How much of an advantage is a .com in promoting your brand name?

yunarel

This forum is using .com, how if you use .net .marketing or .hosting for a same domain. Is it more disadvantages than using .com in promoting your brand name? What are your thoughts?

Rob Whisonant

Let's say your brand is "Super Duper Widgets" If someone trys to find your site, they are going to type in superduperwidgets.com Not .net, .widgets or anything else.

So .com is always better and much more valuable. Unless you want to give free traffic to the person that owns the .com version. :)

Hostens

Hostens
Agreement on this part. Unless, you brand yourself already as "Super Duper Widgets NET", but this would confuse more than provide benefit from it. If you have possibility to use .com - use. The only other option I see here is if you position yourself only for specific market, let's say UK, then you should probably use the .co.uk or any other country related domain.

If you think about .hosting , .marketing or any other not mainstream domain extension, ask yourself a question - Have I (or your targeted audience) heard about any other brand/website that uses this domain extension? If not - then the chosen extension is probably not for you.

Scopehosts

.com is the most preferred TLD (Top Level Domain)
This domain is also important for SEO purpose. A .com domain will get more rankings than a .net domain.
And if you want to target the website to general audience, .com is very important. .hosting and .marketing can be used but these are related to a specific target area.

Traffic

Depends if you have the dot com you might want to own the gtld if available.
I have webmastermenu.com and webmaster.menu
Browsers will drop http://www. https://www. touch screens and accidental dots (.) between words also lead to type ins this is already happening with sms supporting gtd on your phone. There is more coming for type ins. Don't disregard the present power they already have. Brands you have to describe what your selling generic sells itself.

jakeis

Here's a statistics (from 2017) that I just found, published by Statista. The data is based on the top 10 million websites.
265677.png
As you see '' .com '' reaches 46.8% of all top-level domains worldwide. It's not a surprising fact why so many people will expect your website to end on '' .com '' and write it in the address bar this way. My suggestion is to get a .com domain, as it will be easier to establish a strong online presence.

radwebhosting

It's definitely better to have .com and not need it than need it and not have it

hamlak

Like everyone here have written, ,com is the number one TDL. The others follows after this. So why be second and not first? If you can get the com, always go for that.

Alexlari

.com is always valuable, especially for Google ranking, even if it's a small factor.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.