Web Proxy Server Questions

sunny_pro

Folks,

You know I have been googling to learn the risks of running your own open public proxy but no luck in finding any link that spells-out all the risks involved. Do you know of any good link ?

Gonna use Mini Proxy gpl script.

I want to run a web proxy like anonymouse.org.
Been reading:
https://www.godaddy.com/garage/how-to-set-up-an-https-proxy-server/

The following questions are regarding running my own web proxy.

Q1. What must I look-out for when running my own web proxy ?

Q2. Is it necessary to host your web proxy on httpS (SSL) ?

Q3. Is it necessary to buy a httpS (SSL) certificate for my domain or website ?

Q4. What resources must I get from my webhost as a minimum ?
I was told to get the following:

* An Apache server with at least PHP 5 installed, along with cURL support.
* Write access to public_html.
* The ability to set up a proxy.

Is there anything else you'd like to add in that list that I must get as a minimum from my webhost to run my own open public web proxy ?

Q5. Anything I should know ?

Thank You

As for the risks involved with running a web proxy server, I can think of the following at the top of my head. I'd appreciate it if you can add your own risk possibilities and grow the list.

* Too many users simultaneously using the service - (slowing down your proxy server)
* Illegal Sites Browsing - (getting your proxy server IP in trouble with the law)
* Viewing Streaming videos - (slowing down your proxy server and draining the bandwidth and causing trouble for other users such as timeouts)
* Bulk Downloads (videos, music files) - (slowing down your proxy server and draining the bandwidth and causing trouble for other users such as timeouts)
* Bulk Uploads (videos, music files) - (uploading virus & distributing it, slowing down your proxy server and draining the bandwidth and causing trouble for other users such as timeouts)
* DOS Attack - (getting your proxy server IP in trouble with the laws)
* Pirate Software Downloads - (getting your proxy server IP in trouble)

But, I don't think I would have any of the following risks by running a web proxy unless I run a Socks Proxy, right ?

* Spamming via your SMTP (unless, I run a webmail)
* Torrenting (Mas Seeding)
* Spreading Virus & Malware (unless, I allow uploading to my site/server)

What do you say ?
Anyway, do you know what kind of hacking risks there are by running a web proxy (if there are any risks, that is) ?

As for the risks involved with running a web proxy server, I can think of the following at the top of my head. I'd appreciate it if you can add your own risk possibilities and grow the list.

* Too many users simultaneously using the service - (slowing down your proxy server)
* Illegal Sites Browsing - (getting your proxy server IP in trouble with the law)
* Viewing Streaming videos - (slowing down your proxy server and draining the bandwidth and causing trouble for other users such as timeouts)
* Bulk Downloads (videos, music files) - (slowing down your proxy server and draining the bandwidth and causing trouble for other users such as timeouts)
* Bulk Uploads (videos, music files) - (uploading virus & distributing it, slowing down your proxy server and draining the bandwidth and causing trouble for other users such as timeouts)
* DOS Attack - (getting your proxy server IP in trouble with the laws)
* Pirate Software Downloads - (getting your proxy server IP in trouble)

But, I don't think I would have any of the following risks by running a web proxy unless I run a Socks Proxy, right ?

* Spamming via your SMTP (unless, I run a webmail)
* Torrenting (Mas Seeding)
* Spreading Virus & Malware (unless, I allow uploading to my site/server)

What do you say ?
Anyway, do you know what kind of hacking risks there are by running a web proxy (if there are any risks, that is) ?

virtubox

Hello,
to answer to some questions :

Q2) yes, it's better

Q3) No, it's not, you can get the same security with free SSL certificates (Let's Encrypt or Cloudflare)

Q4) the smallest web hosting plan will be enough

Q5) don't worry too much about "risks", web proxy are not very popular anymore since VPN provide better security and no logs

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads