Do you feel social media is a healthy way to communicate or is there now too much controversy?

carolinasky

It is super nice to be able stay in contact with friends and family you have known for a long time but can not always get together. I think in most cases when you have good strong relationship where there has been face to face communication, the controversy online will not interfere. My point to this thread is that in most cases if you have not already established a relationship and you are trying to build one online, there maybe issues. No matter how close you think you are from communicating online, you never really know someone. How many people go through getting catfish in a year, a ton. So many people lie and hide behind a fake persona because they re to embarrassed to be and say who they really are. Do you feel this will be difficult to build a strong long lasting relationship through social media and you can always trust that person? I am sure anything is possible, but few and far.

Nancy G

The availability of various social media sites have made communication easier, faster, cheaper nationwide or worldwide. Sharing of information, interests, videos/images, making friends and other connections, etc. are just a click away. Businesses and entrepreneurs are using this platform to sell online. Individuals make a living and enjoy working at home through various jobs available through the internet. Your far away loved ones and friends are within reach.

The use of social media comes with great responsibility. We always think before we write or do something as we are accountable for our actions and consequences especially if it affects other people or the public as well. There are restrictions imposed by owners of these sites and laws to protect the general public. Freedom of expression is enjoyed but not absolute. Some people may abuse this freedom, sow hate and negativity and suffer consequences later on.

Just like all aspects of our life, one must maintain a healthy balance, meaning, you cannot spend most of your waking hours online. There must be a balance to rest, time between doing things online and offline. Anything too much may not be good for the mental, physical or spiritual wellbeing of a person. Spend time to enjoy the roses and quality physical connections with loved ones and friends.

amelia88

I think like anything in life there are both pros and cons to it. I've got family and friends scattered all around the world, so for those people it's great to be able to stay in touch and also see lots of pictures of what's happening in their lives. I worry though that for a lot of people it starts to substitute for real life interactions for the people in their lives close by to them. I've been trying to ensure that I don't slip into that trap myself, and that I schedule regular catch ups with my loved ones that live nearby. Even if it's catching up at a coffee shop once every couple of weeks, I think it's still very important to have that level of interaction.

manmad

Social medias are nice, because you can find people you haven't seen from a long time or meet a lot of new people and communicate with them on the platform, however if it's simply talking to people you already know, there are a lot of other and better options.

JayGum28

I think it depends on how one uses social media. Social media has established connections that cross borders and continents, thus enabling families, relatives, and friends to stay connected and in-touch with each other despite being a thousand miles apart. It brings you closer to them not only through the form of written texts, but also through videos and pictures because of the technological advancement today.

Social media can be considered as a healthy way of communicating because it somehow satisfies those that are apart from their loved ones, but it also has a dark side to it. Social media is an open platform wherein you could express yourself by posting whatever you want good or bad. It is open to misuse and it often causes unnecessary worries and problems, especially if it involves damaging and sensitive matters.

In the end social media can be compared to a weapon, it could either be used for good or bad. It all depends on how one uses it to maintain a healthy and stress-free communication.

HazelDJ

For me, there are some cases that it is difficult to established a strong relationship with somebody through social media. Sometimes, people do not tell the truth about themselves. Some just want to make fun with others and some just want to get money. For example, an single woman who worked overseas was looking for a lifetime partner in her home country. Here came the opportunist idle guy telling that he loved and wanted to marry the single woman. So, the latter trusted that person. One day, she sent money to that guy for the preparation for their wedding. Time came when the woman went home, the guy did not show up.

I therefore say that in social media, the chance of getting a strong and trusting relationship to a person whom we do not know is slim.

Judas2018

Any form of communication is healthy. It's toxic people and their choice to be mean or threatening that make it unhealthy. Some people who are aggressive on social media are the same way in real life, unfortunately.

trendjing

Social media did brought us closer to families and friends. It makes our loneliness ease from missing our family from the other part of the world. It may be an advantage for couples who are in long-distance relationship. We cannot deny the fact that they rely on social media to get news on how he or she is doing.

I agree on the emphasis you are trying to point at. Using social media in getting to know a person truly well is not enough. There maybe lies underneath the pictures, profile, and chats he or she is trying to portray. The only thing to do is to make time in knowing the person in a personal level wherein you have to meet him/her and know each other as well as knowing the family and friends. Taking time in this stage will really impact your future epecially if this someone will soon to be your better-half.

hgonzales2

Using the social media to get in touch with family and friends is the most convenient way to communicate not just that because it's cheaper than any other ways. To consider it healthy, people should be mindful on what information should be given online. We are aware that sensitive information maybe at risk if it is posted or provided anywhere online. As a user, we should be more cautious when it comes to providing important information online. Anything could happen in no time.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views