Best way to learn Programming

DanielN

Hello,

I have a lot of experience using CMS-s like WordPress and various scripts.
I can also achieve my goals by meddling with their code or adding extra functions.

I'm also quite familiar with HTML and CSS.

What would be an optimal way or order to learn more about coding?

I was thinking of learning about the following:
PHP, Java, Bootstrap

My goal is really just to modify already existing theme more in-depth.

Thanks

Hostens

Best way to learn coding would be to start in any website for learning coding. There usually are game like tutorials with in depth explanation who does what and how to start. It is easy and practical at the same time. Some of them are free for the beginners, others have a subscription fee if you want to use it. For example:

https://www.codeschool.com/
https://www.codecademy.com/catalog/subject/web-development

For me personally, this was a great way to start.

Judas2018

You can hook up ith some coding groups, forums and chats. Some of those guys are a bit surly but if you get to know them, and post and visit enough - you might find some who're a bit more willing to lend their expertise and knowledge down to you.

mallikarjuna

so many online resources are available for learning coding like w3schools and javatpoint are giving a chance to learn coding in online. Try to learn from those resources and practise in real time manner

Gh0st4unt3r

The best way to learn is actual doing to understand how code works, but as above there is many mentioned sites that i have used online such as W3schools, code academy, envato tuts and YouTube, there is so many help guides from free to paid, to get the bare basics before you jump right into the code.

best advise would be to have an idea to start with for a project, see if there is an existing application out there in the world that might be free and open source, look at the code try to understand it and see if you can test and work on something similar for your own creations

GMBReviews

Hello,

I have a lot of experience using CMS-s like WordPress and various scripts.
I can also achieve my goals by meddling with their code or adding extra functions.

I'm also quite familiar with HTML and CSS.

What would be an optimal way or order to learn more about coding?

I was thinking of learning about the following:
PHP, Java, Bootstrap

My goal is really just to modify already existing theme more in-depth.

Thanks
You're better off with FreeCodeCamp, Codecademy.
But you can learn much more with edx.org, udacity

Hielleug

Don't just read the books. The best way to learn code is by doing it in front of computer. It's easy to spend hours reading about syntax, but computer languages like human languages require you to use or practice them in order to understand them.

There are tones of sites for practising coding as a beginner:
W3schools, Tutorials point, Java t point etc

Happy Coding..!!!

Benjamin Müller

Two important things when learning programming:

Choose one language and stick with it (at first): Each language has different syntax, but the underlying structure/semantics is the same. Your goal for now is to learn that structure. Switching between languages will keep you up with learning different syntax instead of the structure. I'd recommend python for a start as it's very easy to understand and has no big syntax overhead.

Learning by Doing: Learn the basics and then start playing around with actually writing code. Don't waste your time reading tutorials that are way above your head, as not much will stick with you. Instead start a small project and when questions arise, search for answers to those questions.

The free python course on codecademy.com is a good place to start imo

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.