Can you outrank Yelp?

odysseus

I'm gonna build a review website for a specific industry.

Could not find other review sites for this niche. The top Google positions all belong to Yelp.

My question: How hard would competing with Yelp be? Would it be possible, without being crazy difficult, to outrank Yelp, given that the website will be specific to this industry? Have you had similar experiences like this?

Nemanja

Premium Member
Which keywords are you going to outrank them? or are you going to build a bigger site or better traffic than Yelp?

Chancer

Be crafty.
- Leverage the community (if you have any)
- dig deep into your old articles, forum posts and other submissions - see if you can poach some backlinks there
- go nuts with visual media - videos, pictures, memes, PDFs - get backlink + brand awareness every time
- go blackhat on Reddit

I'm in a similar position as you - different niche - and something has got to stick!
We must succeed :shot:

odysseus

Which keywords are you going to outrank them? or are you going to build a bigger site or better traffic than Yelp?
Will try and outrank them for "[niche] near me", "[niche] near me reviews", "[niche] [city name]", "[niche] [city name] reviews" etc.
I don't think I can build a bigger site than Yelp :) I will have some differentiating features though.
Just wondering if it's possible to outrank them in at least some locations for this one niche.

Be crafty.
- Leverage the community (if you have any)
- dig deep into your old articles, forum posts and other submissions - see if you can poach some backlinks there
- go nuts with visual media - videos, pictures, memes, PDFs - get backlink + brand awareness every time
- go blackhat on Reddit

I'm in a similar position as you - different niche - and something has got to stick!
We must succeed :shot:
We must succeed indeed!

Having a little different plan though. Will outreach the business owners first, see what they think, stuff like that. May bring in some backlinks.

Cheers!

odysseus

That seems to be correct. Started working on this more, and I notice that Yelp and even other big domains are constantly outranked by smaller sites, even for phrases containing 'review' and similar in them. Thanks!

Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views