• QUICK MENU
  • REGISTER HERE - Join us for FREE
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Stick this thread
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0
    Thanks
    There's a lot of misinformation in this thread. Going to try to clear some of it up since I have some time free.

Quote Originally Posted by mido View Post
    Now when Google is ranking HTTPS slightly better it is a good idea to get a SSL cert for your sites.
    Really, a slight ranking boost should be the last reason that you choose to use HTTPS:443 over HTTP:80. Sure, the slight boost in rank is great and all, but it's certainly not going to be permanent without the data to keep it there.

Quote Originally Posted by MightWeb View Post
    Basically, whilst slightly slower, SSL will add a layer of security on any transmissions to and from your web server to your visitor.
    With the introduction of HTTP/2 (which more or less requires SSL) this is an outright lie; if you set up your server correctly, HTTPS will likely be faster than HTTP. HTTPS was originally slower because it was tacked onto a really old RFC standard. RFCs were updated, things are now faster.

Quote Originally Posted by ElixantTechnology View Post
    I just looked into Let's Encrypt, and I don't think in my opinion that it would be a viable solution. From what I can tell, Mozilla is the only browser that would trust the certificates...
    That's certainly not the case, considering I now have Chrome liking my LE certs. I would not use anything else unless I needed an Extended Validation Certificate, which I don't, because I'm not a bank.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGravyCakes View Post
    These websites secure your data. It is important to check when you are making a purchase that the site is HTTPS, so that you know that you are on a site with SSL and it will protect your data.
    SSL has little, if anything, to do with the data stored on a webste. Saying that a site is completely, 100%, fantastically secure because it has a green padlock is naive. You can't expect data stored on a website to be secure, and you can't use HTTPS as a measurement of that since SSL only crypts the transport. Not the insertion into the database, not the maintaining of that database, just getting it from you to them. That's it.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    HTTPS is well-known HTTP+SSL, a client and a server communicate to each other, but through an SSL, that encrypts and decrypts their requests and responses.

Basically SSL certificates encrypt the data that goes from your computer to the target website and back:

Your browser connects server (your target website) on a SSL port;

Server sends back its public key;the client(your browser) decides if it’s ok to proceed - it checks if the public key isn’t expired, and if it is verified or "signed" by a trusted third party Certificate Authority, whose job is to verify server application for a digital SSL certificate;

If the client decides to trust the certificate, it sends his public key to the server;

Then the server creates the encrypted message, using client’s public key and server’s private key, and send the message back to the browser;

Client’s browser decrypts the message;

Now the client and the server has established secure connection.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidLux View Post
    Hello webmasters,

Can you show me pros and cons of Http vs. Https ? I know https is more secure but why it is then I didn't know.

If possible, plz show me what is the difference between Http vs. Https?

Thanks
    David
    HTTPS: Secure HyperText Transport Protocol. The entry or https client, like a internet browser, also establishes a link with a host on a typical interface. But,https delivers an excess level of security as it uses SSL to go data. For all intents and purposes, HTTPS is HTTP, it's only the stable edition.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidLux View Post
    Hello webmasters,

Can you show me pros and cons of Http vs. Https ? I know https is more secure but why it is then I didn't know.

If possible, plz show me what is the difference between Http vs. Https?

Thanks
    David
    The most gap is that encrypted HTTPS will be the fundamental cost of security nowadays. You might have heard people advocating one to modify your web site to your HTTPS security protection. HTTP means hypertext transfer protocol.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 3/0
    Thanks
    HTTPS - here 's' stands for secure

Adding a SSL certificate to your http site will convert the website into https.

Why https is important?
    The short answer to why your web site ought to use HTTPS rather than HTTP is "because Google prefers it." ...
    once you visit a web site, your pc and net server communicate using a protocol known as HTTP. This stands for Hypertext Transfer Protocol.
    HTTPS is a way to encrypt information that you send between a browser and a web server. This protects your website?s users from "man-in-the-middle" attacks, where someone steals the information being sent to a website, like credit card information or logins.

Newer Threads

1. DavidLux
    glennyjoycelyn
    Replies: 4 | Views: 2399
    Last post by glennyjoycelyn, 01-27-2014, 01:17 PM
  2. Jack London
    arronmattwills
    Replies: 1 | Views: 2101
    Last post by arronmattwills, 01-09-2014, 10:12 AM
  3. Jack London
    ClearEyes
    Replies: 1 | Views: 1782