What are essential skills that a person looking into online marketing?

tanja23

Hey,

When someone decides to devote his or her life to IM, what skills are needed to break into this exciting career? Sure, IM is a vast place and one should go with one of the niches like SEO, Social media and other, but the basic skills are the same, right?

I mean, instead of focusing on the college education and spending years finding a decent job, people could exploit their skills to make it in the IM. So, what do you think one should learn to succeed in IM world?

Thanks!

douglasltc

Best answer
More than just skills (which I will list later) ....MINDSET is the key. You must have a BUSINESS MINDSET right from the start. When you treat IM as a business, then everything becomes more serious. It is no more "hobby". Think of it this way....if you love baking and open a bakery shop, I bet you will be there everyday no matter what (at least in the 1st couple of years) because of all the $$ you have invested in. Same with IM. In my opinion, 90+% people give up on IM after a while because they start with the wrong mindset (either fault of their own by not thinking it through properly or many "gurus" out there peddle the "work 20 mins a day and earn thousands per month")

Now for the skill part.....List Building and Email Marketing is where I would start. When you have a list of subscribers (and buyers) then you have "ready-made" potential customers. You can sell them anything technically but of course you have to make sure that you build a strong relationship with your list etc etc. Start selling other people's products and earn commission from them (Affiliate Marketing). These 3 skills will bring in the $$.

That is my view. Hope that is helpful.

Sam

Sam
Hi Douglas! Yes, I do agree with you. But just want to add, to get to the stage of "List Building" is very tough. It would be a long journey if you start from zero and without advertising. But if so, need hard work and be patient. Because to get your IM to succeed need years. Even 2 years are not enough.

For Tanja23, If you have a common job and would like to start IM, I suggest you to not leaving your current job and switching to IM at all. But you can learn and start IM on your side. But if your IM is growing high, you may leave your common job.

Good luck!

Larryl332

I would have to say that patience is up there on the list in terms of learning what you need to do and learning what you yourself are really good at. That is the first thing that really jumped into my mind at least when I first thought about it.

Rob Whisonant

Actually you only need one skill. You need to be able to manage people. That's it. You can hire others to actually create websites, do research, drive traffic etc. Well, you could also hire someone to do the managing also. :)

zomgmike

zomgmike
There's a lot to be said for this. In 2018 you could essentially replace an internet marketing person in concept by someone who manages projects. I would add one nuance to it, though. You need the ability to admit your own failures and adapt your approach to what is working. I've seen hard-nosed marketing approaches that don't generate results. As recently as 2017 I saw a guy renew an expensive banner campaign that had turned no results...because he had success with the same sort of banner campaign a decade prior, "so this one just needs time."

I ran a campaign at one point to get my coupons onto all sorts of coupon sites like retailmenot. From that I learned through data that my users were actually arriving to my order form (read: they had made the decision to purchase) and THEN googling for a coupon. So I was just handing out discounts for no reason, since they had already chosen to purchase. They were not reaching my site via the coupons or googling for coupons before the order form. (Duh, when was the last time you just browsed retailmenot) So I killed the project.

Analyzing success and failure half the battle, even if you can manage projects. Got to know when you screw up.

Arnesto

I think that one needs to have:

-the skill and talent to write good content
-patience
-persistence

and love to this profession

You need to have enough money to pay someone and to support yourself, so I think at first you do need some skills, even to get started.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob Whisonant

Rob Whisonant
I totally agree with patience and persistence. You need both.

But you don't need the skill or talent to write good content. You can hire someone that has the skills and talent to write the content for you.

Princety

COMMITMENT. I wanna focus on that, mindset too. commitment will give you the edge. most people will just quit too soon. Stick to a program, dont just go jumping from one program to another, it does not help. Make one program work for you, if you like CPA stick to it, if you want to build your list, go stick to it for several months. If you wanna provide your services you have skills like graphic designing , look for clients, find a way to get clients do it for several months. you may not see results immediately but the network and connections you got plus the skills you acquire from the trade makes you valuable in your field. Bootstrap your way, its what i do now, still stick to it, make it work. lastly, find mentors, they are everywhere get knowledge from them. hope this helps. find out what you are passionate of, tap into that skill and develop it, find a market for that skill, find a way so people can get your services.:rolleyes2:

acemetillidie0001

The psychological aspect is more important than the physical aspect. YouTube makes it simple for anyone to break into affiliate marketing and other MMO niches, so the physical restraints can always be worked out. What most newbie marketers lack is the psychological aspect and generic idea of "getting rich quick" with minimal or no effort at all.

This is farthest from the truth > harsh reality is it takes more time, hardword and dedication than any 9 - 5, 7 days/week which is when most seem to give up...

The reality is; anyone can really do this (that is a fact), but because of the lack of psychological and a real desire, more then 90% who try will fail...

Scott.

hamlak

I think you need a lot of skills to be able to work and earn online.

To acquire many of these skills require that you must devote your time and resources to reading and learning online. You must be someone who can learn without someone breathing down your neck. You should be self motivated.

You need to have an area of interest and then look for people / forum in such areas and learn from them. You can also buy or get eBooks. Also Google is your friend. Everything info is online and you can get them free. Wat you need is the motivation to learn. You can study for 2 hours everyday.

You need to develop the love to write as most of what you will be doing online will involve communication via writing. You need to know a little about HTML as you will need to be able to make an affiliate link and so on.

If you want to cut down on the time needed, just get a MENTOR. I don't want to say much on this. Just take my advice and do it. A mentor will be anyone you know earning money online. Beg the person to teach you. Pay the person if you have to.

Arkinson4

Obviously marketing skill is needed for online marketing. If you don't have marketing skill you'll not be able to get the success.

yfinancialvictory

It is very important to educate yourself in everything related to marketing as much as possible, good luck!

odysseus

Persistence is number one for sure.

There are people that have made it fast, no doubt. They are the outliers, mostly they've been lucky. The average person looking to make decent money online needs to put in a minimum of year or two first, often more.

Traffic

Essential skills are only required once you get the work but you will need skills to get the work. I suggest you try your own content writing and see how you can rank your own work if this is your desire. Content creation blogging product reviews and earn same time with that. Read tutorials as you will learn how to speed up the process giving yourself more of the bigger picture.

amanwaa

When you think about online business and making a passive online income than one is the most important thing is "patience" if you have a positive attitude then you will surely make online money and also basically required digital media, SEO, basic HTML codes!!!

JanetGriggs

Hello

I would need to say that patience is all up there on the list in terms of learning what you want to do and learning what you are excellent at. That is the first thing jumped into my own mind once I thought about it.

Chancer

o-ok...

How many of the people above make their full-time living from marketing (marketing, not by outsourcing everything, because then you are more like a CEO or COO)?
Say 'I' please...

To the OP:
Do you want to be a 9-5 marketer (job), or an entrepreneur?
Because the two require different specializations.

However - i will assume you are asking for the 'core' skills - they have the same base - ability to sell.
Sounds dull and obvious?
Let me rephrase it: you need the skill of persuading others they want X.

Now many will say 'NO! you need to be ethical! you only sell to people what they need.'
Sure, but even then you need to persuade them they need the toothbrush you are offering, not the toothbrushes your 3 neighbors are offering.
If you don't, the customer will probably buy a dental floss from the neighborhood dog - cuteness factor!

So, learn to sell. It is part matching the product to your customer's needs, part hard-core psychology and part trait.
Search Mr. Google for 'how to pitch' and you will have a decent start.

Next learn copywriting. It is basically 80% of pitching.

And it doesn't hurt to learn photoshop or something like that. You always need a visual 'wow' factor.

HarveyD

Take Digital Marketing Course in Udemy, that is all you need.

stephenrobes

Hey,

When someone decides to devote his or her life to IM, what skills are needed to break into this exciting career? Sure, IM is a vast place and one should go with one of the niches like SEO, Social media and other, but the basic skills are the same, right?

I mean, instead of focusing on the college education and spending years finding a decent job, people could exploit their skills to make it in the IM. So, what do you think one should learn to succeed in IM world?

Thanks!
At first a strong mindset up for work here
A lot of patience
Hord working
To learn from here.

PayOp

I think it’s important to know how to monetize and expand your business.

bessieexum

Hi

I would have to say that patience is up there among the list concerning learning things you have to do and learning what you yourself are excellent at. That is the first thing that jumped into my own mind at least once I thought about it.

Have a great work. :D

Older threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.