Wordpress canonical URL without plugin?

Jack London

I understand how to use canonical urls on a static HTML based site, but I don't understand where to include these URLs on a WordPress based site. I researched and found a few plugins to do this but it it possible for me to only have access to the files of my theme? so I'm a bit lost as to how to access the head tags for those URLs to input the code. Can you guys shoot me a guide?

Netman82

<link rel="canonical" href="https://mysiteurlDOTcom<?php echo $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'];?>">

1. Login to WordPress
2. Hover over Appearance
3. Click Editor
3. Find Theme Header (header.php)
5. Add the Universal PHP Code for Canonical URLs found above within the HEAD section of your theme header file.

vishwa

I think that we all need an SEO plugin for our WordPress blog. Hence most of the SEO plugin comes with features like Canonical URL. Adding it manually to theme header file can be risky as when you update your theme files it will be removed and you have to put it again. You can use Yoast SEO plugin. Works great for me.

copperman

I have been using the Yoast plugin.

All the pages have the Canonical URLs except for the homepage.

Is there a code that adds a Canonical URL only on the homepage?

I tried this <link rel="canonical" href="https://mysiteurlDOTcom<?php echo $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'];?>"> works really well. Thank you, Netman82

But it doubles the Canonical URLs on the other pages, as Yoast already adds it on the other pages.

Thank you.

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.