Do I stand a chance of earning online?

Curious Mind

Hello webmasters from around the globe!
I am a frustrated Civil Engineer by qualification, a writer by hobby and am trying to be an online entrepreneur nowadays. I am not good with codes or seo or such technical stuffs. I have experience with CMS like Wordpress, Drupal and Joomla. Am not a pro expert with them but somehow I do make things happen by learning from the minds like you online. Infact, i have actually learnt enough that I am able to help newbies online with theme customisation and plugin choices. Now I wish to earn money online like the many of you if it is literally possible since I don't have a Job now... Any genuine guide would be appreciated. Moreover, is adsense the only profitable online earning solution??

Rob Whisonant

Let's stick with what you mentioned as being good at. Theme customization. How about creating a course on theme customization basics to start? You could sell it on sites like Udemy. You could also offer your services for a fee to do theme customization's. This would just be a starting point.

Since you don't currently have a lot of traffic, stay away from adsense. You can quickly go broke trying to make enough money off adsense if you don't have a good amount of traffic.

Start a free mini course on theme customizing. Start building an email list and while giving the subscribers more content on customizing themes, upsell your services and actual themes they can buy to customize.

That should give you something to start with. And DO NOT CHASE THE BIG RED EASY BUTTON! Don't hop from one thing to another trying to find something that works for you overnight. At first, stick to what you know and build on that over time.

Curious Mind

Thank you my good sir. I was actually expecting your kind of matured response. I always knew that the thousands of articles and blogs that were just over rated. But somehow I also believe that some do really make a living working online... Now those are different than me since they have the required knowledge and skills. However, I was hoping that maybe I too could help myself if I try. I have a blog on blogger (I am an active writer) and have two self hosted wordpress sites with my own custom domain. And I am learning PHP, CSS and html on my PC. I am using XAMMP. I have a fair knowledge of popular CMS and their customisation (not perfect). I have several gTLD parked on my webhost account. I have tried out Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla, elgg, Dolphin,Phpbb,Jcow. All these I did on my own by reading and following online help articles. But I still have not tried or started to monetise my knowledge and resources online. I am considering though...

Finally the million dollar question : Without formal education/degree in programming can I still pursue online career? Hit me hard but with reality... Thanks

Rob Whisonant

Rob Whisonant
Of course. Why would you even think that you could not? Sounds like someone has been feeding you the old bull shit that you have to get a college education to be a real success.

Get out of your own head and limiting beliefs.

Mike001

I tend to agree with Rob on many of his points, and will add that although a college degree is not necessary to be a success, it definitely opens doors that would normally be closed in the brick and mortar world, especially in the world of programming and software development. I know this first hand, as I teach at the university level in web engineering and web development. But that said, that has nothing to do with working on line.

I know many successful people who work strictly online, that do not have degrees, or for that matter any formal education past high school.

Working online takes a special set of skills that many people do not have, even though they may fool themselves into believing they do. Lets look at a few of the important ones, it may surprise you to realize that many of them have very little to do with actual product knowledge.

1. Persistence - understanding that you are probably not the that one in a million person that will be successful on their first attempt is good starting point. Find a topic that you are interested in and experiment with different types of landing page designs, presentations, give a ways, etc, and build a your mailing list. Use multiple types of pages and designs to find which ones are most successful. This will take time but everyday you will build more knowledge as to what works and what does not for your particular audience for your particular product.

2. Dedicate Time - work with your products, blogs, articles, tutorials, everyday. Regardless of what type of products or information you are relaying work with it daily, this does not mean that you have to add new products everyday, it does mean to add to your knowledge everyday, constantly build your skill set. Read articles, write articles, become a member of groups and organizations that work with your type of products, get your name out their, become known in that niche. Again this takes time but is well worth the effort.

3. Accept that there will be failure - Know going in that you are going to fail at some aspects of what you are trying to do. That is life, shit happens. When you are working with your site or presentation of your products understand that one size does not fit all. You have people that will be very critical of what you are doing that tend to think they know everything about your product. Weigh their comments and criticisms constructively. Take the information that you have been provided peel out the information that can help you succeed and discard the rest. Do not take it personal.

4. Know your audience - constantly build your knowledge on the type of people that are interested in your product. Understanding your audience and targeting that audience will really help you build that contact list that will lead to increased sales in the product that you are developing.

5. Set goals - Don't go in to this blind. Set realistic goals that you want to achieve. I have been using goals for many years in many of the things that I do. I set them for weekly, monthly, 60 day and 90 day goals. I tend to keep them limited to 90 days as normally circumstances will change long term goals based on the how the short term goals have gone. Many years ago, while working as a Director for a Fortune 50 Company, I developed what was called S.M.A.R.T. goals, for the organization. It has really taken off and are used by many companies today. S.M.A.R.T. is an acronym for Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Timely. If you keep your goals written down, and they qualify under the SMART goal process, that will keep you on track and help you achieve your end goal.

One thing I would like to point out. Working with the CMS's that you have discussed is a very over saturated market. There are many organizations, and individuals that are working that niche. Also if you do some research you will find that people and organizations are moving away from CMS systems due to security and configuration issues. With all the concerns on data security the bigger CMS systems have not been able to keep up with the security changes needed to keep their systems secure. Just something to think about, as you begin your journey.

There is so much more that I would like to say but time is limited. Good luck with your journey, and let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

Curious Mind

Thank you so much Sir @mike
That was one good exhortation to me. Thank you much for your kind concern and most of all for taking out your valuable time just to help me understand the journey I am about to begin. That was very realistic, especially what you said about the rush in CMS field. I thank both of you (@rob) for being so nice to a newbie. I shall continue learning and acquiring some more knowledge. In the meantime I have decided to do the following..

1. I'll continue my blogging. I'll write articles on some CMS theme customisation (themes I am familiar with) and provide guidance through comments and forums to attract traffic.

2. I'll try to sell my own books (i have written few) along with some affiliate products on my sites (I have two very basic sites visited by friends, families and some others) until such time when I have sufficient traffic to go for Adsense (as @Rob advised).

3. I will focus on my upcoming fiction novels for the time being and try to acquire knowledge by joining and participating in forums and sites like this.

4. Finally i'll go live with my professional service website next year. I'll focus on one and only one thing I am good at (somehow)... " PhP and Css related customisation and coding".

Thanks again. I'll be seeing you guys around again in need.
P.S: My articles and ebook site is on a dotXYZ domain. Do you think I need to change?

Mike001

No problem at all, glad I could help.

It sounds like you have a good plan. If you need any help just let me know, I will do whatever I can.

RhealaineS

Definitely! Everyone can earn money online. Just be persistent in looking for legit online jobs, and I'm sure that you can have one. There are a lot of Youtubers who make videos on how you can make money online. You can check it out, and you will find a job that fits you.

gracadedues

What I've learnt about online world is that you need to just try stay true to yourself and create a business around what you are good at or what you are passionate about. Don't try to be something you are not. Don't try the next guru's shiny object. Model after the gurus but create your own version of a service or product. The next key thing is to pick a niche. It will make it way easier to get started with. And if it doesn't work then pick another niche. It sounds like you are a very intelligent person so don't try to be too much of a perfectionist. Get your Minimal Viable Product or Service out and let the market tell you what they want. Then refine and improve as you go.

bencryer

Good points, Mike. Can't agree with you more. Having said this much, as you say, getting a good degree gives that initial push and is an effective stepping stone. From there on, it is entirely up to you.

yfinancialvictory

As someone said, you can create a course or en ebook on your strengths and start driving traffic to it. I am sure you can start making money and create a business. Good luck and keep us updated

MyLead

Hello webmasters from around the globe!
I am a frustrated Civil Engineer by qualification, a writer by hobby and am trying to be an online entrepreneur nowadays. I am not good with codes or seo or such technical stuffs. I have experience with CMS like Wordpress, Drupal and Joomla. Am not a pro expert with them but somehow I do make things happen by learning from the minds like you online. Infact, i have actually learnt enough that I am able to help newbies online with theme customisation and plugin choices. Now I wish to earn money online like the many of you if it is literally possible since I don't have a Job now... Any genuine guide would be appreciated. Moreover, is adsense the only profitable online earning solution??
The most important part with making money online is obstinacy, as long as you can even copy someone method you'll earn something :)

odonel

I do not see many engineering videos on youtubes. i would add that as an extra to what everyone else said. Why not create an online firm ?

CoreAnderson

Once I was passing too from this kind of situation. I think my advice may help you.
As you say you are good at customization so you can create your own website in which you can teach other people about wordpress, drupal and joomla. You can write blogs on how to start as a wordpress developer or which platform is better wordpress,drupal or joomla.
You can make tutorials and upload it on YouTube where Digital presence get better and will like to view your new work.
here you can share your work experience to current progress. You can earn through online videos.
There are so many ways to earn the choice is your.

JohnWeb

The coding itself is not extremely difficult to setup and can be done by someone else. Most of your work could be getting the internet traffic.

Hi,
Start blogging about a topic that you are passionate about and join relevant affiliate programs to your blog and this way you can monetise your traffic.
The key to online marketing success really is targeted traffic, by blogging regularly with quality content and also building your social media presence, you will start seeing traffic, sales and commissions.

Good luck!

bessieexum

As someone said, you may make a class or en banner in your own strengths and begin driving traffic to it. I will be confident you make an enterprise and can begin to make money. Fantastic luck and keep us updated.

oooohchristian

yes there's plenty of ways to make money online just have to look for em. hackforums ive noticed has alot of methods to make easy money online

YOUSEFAMASHA

Let's stick with what you mentioned as being good at. Theme customization. How about creating a course on theme customization basics to start? You could sell it on sites like Udemy. You could also offer your services for a fee to do theme customization's. This would just be a starting point.

Since you don't currently have a lot of traffic, stay away from adsense. You can quickly go broke trying to make enough money off adsense if you don't have a good amount of traffic.

Start a free mini course on theme customizing. Start building an email list and while giving the subscribers more content on customizing themes, upsell your services and actual themes they can buy to customize.

That should give you something to start with. And DO NOT CHASE THE BIG RED EASY BUTTON! Don't hop from one thing to another trying to find something that works for you overnight. At first, stick to what you know and build on that over time.

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.