Advertising and Publishing?

BillEssley

WMS Marketplace Seller
What is the difference between Advertising and Publishing? I have seen these terms on advertising platforms but I don't really understand what they are. Needing someone help me on this.

Thanks
Bill

Rob Whisonant

As far as advertising platforms go...

Advertising = buying ad space.
Publishing = selling ad space.

Ciprian Bitter

Ciprian Bitter
This is the easiest definition for you.
A longer one would be:
- Advertiser: the owner of the offer (or broker of the offer), who wants to sell something to a user.
- Publisher: the one posting the offer on behalf of the owner/broker to users (on blogs, websites, videos, etc).

If you want to sell a product and I have a website and advertising space (with formats such as banners or pop-ups/unders), you're the advertiser, I'm the publisher.
If you want to sell your product through an advertising network, you're still the advertiser, and they are the publisher. BUT because they become brokers of your offer towards direct publishers (such as media buyers or webmasters), then they become advertisers to their publishers. And so on.

This is another easy formula to help you remember:
- supply - advertiser
- demand - publisher

Sometimes they match perfectly and profits soar, sometimes they don't.

I hope this helps.

etdigital

The best example to tell you the difference between advertising and Publishing is Google Adwords and Adsense.
Google Adwords is an advertising platform and Adsense is a publisher where you get paid for running ads, who
signups the Adsense.The one who serves ads on their website or blog is termed as publisher. And Advertisers are
those who advertise their products/services on their advertising platforms.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.