the marketplace directory of the forum - and see what people are selling and buying.

And see if there is anything that can work for you.

Other than that...

Go and look at what people are offering on classified sites (that you can do from home), and you can even go look at Fiverr.com for ideas.

Beyond that - start your own blog, about what you want, selling what you want. It's more of a medium term thing (before it starts showing money) - so that may not be the immediate solution you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

aestone504

You have been incredibly helpful! I will definitely check out all the info you provided. I've tried the survey deal and you are right, it is a waste of time! My personal skill set/abilities is data entry, I type over 100 wpm with perfect accuracy. I am having issues finding online data entry jobs however because I am scared of wasting the little extra time I do have and not getting any payouts. I am definitely NOT a good sales person unless a person already knows what they want when they come to me. Thanks again for all your advice!

pjprins

Glad I could be of help.

Just one thing...

Many "data entry" jobs online are actually not data entry at all.

They are from people who pay you to enter your details (including credit card details) into offer for which they then get a commission (and then they pay you out of that).

There is just so much junk and scams out there that it becomes harder and harder for people to sift through all of it.

All the best.

aestone504

Yes sir, that is what most of my searches have come up. I'll keep hunting because this Mommy needs some extra cash!

pjprins

Just thinking...

100 words per minute...

Have you thought about things like transcription jobs?

And you can even think about going offline - and help people with stuff that needs to be typed - like CV's.

And as you go along, collect references along the way. Eventually you can (if you want to) create a website or blog to offer your services - and those references/testimonials will go a long way to assuring potential clients.

That is, of course, if you want to keep doing it. If not, keep offering it for as long as you need it, and grow your blog on the side.

Just remember one thing...

If you can market your own services online, you can pretty much market anything online. The principles are the same.

Happy hunting!

aestone504

I have! Again, so many sites come up, I want to make sure I pick the right one. After a little more leg work I'm hoping to find a good fit for what I need. :)

Keibah

Just like you said, most of these sites aren't worth it and are just a waste of your precious time. Pjprins has said it all. I know only a few that are handy like postloop and fiverr. Try them and thank me later.

BelindaMT

Well said. As a newbie in freelancing I tried PTC and it is a waste of time you only earn $2 to $3 dollar in three hours. I also tried surveys and it was terrible. I already spent 15 minute in a survey and then it will stop and the massage will pop up saying sorry you do not qualify in this survey. Other surveys pays you very low. Today I decided to apply in Upwork and starting to make a research about blogging.

Rebara19

When I am looking for a way to earn money online I pay attention to the referer as well as to the difficulty it takes to get paid. If the person seems trustworthy and can demostrate that the company or activity is legit then I consider trying it out. However, when they offer a large amount of money for almost nothing I become conspicious and keep searching. I agree with the conditions you mentioned in the first post. I personally don´t trust writen reviews and prefer to watch review-videos instead. I can see the emotions and the behaviour of a user. But, of course, today even such videos can be pre-paid and full of lies.

tenthztar

You should try registering on Upwork or Fiverr and market your skills there. Those are the legit sites that really pays well.

Nancy G

When looking at new sites for making money online, what are some red flags that should steer you away from joining? I've learned from reading threads and taking with friends that it is only after joining do they realize that the site is not worth it. It is so frustrating to spend all this time researching a site and reading reviews (that are obviously false) only to go through the process of joining or subscribing for, well, nothing. I know in order to find a good online money making site does take some leg work but what can be something to look for when first starting to look into a website?

I know a red flag for me is when money is asked for upfront or too much personal info is requested.

How do you know if a site is legit or even worth joining?

So I ask you... To Join or Not to Join????

Since you are a mom and in need of extra income, you may consider tutoring English to Chinese kids via VIPKID or 51Talk. I have heard of good reviews and good pay as well. You can choose your work schedules. They just need good English communication skills and high speed internet service and high memory computer. You may check YouTube to get an idea.

Also, there is Cambly which also offers making money online thru chatting English with foreign students (young and old). Pay is around USD10+/hr.

You are correct in making a research or checking reviews of potential companies you will like to work with. You may also inquire via website SCAMADVISER to check its legitimacy. Hope these tips help.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads