Can I change the domain name of my website?

shirleyscott

Hello,

I want to change the domain name of my website. Is there any way of I have to make new one and have to transfer whole data from old website to new one?

Thank You.

vishwa

Yes, you can change your domain name. Just contact your hosting provider and they will transfer all of your content to the new one. But make sure that you will lose all your backlinks and ranking.

hynds

Hello,

I want to change the domain name of my website. Is there any way of I have to make new one and have to transfer whole data from old website to new one?

Thank You.
No, you can not change the name after buying it. If you want to have another name, you need to buy a new one. After buying a new domain name, you need to point that name to your exist hosting DNS and configure your hosting to have that name as addon domain too.

divdeeps

Hello,

Thank You.
No, you cannot change the name of the domain as it. But if your domain name is going to expire, then do not renew it and just buy the new domain (make sure to do this at least 1 month before renewal).

When you ave bought the new domain just link the domain with your hosting as an addon domain. Once this is done, your domain will be linked with your hosting.

Ten go into the file manager of your previous domain and there in the .htaccess file, you can add the redirection code from your old domain to the new domain.

This way, the users who will come to your domain, will automatically be redirected to your new domain. But you have to generate the backlinks again for the new domain

Thanks

Hostens

As others have mentioned, changing currently owned domain can not be done and the new wanted domain would have to be registered.

I am guessing that with the old domain was a website that you have been using. If you plan on changing the address to the new, it would be best to contact your website creator/administrator. For some websites, the address change is very easy and can be done from the CMS side, however for others the changes has to be done manually and may include even changes in the used database or the programming code itself.

Scopehosts

Hello,

Thank You.
Hey, may I know why do you want to change domain? Is there any spelling mistake during registering or you are thinking of buying an entire new domain?

In case of spelling mistake, you can order the correct domain and redirect the present domain to the new domain.
If you are thinking of buying an entire new domain, then files needs to be migrated. Contact your hosting provider, they will assist you in case of difficulties.

paritosh

If your website hosted with a regular hosting company then it's possible to change the domain name by informing your hosting provider.

Traffic

What is your website is it html or wordpress?
You can save files make modifications reupload your html. You can download all your blog posts links out in wordpress.

If you just rename the folder on server and recreate new domain you can change your domain if it is static html. If you try this with a word press site databases files everything will be wrong and not work.

My advice is keep old domain name for at least another year so to inform your existing customers where you are. This way your backlinks can stay active if you have lots or you can use domain forwarding lose those backlinks but still run both domains.

spoorti1509

You can definitely do it but its not free as you need to pay for your web hosting provider and later you can transfer all your data permanently to your new domain

smcquade

Yes you can. I use bluehost and they have let me switch me hosting onto another domain before. I'm guessing yours would also do the same.

JonaHost

Changing the name of your website is easily done by registering a new domain. Changing the domain of your hosting account can also be done by contacting your host.

I think most persons are confused with the two, hence their responses.

JoyFreak

if you mean renaming, then no.
If you mean changing the default domain of your current hosting to another domain, then yes.
You only require detaching that domain from the current host and attaching the other one.
Or if you require moving hosts, then you can do so and just register a new domain at the new host.

SitePro

Wow. So many different answers.

YES! Absolutely.

Once you purchase/register a domain name, that name is registered under your name for the period you registered it for, and you cannot change the name that is registered under the Top Level Domain (extension, such as .com, .net or .org). This is also true if you used a Second Level Domain (such as .co.uk, .me.uk, .org.uk) because that name is reserved for the period of registration under your name and contact info.

However, I don't believe that is what is being asked. That seems to be confusing. You can always nix the old domain and register a new one to use with your account.

Depending upon your web hosting account, you can probably add a domain name to the account, too (use both domains to preserve old traffic and just market the new one), but you can get into issues with duplicate content, so it is best to scrub the web of the old links.

Starter web hosting accounts will usually require an upgrade to add another supported, hosted domain (or a few).

Places that give out free domains will likely allow you to upgrade to a paid account.

But under any circumstance, you can always move to a new hosting provider.

But yes, you can always register a new domain to use with your website. If your website host account doesn't support multiple domains, you can always reconfigure the account to use the newly registered domain name that you would prefer to use.

Also... you can change the registration in the case you sell a domain name, too. that is a different topic, but allows you to sell a domain name registration before the registration expires.

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads