.Info vs .Com?

harrygreen90

.info is good? but people tend to go with website .com not .info so .com is always better than .info? if .com is taken, I should go with .info instead or other domain extensions? any thoughts?

Rob Whisonant

I would still stick with .com. Just try variations of the domain name you are looking for.

ulterios

Using a .com should always be your first choice if at all possible. You can try variations as Rob mentioned above to see if you can find something good that is available to register.

If you can't find anything available for the registration fee then maybe checking out some of the domain selling marketplaces or even posting a "Seeking" thread in the marketplace here might find you something that will fit your needs.

You can use a .info if there are no other good options available that fit your needs but you have to be willing to leak some traffic to the .com version of your .info domain since that is what most people type by default and are most familiar with.

There are some other domain extensions out there that you could use also but again I would only use them if there is not a .com available to fit your needs.

Judas2018

.com is the king of web domains. Everyone who buys a domain wants a .com. Unless your cause or topic is charity and charity related items or benefits. Then you would want a .org. .net works but it's mostly for things targeted at the younger demo. I have a .net and a .com domain. My .com is for our official site. My .net is for a future venture that will be heavily targeted at a specific niche. But your serious business site should always be a .com. Anything after that should be a spin-off or companion site.

Aree

Once upon a time, a dot info was considered to be a cheapskate extension. That's basically because the dot info extension was new and domain registrars offered it at a ridiculously low price.

Now, the situation has changed. Dot info is a legitimate extension, just like dot com. In certain situations, a dot info would make more sense. For example, if the site is purely a knowledge database, then a dot info fits right into the theme. Like, say, cats dot info would be perfect for a site which simply contains information about cats.

CatherineEsco

.Com should be your priority. It is already the convention and choosing other domain suffix may or may not affect our website's traffic. Go with the usual because people tend to follow what they use to familiarize with.

If you really do not have any choice then maybe go with .org if you represent an organization or .net if you represent a network. If you are an online store then you can try shopify to host your e-commerce store.

Ridew

Depends on what niche you are targeting, .info domains seems to be OK for me, but these are generally pretty low competition niche's. I'd prefer the .com, but I don't mind grabbing a .info if needed. however, .com is definitely better, in terms of consumer trust. You can rank .info's but it's not as easy as a .com. Personally, I would pick .com, .net over .info

ecole11j

I would go with .com if you can. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if you have to use .info, but a .com domain will always be more memorable. As some others have already say, you can try variations until you get a suitable .com domain and can even have .info as a secondary domain, but .com should definitely be the goal.

DanielN

.info doesn't really achieve much. People tend to assume it's just an information site. But even then .com is better due to brandability. The only use I found for .info is biographical websites or CV websites. Personal projects maybe for showcasing.
If possible go with .com.

expertintegrations

This would all depend if there me. If I was running an information website w/ a lot of knowledge, How-tos etc. I would go w/ .info as it would be geared more for it. But i was running a website for other purposes I would use .com.

CanSpace

In order to properly answer your question, could you please clarify: why are you choosing between .com and .info in particular? As mentioned, their use is different. Whether one option is better than the other depends on various factors.
So with dozens of extensions available, you're thinking about .info because your site focused on information? Or are you actually asking: should I pick .com or a non-.com domain?

True, .com used to be the best option, but today, there are no guarantees that such a domain would rank better etc. An emoji domain could perform better in some cases! Things have changed. :)

As a couple of members already pointed out, your domain should be a perfect reflection of your website/its function. Hope this helps.

onliveserver

Hiii,

the .com refer to commercial perpose, but today all the organisation refer to .com TLD.
and .info refer to information sharing, and in other way that;s use for social network.

sree31

.com is preferable because when you tell someone about your business in offline events (e.g hi i run company xyz) they're most likely to look for xyz.com instead of xyz.info. Also, even when your business is mentioned online (e.g in online magazines, forums, social networks, blogs), unless it actually links to your website, ppl will instinctively look for xyz.com. I've experienced this problem many times.

hynds

I also always stick with .com first. In the end users behaviour, they prefer to enter .com in the browser URL bar when typing the domain. If you have .info, I think you may sometimes lose a traffic for this reason. IMO

Salmaan

.Com extension is SEO friendly.. so ur first priority should be .com domain and further i agree with Aree

Salmaan

ok but organization stands for non profit organization :-? tht doesnt effect SEO ranking of the website?

Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.