Difference between .co and .com domain ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoangvu

Please any one inform me in detail about the difference between .co and .com domain!

hoangvu

.com (commercial) is a generic top-level domain (gTLD) used on the Internet's Domain Name System. It was one of the original top-level domains (TLDs), established in January 1985, and has grown to be the largest TLD in use. It was originally administered by the United States Department of Defense. The DoD contracted its maintenance to Stanford Research Institute. On January 1, 1993 the National Science Foundation assumed responsibility for its maintenance, as .com was primarily being used for non-defense interests.
.co is a regional TLD, whereas .com is a top-level TLD irrespective of region.

vinaya

vinaya
I knew that com was a generic term from commercial and co for country specific term. However, I did not know much about the history of dot com. I knew it is the oldest TLD, however, I did not know much about it. Thanks for the info,

jessyismail1234

well like .co is for countries(shows pages from the specific country) and .com is for whole web....

madelinekim

Well, .co is for particular country while .com for the commercial website. Many people preffer .com extension as it is considered as the best and unique domain name for your website.

Max-PH

.com was,is and will be the best for some time to come.

GreenBen

.co is the extension assigned to the Republic of Columbia. Many people (including myself) believe that it is or soon will be the second best extension to have because its very easy to remember, being like .com without the m and also being the abbreviation for Company.
There are a few LLLL.co's left to be registered, but unfortunately all the good ones are gone! This to me is a sign of the value to come.

123Prizes

.com is a global domain, it has a highest value.
.co is a country domain name, but it's very similar to .com, so you can choose it if .com.net.org.biz.me.us were choosed.

MikeQ

.com is commercial while
.com is for corporation

SiteChef

.Com, .net and .org were the original staples and to accomodate the growing number of sites and demand, they've added additional TLDS. Some have include country specific domains like .mx, .ca, .co.uk while others have been specific to niches or themes like .mobi, .info, and soon to come .xxx and .bank

purnima

.com refers to commercial sites and .co refers to specific countries.

Mbolak

dot com(.com) refers to a commercial website. dot co (.co) would be sites at specific countries. Say co.in (India) co.uk(United Kingdom) co.nz(New zealand).

aixporter

i wouldn't say .co is for a particular location, but .com is definitely more popular. I can't think of any major companies that use .co as their domain.

rainbow

Please any one inform me in detail about the difference between .co and .com domain!
I can explain you in detail about the difference between .co and .com. Well ! .com denotes commercial or business related sites and it is a top-level domain (TLd) in the internet. Top-level domain is one of the domains at the highest level in the DNS (Domain Name System) of the internet. For example : google.com
.co refers to internet country code top level domain (cc TLd) in the internet. The country code TLd is an internet TLd generally used for a country or a dependent territory.

supergal

.co is for specific countries and .com domains are for commercial purpose

mikemartel

.com is a generic TLD on the Internet's Domain Name System.it has a great and profound effect which .co can't reach.
.cn is for some particular country.

William

.com extension is for commercial websites all across the world while .co is also commercial sites but for specific countries.

Zack

The .co domain is a country code domain and .com is generic and not specific to any region. I was actually thinking about registering a .com domain because the .com's I wanted were taken. After looking into this I found that much of the traffic will wind up going to the .com version of the domain when people type it in because they type .com by habit.

You have to make sure you are willing to accept traffic loses if you use a.co domain.

Claire_Anderson

The .co domain extension is more expensive than .com, but they are both very affordable. .com is the legacy of domain extensions. It provides the most value in marketing and in monetary value. Google doesnt give any priority to .co domain extension and still prefers the .com. However, it’s still possible to rank high with a .co extension with good SEO. Just dont expect to outrank the same domain, with the same SEO and a .com extension.

hynds

.COM - Commercial – Currently, this is the most popular domain name extension using, it’s chosen by almost companies and business,…
.CO - It’s the Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) assigned to Colombia. It is administered by .CO Internet S.A.S. However it’s also used commonly by many online business, it’s same same as .COM so that many guys choose this.

Hikarihost

.co is for specific country, in other countries is difficult search in browser, i should recommend .com is commercial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
wms
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.