What makes a great domain name?

JoyFreak

Would LOVE to know your thoughts on this. As I get too caught up in things like these and believe they really do make a huge impact on traffic!

Traffic

Would LOVE to know your thoughts on this. As I get too caught up in things like these and believe they really do make a huge impact on traffic!
A lot of people will say you can rank any site with content which is true but without their history they will never find your domain again. A memorable name is important like a brand but generic is far more powerful. A direct type in has some huge advantages over any other domain. There is a lot to learn appraising domains and understanding the marketplace. I have domain with 500k searches a month and it is all in the name. Do you want to learn the art of domaining or just want some advice on a domain your interested in? There are two sides to domaining buying the names and selling them. You can be good at one or the other but you need to be good at selling more than anything. A good salesperson still can't sell rubbish so it needs to be the first choice for the buyer or offer a traffic advantage. If you start buying names you need to manage them and this takes a lot of time. You need to plan to find your end user before you buy a name. My tip is to look at sold domain prices and check search results to see where there is any avantage to the name your buying. What actually makes a great domain name isn't something that can teach in minutes it is speculation and keyword precedence. What makes a great domain is first and second choice not something that needs to be explained.

ViceTemple

A great domain name is short, spelled correctly, catchy and easy to remember. It should be relevant to the target niche as well, but that's not a necessity. Avoid domain names with numbers, special characters and long words. People will not remember them easily.

Rob Whisonant

You have basically two types of great domains.

1. A domain name that is brandable. Think Nike, Google, CNN etc.

2. A domain name that is something lot's of people would just type into a web browser when looking for something. AKA a typein domain. Think car loans, how to play guitar etc.

Carlos

Carlos
I was the person who kept building up these kinds of "type-in" websites over the years. They are niche domains.

For example, you can buy BlackOps3Forums.com before Black Ops 3 was revealed, and then released these are the traffic numbers you would get: 82,090 Users, 82,090 New Users, 99,088 Sessions, 261,454 Pageviews

BO3Forums1500Members.jpg

Branded domains are very hard to market, but I recommend the easy to type branded domains. Once you've broken a milestone, you can market and scale it enough that it makes you money down the road.

Chancer

It really depends on what you want - are you just after SERPs or do you want to create a long-lasting brand.

Imho 3-4 keywords within the url don't hurt, more looks spammy.
As far as what google wants... well who'd knew?
Some say keywords in the url count for 2% of ranking, others say 10%...
But no one really has any proof.
Personally i prefer to have 1-2 keywords if possible, but wont break my bank for them.

If you want to create a brand, use something that sounds cool - or industry relevant.
Short is usually best - but not too short and random.

IMHO best - and how i choose names - is to create a brandable name by joining a brandable word with a keyword, while keeping the overall name/phrase meaningful.

GalynkaGlnk

It is best to choose something which is relevant, memorable, easy to spell and original. Adding brand value and keyword terms, it will increase your rankings on Google.

radwebhosting

Creativity is key. Something which catches the attention of the user will be more memorable to them.

Marc van Leeuwen

Premium Member
Short, easy to remember, relate keywords can make a great domain name!!! :)

hostnetindia

Which Reflect You Products and Services.
easy to remember.
find a popular name.
keep it short.
use keyword in domain name.

its enough

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views