Who are you using for SSL Certificates?

Rob Whisonant

Curious about what SSL certificate providers everyone is using. Do you have a favorite?

Marc van Leeuwen

Premium Member
I am using SSL from Cloudflare for my websites. I used Letsencrypt SSL and cPanel supported as well this certificate provider but because my sites used Cloudflare CDN hence it has a bit more complicated and issues when renewing Letsencrypt SSL.

vishwa

I am currently using Letsencrypt SSL for my blog and it works great for me. Since I am managing a blog so, letsencrypt is a good option to go. Its provide you 256bits security and widely used by webmasters. Today majority of web hosting companies offer letsencrypt SSL with their hosting plans.

Ridew

Let's Encrypt is pretty good, but we are currently using SSL Certificate from Comodo.

Mike001

Rob,

I have been using Comodo for years. There are a very trusted company and highly respected in the web development community. They use 2048 Bit Industry encryption one of the highest available, and are highly rated by Google.

Let's face it if you are going to use a certificate use one endorsed by the most popular search engine since that is what we are shooting for by going SSL.

They cost a little more than many of them but they will be and have been around for awhile. I normally renew 3 years at a time so that I do not need to worry about it every year. They even remind me 60 days out so I have no lapse.

Hope this helps.

DanielBlue

I am using the free certificate offered by the web hosting provider. Payments are processed by paypal so no need to go for a paid solution.

Last edited:

virtubox

Rob,

I have been using Comodo for years. There are a very trusted company and highly respected in the web development community. They use 2048 Bit Industry encryption one of the highest available, and are highly rated by Google.

Let's face it if you are going to use a certificate use one endorsed by the most popular search engine since that is what we are shooting for by going SSL.

They cost a little more than many of them but they will be and have been around for awhile. I normally renew 3 years at a time so that I do not need to worry about it every year. They even remind me 60 days out so I have no lapse.

Hope this helps.
2048 bits encryption is currently the minimum size for rsa keys. And at the moment, Google doesn't care about the SSL provider used or the encryption level used.

I am using the free certificate offered by the web hosting provider. Payments are processed by paypal so no need to go for a paid solution.
Paid certificates are not needed, even to process payment on your website.

Mike001

Virtubox,

Not to begin a long discussion on this, as I have no intention of arguing with you, but their are many different types of encryption keys that are currently in use for SSL, if you would look through the White Papers at the IETF (Internet Engineering Task Force), (you would see that), they discuss numerous different standards that are being investigated as to the best way to approach a set standard for HTTPS encryption. You are welcome to join the IETF and voice your opinions if you so desire. There are 1000's of us that are members.

Currently 2048 is the highest, and is no way the only type of encryption used. To the best of my knowledge, and I stay pretty up to date on this, there are currently three different algorithm modulus that are in use, they are: 768-bit RSA, 1024-bit RSA, and the 2048-bit RSA.

There are higher encryption algorithms being researched. I actually read an article recently that a lab in Switzerland was experimenting with a 64K encryption algorithm. That is just unimaginable, in my mind. the time required to encode and decode the strings would seem to me to be prohibitive, but technology changes all the time, so I am sure by the time I finish typing this there will already be updates to what I have read recently.

There are quite a few articles on all three if you care to research, it is pretty dry reading. But it is interesting as to how long it would take to break the different encryption methodologies but just adding a few more bits to the string.

Using the same equipment, across all three models, the hardware they used for the testing was a 2GHz, AMD Processor, with 2GB of RAM, a standard desktop at the time, the algorithms took 786-bit - 12 years, 1024-bit 1.5 million years, and 2048-bit 6.4 quidrillion years, to break, yes that last one was with a Q. Now I am no math wiz, by any stretch of the imagination, but those are some pretty impressive numbers.

Obviously as processors improve and desktops become more powerful these numbers will decrease, but still pretty impressive numbers.

Oh and by the way, soon, and from what we hear very soon, Google will start penalizing sites, in SEO, that are not HTTPS. Whether they are eCommerce or not. Of course, I am not certain I believe that, we have been hearing that for years, SEOPUb would probably be a better source for that type information, but I know I have been reading about it again, and the topic came up again at the Las Vegas Web Developers convention last month.

Rob, sorry we got off topic. But I thought I should clear up the misconception.

Just food for thought.

virtubox

Your informations are just oudated.

For most web sites, security provided by 2,048-bit RSA keys is sufficient. The RSA public key algorithm is widely supported, which makes keys of this type a safe default choice. At 2,048 bits, such keys provide about 112 bits of security. If you want more security than this, note that RSA keys don't scale very well. To get 128 bits of security, you need 3,072-bit RSA keys, which are noticeably slower. ECDSA keys provide an alternative that offers better security and better performance
Source : https://github.com/ssllabs/research/wiki/SSL-and-TLS-Deployment-Best-Practices

MarcS

For free - Cloudflare
For single domain or multidomain - GeoTrust
WildCard SSL - Comodo

Talaa

Some control panels like cPanel and web hosting providers like Blue host will automaticallly install SSL certificate for your domain. Currently, I am using Lets encrypt on my blog, beacuse it is free and easy to deploy. But you have to renew it every 3 months.

wurk

Currently using the free one which is provided by my host. A LetsEncrypt SSL

JRyan

I installed a free Let's Encrypt on my blog site. I feel it is sufficient for a personal blog like mine, as now the google marks my site as a secure site.

Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.