How to make an e-commerce website in Wordpress?

Sam

Hello, there! I know there are many online store platforms out there, but I'm curious whether or not making an e-commerce website using WordPress is more reliable than other platforms.

Goyum

I really, truly believe for a brand new startup, or even small non-profits an e-Commerce solution built on the Wordpress platform is great. They give loads of flexibility and resources; which in turn, can save you hundreds or thousands in development. I'm huge Wordpress fans and use them regularly when looking at solutions for our small business clients.

Mike001

WordPress can be quite slow and that does not even take into account the inherent issues associated with security and SEO associated with WordPress.

For a world-wide web site, or a site that supports a large audience outside of a local area, supporting eCommerce I would never recommend WordPress, no professional developer would. There are too many limitations with SEO and security for the product.

Hostens

I would not recommend Wordpress for e-commerce also. Wordpress was mainly meant for blog and other articles/news sites and in order to use it for e-commerce you will need to have additional plugins. These plugins usually create the security issues Mike001 has mentioned.

Frankly, I would recommend PrestaShop or OpenCart. They are easy to use with a lot of functionality.

Sam

Sam
Have tried them? If so, which one is better? I think I got to becoming interesting on PrestaShop and OpenCart.

Hostens

Hostens
Yes, have tried them both. They are free to install, therefore I would recommend checking both CMS before settling with one of them. For me personally, PrestaShop was the most easy to use.

Magento is a great choice also if you have coding skills and are familiar with it.

Sam

Sam
Thank you for sharing your experience. This is helpful for me! So long, I have been trying Wordpress. It's quite dynamic and there are many features. But Wordpress seems slow for an online store site. Now, I'm going to switch between PrestaShop and OpenChart.

It's why I back to this post and looking if any of you know how to convert my WordPress online store to PrestaShop or Openchart? What tool can help? I have spent time and searched on Google, no discussion or post can really help. All of my efforts were failed. I would like to try both versions on my localhost prior to completely set it online.

Marc van Leeuwen

Premium Member
Marc van Leeuwen
It is true and I have same problem when running Wordpress with eCommerce plugins. To improve these, you need a fast host and optimize your hosting best as possible. If no, your WP site is pretty slow.

I heard of PrestaShop or Openchart but not tried them because I am afraid of using new platform which can make me consume more time to learn and configure while Wordpress is more easier.

ron13315

I suggest to use Magento. Ive tried Wordpress Woocommerce, Prestashop, Opencart and other Ecommerce CMS. For me Magento is the best followed by Opencart.

jaisnikhil

Hello, there! I know there are many online store platforms out there, but I'm curious whether or not making an e-commerce website using WordPress is more reliable than other platforms.
If you are just planning to launch your website on an small scale and do not expect high traffic at start, you can go with Wordpress but if you are expecting huge volume for traffic and going to play on large scale, I will never suggest to go with Wordpress and even any CMS. Better I would recommend you to go with custom development on any PHP or java framework.

Sam

Sam
I do agree with your opinion, but it's much better for code-savvy people. Lay people like me better use a platform. But due to so many options, it's now getting confusing to choose one.

jaisnikhil

But the CMS available now a days are not as much secure as your website must be. I can understand they can save time and money but they are not as secure might prove wrong choice. So if you have time and budget, don't chose wordpress.

Newer threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.