Are Fake Testimonials Illegal?

elzorro

It comes from a making money site where you are offering products to visitors or potential customers. I was wondering if you use fake testimonials, is that illegal? I am just asking because I see them on almost every health websites or web hosting sites where feedback from customers are not verified with detailed information.

Rob Whisonant

If you live or market to the US they sure are illegal. The FTC has started cracking down on these. If you have a testimonial on your site, you better be able to prove who it was from at the least.

The FTC also has disclaimer guide lines you should follow when profiting off a testimonial.

ecole11j

I'm not a lawyer so I can't say for sure. I'm always a little hesitant to give anything that could be considered legal advice. Regardless of whether or not it's illegal, it's at least immoral.

HazelDJ

It comes from a making money site where you are offering products to visitors or potential customers. I was wondering if you use fake testimonials, is that illegal? I am just asking because I see them on almost every health websites or web hosting sites where feedback from customers are not verified with detailed information.
Yes, fake testimonials are rampant everywhere. This is a strategy of a company to increase their sales. In our country Philippines, I could see a statement in some heath products saying " No approved therapeutic claim. This is because the effect of a certain alternative medicine will vary depending upon the disposition of one's body. In relation to your query, if there is a law speculated for that matter, it will depend upon your country if there is a law for that.

Rogue

I'm not certain about its illegality but fake testimonials are fraudulent that are intended to deceive people. What are the reason why people engages in this fraud act? A factor could be they are paid to do so. Businesses surfacing in the internet had accumulate many suspicious testimonials on how effective a certain product or service is. Most statements are intended for their own benefit. They do this to obtain more customers and drive traffic in their websites. Mainly for profit purposes. Illegal or not, we must not make false testimonials especially that one simple statement could endanger those people that rely on that.

Karl Joshua

Indeed! Fake testimonials were a CRIME. Though it is a strategy, you must never ever make statements that are against the truth. There are government employees that can track you down. My father works at NBI (just search for it in the net). He told me that there are several ITs (information technologist) who are specialized in these job especially when the testimonials involve scam in either small scale or large scale.

AND who in the world this person that will scam people for extra money. DONT DO IT!!

Sadly, many people fall for it because they thought you can get rich in a blink of the eye.

Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.