JPEG or PNG?

trendjing

In posting pictures, there are sites which prefers JPEG and others wants PNG. I wonder what is the difference between them? When do you use JPEG and PNG?

napukun

jpeg images has a background for example is when you are going to send a logo to your client if you send the file/picture with jpeg format the picture has a white background but white background is not a part of your logo, but if you send it using png format the will remove the white background in your logo and commonly i use the png format in logo and making designs in magazine and it easy to copy and paste as a graphic designer we edit the picture first sometime to get the content and just the content and less work because we don't need to erase the background because it is already removed.

Mike001

Napukum,

is kind of correct, but missed the most important aspect of the differences between png and jpg files.

png files allow for a lossless compression of the image file to keep the quality of the image at a very high standard and still achieve a relatively good percentage value for compression. File sizes are good, but not as good a jpg and do allow for a transparent background where jpg files do not. Png files are a good choice for web graphics that consists of lines, small images, logos, etc.

jpg files on the other hand have lossy compression ratio. This means that as the compression values are increased, the quality of the image is decreased. There is a direct correlation between the two properties of quality and compression. Most good graphics programs will allow you to select the compression ratio as the jpg image is saved. JPG files are normally used for displaying photographs or realistic images on a web page. A balance between quality and compression will be determined by the web developer to display the images in an acceptable file size.

I hope this helps.

edwardkenway

Normally jpeg is still picture and png is like animated type file. But it has a some specification:
JPEG:
photographs
lots of clors
shading light & dark

PNG:
transparency and fading
for website images or banner
This is what i know about these things.
For website designing two type of images are very useful.

Nancy G

In posting pictures, there are sites which prefers JPEG and others wants PNG. I wonder what is the difference between them? When do you use JPEG and PNG?
From a layman’s perspective, difference between JPEG and PNG are highlighted below.

In terms of data compression, JPG is lossy while PNG is lossless meaning, JPG can only produce closest to that data when decompressed while PNG produces exact original data, no loss in quality each time file is opened and saved.

In terms of applications and storage, JPG is best for storing photographs, representing true colors and widely supported in most platforms. Data quality maybe lost during compression but hardly noticeable to the average person. On the other hand, PNG works best in storing your drawings, graphic images and text, logos, etc. without any worry of losing the actual data quality.

In terms of file size, JPG uses less space, has small file size and can be used in sharing files in most channels or sites. Good quality photograph in JPG may take only KB in size while same image compressed with PNG may will be equivalent to MB which is the reason why attachments sent via PNG are often rejected as compared to JPEG due to its large size

wrcato2

I use a lot of images for static pages and find that PNG is the best file type. For flat images you can use jpg or jpeg files. It really depends on the image and what you want it to look like.

solji05

Jpeg is equivalent to a Mp3 for a audio format which has a compression in it. So some details on the file are compressed and results to a reduced output. Unlike png (or equivalent to flac audio format) which is lossless meaning uncompressed picture format, vector images are good and clearer in this type of format, suitable for creating logos.

linconcley

Big differences here is quality JPG's quality batter than png. For more details jpg works nice where png's quality is lower than JPG. Another thing is jpg is support almost everywhere in image section. But i like png for its size.

Rob Whisonant

Rob Whisonant
You have that backwards. PNG is a lossless format. JPG is a compressed format. PNG is a larger file and is higher quality. JPG can be compressed down smaller but loses quality the more it is compressed.

TheLarbyAMR

jerzeycate

Not all answers are correct...

As a photographer, as well as a writer I think it would make sense for some of you to really look at image files, what they do and don't mean and how each are used. Talk about confusion. This thread is all over the place. Perhaps the strangest comment was that a png file is an animated file. Wow.

Let me say that while I am do not have a website up yet, I do have numerous FB pages. Stop smiling out there. There's a reason. I felt that before I went all ninja guru, I ought to learn what the heck I was doing. So, even if I outsource some capacities I will have a basic knowledge of not only what I want done, but how that happens. Its really the only way to have control over your end product. I began by learning all I could about internet business in geeneral and then took it down to learning specifics of the digital content world. I am putting together personal development products. They are arranged around "soft Skills" and come out from a central topic likes spokes on a bike wheel. As part of each piece I plan to have the typical ebook, audio file, video files, graphics, reports, etc. I then decided that I would take it further and, in order to make my products stand apart I will include workbooks and journals.

Having worked in the therapeutic aspects for over 30 years, including teaching professionals--a workbook is simple for me. Journals, well they were an entirely different animal. So.. While outsourcing the journal work seemed like a good Idea, I decided to take a few months and learn from those who build journals regularly. It is much more comp0licated than it appears. But, while it has taken 6 months, I now have a firm understanding of that part of the picture. In the meantime through FB pages, as well as several websies that have asked me to write for them, my work gets out there.

One thing I do know from 30 years in the public and private sector is that if there is to be any changce of success, you must have a comprehensive picture of not only where you think you want to go, but how to get there. I've met so many people on these boards who have not even done a basic business plan, never mind develop an understanding of what it is they are doing out here. It's no different than if one saw a sign for an Ironman Competition and thought, "that sounds good I'll do that." Know it involves running, swimming, and biking is only the first step. If you don't develop a plan, learn the rules, develop the skills you need to coplete each part of the race; you may as well stay at home on the sofa. While several people above have give excellent answers to the original question, in order to even understand which responses are helpful (from a factual standpoint) you have to understand what the terms mean. In order to understand that you have to have a basic understanding, at a minimum, of what the various image files are, and what they aren't. If you don't have that basic understanding, you may as well not even ask the question because you won't understand the responses or know whcih are in fact correct. It may not seem like a big deal. After all, they're only images. But porly done images, just like poorly done content of any type will turn people off. And, once they turn away they rarely come back.

I know I just got here, and maybe this seems awfully arrogant. I don;t mean it that way at all. I've met so many great people and gotten so much insight into your business this past year, that I want everyone to be successful. As I tell people in my basic groups about goal setting you can't calll something a goal just because you'd like to do that. Well, you can, but your chances at success are very limited. You are all very bright people. Heck I still have to keep search engines open in order to keep up with many discussions in IM forums. Please take a bit of time and do the minimal research on the topic you want to explore. Not only will you ask more comprehensive questions, you'll have a clue which of the responses you get are based on facts.

Attachments

Traffic

If you saving them for a website either is okay and both have their merit mentioned Jpeg is smaller more compressed but quality loss. Png is clearer without background. But if your scanning photos, documents or film to save on your harddrive save them as Tif.

Tif files uncompressed image files and you can scan all the way to the grain of the film and save it. Make photos the size of billboards. If you trying to decide how to save your scans then use Tif format.

stephenrobes

It's totally depends on which sites you submit and needed.

Lynsey Moyer

JPEG
Pros: small file size, widely supported, integrated EXIF (Exchangeable image file format) support
Cons: lossy compression, not great for CMYK printing

PNG
Pros: lossless compression, great for text and screenshots
Cons: larger size than JPEG, no native EXIF support

Cartloot

The fundamental contrast among JPG and PNG is the pressure calculations that they use. JPG utilizes a lossy pressure calculation that disposes of a portion of the picture data so as to decrease the size of the record. ... With PNG, the nature of the picture won't change, however the size of the record will ordinarily be bigger.

sonnyside

I would use JPEG for lightweight images. Faster to load on websites too. I would use PNG if I have transparency to it or if I want the best quality graphic for whatever reason I need it for - thumbnails, profile picture, the first draft of client artwork...

It's a common sense of the matter. Every site has its own rules and regulation. So all are compelled to abide by those terms. Best wishes to you

Freddie Sherman

Depends on what the images are and what you use them for.

JPEG works very well on photo-type images and produces small files with a small loss of image quality.

PNG reproduces the images identical and even can represent images with more than 8-bit color info per channel and images with a transparency channel.

suekcelis

Usually I use PNG format when I want my image to have a blank background. If I put my image or logo on top of any color, there will be no background. And it is never possible to do it in JPG format

Newer threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies