Webmaster Sun Login
Not a member yet? Sign up

What are essential skills that a person looking into online marketing?

• HOME
  • FORUMS
  • BLOGS
  • MARKETPLACE
  • ADVERTISING
  • SPECIAL OFFERS
  • WEB HOSTING
  • QUICK MENU
  • REGISTER HERE - Join us for FREE
    Stick this thread
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0
    Thanks

What are essential skills that a person looking into online marketing?

Hey,

When someone decides to devote his or her life to IM, what skills are needed to break into this exciting career? Sure, IM is a vast place and one should go with one of the niches like SEO, Social media and other, but the basic skills are the same, right?

I mean, instead of focusing on the college education and spending years finding a decent job, people could exploit their skills to make it in the IM. So, what do you think one should learn to succeed in IM world?

Thanks!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/0
    Thanks
    More than just skills (which I will list later) ....MINDSET is the key. You must have a BUSINESS MINDSET right from the start. When you treat IM as a business, then everything becomes more serious. It is no more "hobby". Think of it this way....if you love baking and open a bakery shop, I bet you will be there everyday no matter what (at least in the 1st couple of years) because of all the $$ you have invested in. Same with IM. In my opinion, 90+% people give up on IM after a while because they start with the wrong mindset (either fault of their own by not thinking it through properly or many "gurus" out there peddle the "work 20 mins a day and earn thousands per month")

Now for the skill part.....List Building and Email Marketing is where I would start. When you have a list of subscribers (and buyers) then you have "ready-made" potential customers. You can sell them anything technically but of course you have to make sure that you build a strong relationship with your list etc etc. Start selling other people's products and earn commission from them (Affiliate Marketing). These 3 skills will bring in the $$.

That is my view. Hope that is helpful.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Thanks
    I would have to say that patience is up there on the list in terms of learning what you need to do and learning what you yourself are really good at. That is the first thing that really jumped into my mind at least when I first thought about it.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 412/1
    Given: 27/1
    Thanks
    Actually you only need one skill. You need to be able to manage people. That's it. You can hire others to actually create websites, do research, drive traffic etc. Well, you could also hire someone to do the managing also.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 1/0
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Whisonant View Post
    Actually you only need one skill. You need to be able to manage people. That's it. You can hire others to actually create websites, do research, drive traffic etc. Well, you could also hire someone to do the managing also.
    There's a lot to be said for this. In 2018 you could essentially replace an internet marketing person in concept by someone who manages projects. I would add one nuance to it, though. You need the ability to admit your own failures and adapt your approach to what is working. I've seen hard-nosed marketing approaches that don't generate results. As recently as 2017 I saw a guy renew an expensive banner campaign that had turned no results...because he had success with the same sort of banner campaign a decade prior, "so this one just needs time."

I ran a campaign at one point to get my coupons onto all sorts of coupon sites like retailmenot. From that I learned through data that my users were actually arriving to my order form (read: they had made the decision to purchase) and THEN googling for a coupon. So I was just handing out discounts for no reason, since they had already chosen to purchase. They were not reaching my site via the coupons or googling for coupons before the order form. (Duh, when was the last time you just browsed retailmenot) So I killed the project.

Analyzing success and failure half the battle, even if you can manage projects. Got to know when you screw up.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Thanks
    I think that one needs to have:

-the skill and talent to write good content
    -patience
    -persistence

and love to this profession

You need to have enough money to pay someone and to support yourself, so I think at first you do need some skills, even to get started.
    Last edited by ulterios; 04-16-2018 at 04:56 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 412/1
    Given: 27/1
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnesto View Post
    I think that one needs to have:

-the skill and talent to write good content
    -patience
    -persistence

and love to this profession
    I totally agree with patience and persistence. You need both.

But you don't need the skill or talent to write good content. You can hire someone that has the skills and talent to write the content for you.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 10/0
    Given: 12/0
    Thanks
    COMMITMENT. I wanna focus on that, mindset too. commitment will give you the edge. most people will just quit too soon. Stick to a program, dont just go jumping from one program to another, it does not help. Make one program work for you, if you like CPA stick to it, if you want to build your list, go stick to it for several months. If you wanna provide your services you have skills like graphic designing , look for clients, find a way to get clients do it for several months. you may not see results immediately but the network and connections you got plus the skills you acquire from the trade makes you valuable in your field. Bootstrap your way, its what i do now, still stick to it, make it work. lastly, find mentors, they are everywhere get knowledge from them. hope this helps. find out what you are passionate of, tap into that skill and develop it, find a market for that skill, find a way so people can get your services.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/0
    Thanks
    The psychological aspect is more important than the physical aspect. YouTube makes it simple for anyone to break into affiliate marketing and other MMO niches, so the physical restraints can always be worked out. What most newbie marketers lack is the psychological aspect and generic idea of "getting rich quick" with minimal or no effort at all.

This is farthest from the truth > harsh reality is it takes more time, hardword and dedication than any 9 - 5, 7 days/week which is when most seem to give up...

The reality is; anyone can really do this (that is a fact), but because of the lack of psychological and a real desire, more then 90% who try will fail...

Scott.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/1
    Given: 2/0
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by douglasltc View Post
    More than just skills (which I will list later) ....MINDSET is the key. You must have a BUSINESS MINDSET right from the start. When you treat IM as a business, then everything becomes more serious. It is no more "hobby". Think of it this way....if you love baking and open a bakery shop, I bet you will be there everyday no matter what (at least in the 1st couple of years) because of all the $$ you have invested in. Same with IM. In my opinion, 90+% people give up on IM after a while because they start with the wrong mindset (either fault of their own by not thinking it through properly or many "gurus" out there peddle the "work 20 mins a day and earn thousands per month")

Now for the skill part.....List Building and Email Marketing is where I would start. When you have a list of subscribers (and buyers) then you have "ready-made" potential customers. You can sell them anything technically but of course you have to make sure that you build a strong relationship with your list etc etc. Start selling other people's products and earn commission from them (Affiliate Marketing). These 3 skills will bring in the $$.

It is very difficult to collect leads!I also collect but I realize that my client has no potential with the product I am taking!
    Can you share how you do it??

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 27/2
    Given: 18/4
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by douglasltc View Post

Hi Douglas! Yes, I do agree with you. But just want to add, to get to the stage of "List Building" is very tough. It would be a long journey if you start from zero and without advertising. But if so, need hard work and be patient. Because to get your IM to succeed need years. Even 2 years are not enough.

For Tanja23, If you have a common job and would like to start IM, I suggest you to not leaving your current job and switching to IM at all. But you can learn and start IM on your side. But if your IM is growing high, you may leave your common job.

Good luck!
    Selp-help - Skill sharing and selp-help made easy. | Panduan dan Tips - Portal informasi, panduan dan tips di Indonesia.

Newer Threads

1. tanja23
    vishwa
    Replies: 2 | Views: 220
    Last post by vishwa, 02-08-2018, 08:20 AM
  2. tanja23
    Rob Whisonant
    Replies: 4 | Views: 422
    Last post by Rob Whisonant, 04-02-2018, 07:10 PM
  3. Shutout
    jackychen
    Replies: 2 | Views: 610