Why is G+ ditching their own social media site?

denverdonate

Even if it's not competitive with Facebook or Twitter (maybe it is, no idea) why would they ditch it when it's tied into most of their other services? YouTube, Blogger, Google Business...people use all of those. :bash:

Rob Whisonant

Because it was a total failure. Also the cost to keep it running is not worth it to them. Google is a for profit business. So anything that does not make them money, they close down.

SEOPub

They are ditching it because it was a total failure from the day it launched. Nobody really uses it or likes it. It's no longer integrated with any of their other services the way it was. They have been preparing for its eventual shutdown for about 2 years. The recent security issue just gave them the excuse they needed to make it official.

paul1129

paul1129
It was a bit used by the people when there was profile pic in the SERP's. Then it got shut down and people loose interest of whatever they have in it.

denverdonate

denverdonate
That's true, I forgot about that. I remember thinking how odd that was because you could someone's picture and rank them for not-so-nice things. True, I guess they did the same with Google Video for those that can remember. It was confusing to use but if you did use it (for those that did) I always imagined that Google would give a small bump to users of their product. Of course, they never did. I'm one of the suckers that actually use it and had hoped they might migrate groups somewhere instead of just letting everything die away. They own go many services they could give options to migrate all users to one of the other Google services like YouTube. I only have 1,700 in my G+ group but even rolling that over would be nice. People are lazy by default … it's so much less troublesome if Google migrates existing groups. Wishful thinking I suppose.

Newer threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.