Webmaster Sun Login
Not a member yet? Sign up

How to make an e-commerce website in Wordpress?

• HOME
  • FORUMS
  • BLOGS
  • MARKETPLACE
  • ADVERTISING
  • SPECIAL OFFERS
  • WEB HOSTING
  • QUICK MENU
  • REGISTER HERE - Join us for FREE
    Stick this thread
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 30/2
    Given: 18/4
    Thanks

How to make an e-commerce website in Wordpress?

Hello, there! I know there are many online store platforms out there, but I'm curious whether or not making an e-commerce website using WordPress is more reliable than other platforms.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sam For This Useful Post:
    Ratha1207 (01-10-2018)

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 0/1
    Thanks
    I really, truly believe for a brand new startup, or even small non-profits an e-Commerce solution built on the Wordpress platform is great. They give loads of flexibility and resources; which in turn, can save you hundreds or thousands in development. I'm huge Wordpress fans and use them regularly when looking at solutions for our small business clients.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 348/0
    Given: 38/0
    Thanks
    WordPress can be quite slow and that does not even take into account the inherent issues associated with security and SEO associated with WordPress.

For a world-wide web site, or a site that supports a large audience outside of a local area, supporting eCommerce I would never recommend WordPress, no professional developer would. There are too many limitations with SEO and security for the product.
    Mike
    Learn Web Development - OnLine Video Training OnTargetHTML5
    Have Questions On Training or Web Development: Contact Mike

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 13/0
    Given: 1/0
    Thanks
    I would not recommend Wordpress for e-commerce also. Wordpress was mainly meant for blog and other articles/news sites and in order to use it for e-commerce you will need to have additional plugins. These plugins usually create the security issues Mike001 has mentioned.

Frankly, I would recommend PrestaShop or OpenCart. They are easy to use with a lot of functionality.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hostens View Post
    Frankly, I would recommend PrestaShop or OpenCart. They are easy to use with a lot of functionality.
    Have tried them? If so, which one is better? I think I got to becoming interesting on PrestaShop and OpenCart.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/0
    Given: 0/0
    Thanks
    I suggest to use Magento. Ive tried Wordpress Woocommerce, Prestashop, Opencart and other Ecommerce CMS. For me Magento is the best followed by Opencart.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 87/4
    Given: 115/2
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Have tried them? If so, which one is better? I think I got to becoming interesting on PrestaShop and OpenCart.
    I don't think they're better than WordPress in term of customization such as SEO-support, customized themes & plugins. For larger ecommerce site, I see they use Magento.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 13/0
    Thanks
    Yes, have tried them both. They are free to install, therefore I would recommend checking both CMS before settling with one of them. For me personally, PrestaShop was the most easy to use.

Magento is a great choice also if you have coding skills and are familiar with it.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hostens View Post
    Yes, have tried them both. They are free to install, therefore I would recommend checking both CMS before settling with one of them. For me personally, PrestaShop was the most easy to use.

Magento is a great choice also if you have coding skills and are familiar with it.
    Thank you for sharing your experience. This is helpful for me! So long, I have been trying Wordpress. It's quite dynamic and there are many features. But Wordpress seems slow for an online store site. Now, I'm going to switch between PrestaShop and OpenChart.

It's why I back to this post and looking if any of you know how to convert my WordPress online store to PrestaShop or Openchart? What tool can help? I have spent time and searched on Google, no discussion or post can really help. All of my efforts were failed. I would like to try both versions on my localhost prior to completely set it online.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 72/1
    Given: 782/2
    Thanks
    But Wordpress seems slow for an online store site. Now, I'm going to switch between PrestaShop and OpenChart.
    It is true and I have same problem when running Wordpress with eCommerce plugins. To improve these, you need a fast host and optimize your hosting best as possible. If no, your WP site is pretty slow.

I heard of PrestaShop or Openchart but not tried them because I am afraid of using new platform which can make me consume more time to learn and configure while Wordpress is more easier.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Thanks
    Hello, there! I know there are many online store platforms out there, but I'm curious whether or not making an e-commerce website using WordPress is more reliable than other platforms.
    If you are just planning to launch your website on an small scale and do not expect high traffic at start, you can go with Wordpress but if you are expecting huge volume for traffic and going to play on large scale, I will never suggest to go with Wordpress and even any CMS. Better I would recommend you to go with custom development on any PHP or java framework.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jaisnikhil View Post
    If you are just planning to launch your website on an small scale and do not expect high traffic at start, you can go with Wordpress but if you are expecting huge volume for traffic and going to play on large scale, I will never suggest to go with Wordpress and even any CMS. Better I would recommend you to go with custom development on any PHP or java framework.
    I do agree with your opinion, but it's much better for code-savvy people. Lay people like me better use a platform. But due to so many options, it's now getting confusing to choose one.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Thanks
    But the CMS available now a days are not as much secure as your website must be. I can understand they can save time and money but they are not as secure might prove wrong choice. So if you have time and budget, don't chose wordpress.

Newer Threads

1. Sean Quinn
    Marc van Leeuwen
    Replies: 12 | Views: 1573
    Last post by Marc van Leeuwen, 06-28-2018, 08:18 AM
  2. Sean Quinn
    Rob Whisonant
    Replies: 1 | Views: 844
    Last post by Rob Whisonant, 12-20-2017, 08:37 AM
  3. Pragnya123
    TheLarbyAMR
    Replies: 3 | Views: 1103