Robots.txt for your website ?

Jack London

Hi webmasters,

As I knew if we want Google crawl all our website then use this code in robots.txt file putted in website root directory
Code:
User-agent: *
Allow: /
but I checked some sites and they didn't put robots.txt file for their websites. Thus I want to know that it's necessary to have a robots file for my website or not ? and why ?

please share your suggestions ?

Joseph_Hill

Thanks for sharing this code, but initially I want to know why Robot.txt file should be their in our website?And why it's important in terms of SEO strategy?

Reactions: William

ketul

ketul
If you want to hide your sites some portion like directory and file that very secret for you, you can specify it in robots.txt, so SE crawler does not crawl and index that file and user don't see that particular page or file in search result.
Simply it tells to SE crawler that which page is allow for crawl and index and which is not.

sachingoyal

The robots.txt file is a very essential file if you wanna increase your site ranking.

Robots.txt file

When a search engine crawler comes to your website, it will look for a special root file on your website. That file is called robots.txt and it tells the search engine spider, which Web pages of your website should be indexed and which Web pages should be ignored.

Like : http://www.yourwebsite.com/robots.txt

aishasony

yes its necessary to place Robot.txt file because it get rid of all the 404 errors simply create an empty file called robots.txt and upload that to your site.

You should be able to tell if it works by examining site stats for periods before and after uploading as the number of 404 errors on the site should be dramatically reduced.

PankajS

if you are confused that some website not using robot.txt then i would like to describe that robot file is only use for preventing any webpage from search engine. not to crawl webpage.

subin

Robots.txt is an important tool to identify crawl all websites, faster to index them on all top search engines.

novandak

Hi,
I think robots.txt is most important for Search Engine.
When a search engine crawler comes to your site, it will look for a specific file on your site. That is called robots.txt. It's a simple text file.
It tells the search engine spider that which web pages should be ignored by Search Engine and which should be indexed.

dagnyjbarber

disallow term only prevent from crawling not from indexing. for prevent from indexing, you have to type noindex.

kathleenortan

Robots.txt is not always necessary, you can choose not to use them on your websites depending on the content of your website. You can use them occasionally for some websites. Some SEOs not happening practical knowledge may suggest you that it is important because they have read like this online.

BloodMaster

Through the robot.txt file Google bot/spiders/crawlers know what is in site. Crawlers get familiar with site.

hoangvu

It's necessary for you to create robots.txt when you need to protect some files or folders on your server from crawling by Google.

I found one good article on How to use Robots.txt on our webmaster sun.

Hope this helps!

Deepak Kaushik

Main purpose of uploading robots.txt file is that if you want to block any webpage, folder, file in the Google's eye then by the use of robots.txt you can do this.

jasonquey

robots.txt file in your website. The robots.txt file which presents in webmaster's will be updated automatically... No need to do any changes in webmaster's robots.txt.

deepakrajput

Robots.txt is the main file for Search Engine caching your site to rank them. It is set of some instructions which admin want to Allow or disallow to Search Engine.

nathancs

Robots.txt is most important for search engine spider to tell the search engine crawl the web pages.

seoindia

There is no way that can prevent search engines or say Google to index a website and/or pages. Google will surely fetch your webpage information in any case whether you put or do not put robot.txt in your URL. Search engines will get your site information from the back links that are distributed throughout the web.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
bob
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.