Is there something I should know about .xyz domains? I think there is....

Curious Mind

Hi,
I recently bought two xyz domain names. I actually wanted to go for a dotcom but the name I wanted was already taken in com extension so I opted for the same name in xyz extension. As I started developing a site on one of them I noticed that safari doesn't recognise xyz address and everytime I type in my domain name on the address bar safari brings up a search result page. It doesn't works both with and without www, the only instance it works is when I use http
My question: Is there any other such known issues with xyz domain name in other browsers?
Will this issue be addressed?
Is it safe to invest on a xyz domain?
Does xyz domain has any negative aspect on SEO?

Mike001

The .xyz TLD (top level domain) extensions have been around awhile, since 2014. There was a time that many thought that this new domain extension would become quite popular but as you have found out, that has not been near a quick as many predicted.

Although the popularity is increasing, it is still not quite where it needs to be. Safari is not the only browser that has problems logically finding that extension. Many of the older browsers have the same issues and many people still use those browsers. As much as we would like the world to stay up to date with browser updates any seasoned web developer will tell you that is not the case.

There are quite a few hosting providers that push the .xyz extension because they can find domain names much easier with that extension and the cost are cheaper to register them. Of course most of them do not pass that saving on to their users and still charge them an inflated registration fee. As more and more domains are registered, the extension will become more popular, but for now it is still best to have the .com, .net, .org extensions if at all possible.

Keep in mind that your users will make the assumption that your extension is a .com or .net, those are currently the 2 most popular extensions and the ones that most of us are used to visiting.

There are many creative ways to assemble a domain name, you may want to look at a more creative way to get your name on a .com or .net URL. Just something to think about.

theprb

.xyz domains are, in my opinion, associated with spam. I have never seen a legitimate .xyz domain. However, literally hundreds of .xyz spam domains have linked to our websites and have had to subsequently disavow them all.

I suspect because .xyz domains are cheap, and the names are plentiful and available, malicious webmasters have registered them en masse for the purposes of negative SEO and spamming.

My advice also is to find a creative way to get a .com, .net or .org.

vishwa

I would definitely not suggest you to opt with a .xyz domain as majority of spam and illegal downloading sites are using this extension to create their website. Since the domain you are looking for is not available in .com extension then I would suggest you to go with .net, .org, etc. You will also get good SEO with these extensions.

Traffic

Everyone has software that only caters for com net and org so promoting xyz with old software isn't going to work. Dot xyz is popular due to the fact it was 99c or something like that. Having a good keyword with xyz as extension will bring you traffic. I would not contemplate buying .xyz if the same keyword is available in net or org. My site traffic.tools it is a direct type in and was on google right after upload with some backlinks. I think as your SEO software starts to cater to the new extensions your marketing efforts won't fall flat. Do a little bit of manual work for now and you will see results.

Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.