Wordpress – Autoupdates Ruining my Websites – Is there still hope?

DanielBlue

Since ever I am running into the same issue.

If I do NOT TURN OFF WP autoupdates my pages are showing some kind of issue after an update. Normally related to some kind of plugin. Even turning off all plugins, or going back to the previous version, sometimes will not fix the issue. What I have to do then is looking into it and this takes way too much of my time.

Is there no way that wordpress updates on autopilot WITHOUT creating any problems? I really like to spend my time on other stuff than on fixing WP issues!

Knowing that disabling updates can create security problems I dont like to do so...

How do you guys handle this? Or did I miss something?

Last edited:

Ruesnam

What kind of update cause so major issues to your site? For me, the only updates which can change the appearance of site pages are theme updates, but it seems that you're complaining about plugins update. Are you using plugins designed to "show" something in your page such as maps,or charts, or anything like that?

DanielBlue

DanielBlue
I don't use plugins to "show" something. It mainly happens when wordpress is updating. E.g. from 4.8.1 to 4.8.2.
It goes like so: cPanel is notifying me about that the update was made. Then I go and check the updated side and something is wrong. Last time the images had a different size on the post pages.

Last edited:

Mike001

Welcome to the world of WordPress.

Although I must admit that this is an unusual complaint the normal complaints that I hear are more around the security issues involved with the site or the site being hacked or the lack of ability to customize certain layouts of the sites.

Who assembled your site? The reason that I ask is that WordPress inherently has a lot of problems but normally the updating of the framework is not one of them. They are pretty good at making certain that the updates do not destroy core aspects of the site.

If I had to guess, when the site was assembled, the proper procedures were not followed in the development of the pages. And in there lies the problem.

Are you using only approved plug-ins? There are a lot of plug-ins out there that do not follow "Best Practices" for Word Press implementation. Some of them are downright malicious. Go back and confirm all the plug-ins are approved, and then look at how the site was structured.

These are only high level ideas as without looking at the errors that are being generated by the updates it is really hard to say what is occurring. But this is a start.

DanielBlue

Who assembled your site? The reason that I ask is that WordPress inherently has a lot of problems but normally the updating of the framework is not one of them. They are pretty good at making certain that the updates do not destroy core aspects of the site.

If I had to guess, when the site was assembled, the proper procedures were not followed in the development of the pages. And in there lies the problem.
That’s maybe truth! Mostly I do all this. Only if there is some very difficult stuff I hire from upwork.

Are you using only approved plug-ins? There are a lot of plug-ins out there that do not follow "Best Practices" for Word Press implementation. Some of them are downright malicious. Go back and confirm all the plug-ins are approved, and then look at how the site was structured.
That’s interesting! Did not know that there are approved plugins… how can I check if they are? Are they approved if they get downloaded from wordpress.org?

These are only high level ideas as without looking at the errors that are being generated by the updates it is really hard to say what is occurring. But this is a start.
I really appreciate your answers! Thank you.

Last edited:

Mike001

No problem I hope it helps.

There are so many issues associated with WordPress, that is why professional developers and professors stay away from it. It is a good toolkit when used as intended, but so many people have really tried to stretch the bounds of the original intentions of the developers.

If you downloaded them from the actual WordPress.org site, you should be fine.

I am not aware of any malicious plug-ins that have come from that site.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.