Are Directories Still Useful for SEO?

hoangvu

I'm going to build a directory for my website ( in subdomain ) but I'm wondering that Are Directories Still Useful for SEO at this time 2014 or 2015 and further ?

Anyone please give me any suggestions/thoughts?

Thanks in advanced!

web3k

I'm going to build a directory for my website ( in subdomain ) but I'm wondering that Are Directories Still Useful for SEO at this time 2014 or 2015 and further ?

Anyone please give me any suggestions/thoughts?

Thanks in advanced!
As mentioned, it increases visibility and may give you organic traffic, but a generic, low PR directory offers little benefit other than a small amount of organic traffic

Darius

Yes! Directories are still useful for SEO.
However, I do not write about submitting link to thousands junk general directoriies.
Google and other search engines love quality niche directories, that are standard and quality for itself.
Link from quality topic directory is worth much more than some hundred links from junk general directories or junk abandoned blogs.
Cheers! :)

joelmathew

In fact, directories are still useful method in today's SEO. In thousands of directories you'll find few clean and search engine friendly directories. Need to see do those directories compliance google's rules?

david

Useful if the directory have a good PR and DA. Google consider some of good reputable directory as business listing, in other words not just for build backlink

fastreplies

Hopefully you have had never started that directory because...
SEO have nothing to do with Directories

Let me explain that to you in simple words
SEO is Optimization of Search Engines and not Directories

Simple enough?

:)

fastreplies

hoangvu

hoangvu
I don't think so, why more people are interested in listing their websites in directories like Dmoz, yahoo dir..some other quality directories..etc
just one thing, at this moment, directories are no more effects like last time.
you can show me explanations why "SEO is Optimization of Search Engines and not Directories" ? :D

vaneetagoswami

vaneetagoswami
111111.PNG

I think you are wrong. You suggest not to build directory and SEO have nothing to do with Directories. But you already create one directory and promote it as well in different forum. Check your signature..... It's says a lot of words fastreplies. Give some nice and gentle advice to other...

@RobertMore Directory is good.... I personally believe all thing that is good in Google's eye and help you to get rank is good.

Attachments

fastreplies

I don't think so, why more people are interested in listing their websites in directories like Dmoz, yahoo dir..some other quality directories..etc
Well Kumar, because directories are the best source for backlinks.
Lets face it Directories are the only friends owners of brand new sites have

Hopefully you know the difference between:
SEO defined as Search Engines Optimization which based on CONTENT
and
PR defined as Page Rank which based on BACKLINKS
because without understanding about what roles these two are playing in accomplishment
final results one can be easily confused what is what and what is doing what and why,
when and how to use it.

just one thing, at this moment, directories are no more effects like last time.
Says who?
When and what last time you're talking about?
Are you talking about totally useless 10,000 or more dead on arrival cesspool of spam
no one ever cares directories?

Explain to me what do you mean by your statement.

you can show me explanations why "SEO is Optimization of Search Engines and not Directories" ?
Oh come on man, be serious...
Show me where it says: Optimization of Directories

No one but Directory Managers can Optimize Directory.
Yes you can submit your site for review with whatever Title and Description you want
to SEO it but... no Editor of AMRAY, DMOZ, BOTW will ever allow that "SEO masterpiece
of yours" to see light of the day.

Any more questions?

fastreplies

Last edited:

apu922177

Major Directories like DMoz,Google Directory,Yahoo Directory E.t.c are still useful.. .you can also submit to those directories who has Good DA(Domain Authority) and PA(page authority) and is also under your niche... but other than that ...low quality directories are useless and sometimes it can hurt your Website

fastreplies

You will never find Google directory because he imagined one thing that Google directory is existed
Google Directory exists but only in @apu922177 Trollsylvania where making
incompetent, useless and stupid post makes no difference if you will loose
your reputation in your very 1st post.

I think Dmoz is relate to google directory or it is under Google control, right?
Google use to have DMOZ as it proxy Directory but about 5 years ago G. dumps it
because DMOZ proofs to be spam and dead links infested to the point that Google
had enough.

fastreplies

Peter

Peter
where you got this information?
I saw more people interested in having a link in dmoz but it's very difficult to list there
Is Dmoz still a quality directory and useful for SEO, what do you think?

fastreplies

Peter

Oh seem I've been just born today when knowing this news :D
Thanks for the information, I must click "Thank" to your reply :thumb:
Backlink- Yes, SEO - No

fastreplies
It's strange to me when having backlink but not for SEO :confused: becoz backlinks are always useful for SEO and it's one of factors in SEO, why you said that

fastreplies

It's strange to me when having backlink but not for SEO :confused:
Okay, Google for: bing directory
Look for bingdirectory.org site on page #1

becoz backlinks are always useful for SEO and it's one of factors in SEO, why you said that
Right, Google's Matt C. said that backlinks are 1/200 of Algos mix that hardly effect any
outcome in SERP if any at all but some SEO Pros somehow missed 1/200 part

bingdirectory.org doesn't have any backlinks but as you can see Google placed it in top 10

Ask yourself:
how does it happened and why?
If you'll answer:
I can't believe my eyes but having backlinks for SEO is nothing but a myth...
then you're on your way to recovery from SEO epidemic and you will get better soon.

fastreplies

bob

Good question vaneetagoswami, I sure fastreplies will get more difficult to answer your question :D . Waiting for his reply :hug:

fastreplies

I think you are wrong. You suggest not to build directory and SEO have nothing to do with Directories. But you already create one directory and promote it as well in different forum. Check your signature..... It's says a lot of words fastreplies. Give some nice and gentle advice to other...
OK, let me ask you something.
Your brother 'shoemaker' one day told you that he wants to add a bakery to his business
but he wants you to tell him how to bake bread and if he should use flower, salt and water

What would you suggestions for him to do?

Good question vaneetagoswami, I sure fastreplies will get more difficult to answer your question. Waiting for his reply
Yeah, you're right...
because his post is so senseless and out of touch with reality, I have problems to deal
with sheer stupidity and incoherence of your friend's 10 years old child's thoughts.

fastreplies

fastreplies

You suggest him not create directory... But how would you know that he doesn't know anything about directory and he have different knowledge..???
Man, you're freaking me out because no one can be so stupid...

Read again what OP say:
but I'm wondering that Are Directories Still Useful for SEO at this time 2014 or 2015 and further ?
Does it sound to you he knows what he is talking about?
And what "different knowledge" you are talking about?

I'm asking you again
OK, let me ask you something.
Your brother 'shoemaker' one day told you that he wants to add a bakery to his business
but he wants you to tell him how to bake bread and if he should use flower, salt and water

What would you suggestions for him to do?
:rolleyes:

fastreplies

Last edited:

davidlee21

You can directories to bump your DA till 15 after your DA is !5 there is no use in doing Directory submission

AidanSEO

Yes, even in 2021 directories are still useful for search engine optimization, especially Local SEO.

There are three types of directories you want to focus on to build business citations from, those include:
1) General Directories like Yelp, YellowPages, etc.
2) Niche Directories that are specific to your company category
3) Location Directory that are specific to where your company operates (City, State, Country)

RenderedElite

Can't believe someone revived such an old thread, twice now. Haha.

Anyways, directories are more useful for local SEO these days, but there might be certain niche directories that are appropriate for your website, just look around. Don't submit your site to junk/spammy directories that literally publish ANY link and clearly don't review them. If the directory is relevant to your niche that's a huge plus. If it's a directory you might actually see yourself bookmarking to find good sites, then it's probably good. If it's a site you would never visit or use outside of promoting your site, then it's probably a bad backlink.

Reactions: Admin

AidanSEO

AidanSEO
Didn't realizing I was reviving an old thread, it was on the first page of the SEO section!
I agree with your reply for the most part. However, even a site that reviews/costs money to be listed isn't always a good decision.

For example, I found a network of YellowPage sites that, after contacting, told me they charge over $700 a year for inclusion.
This would make you think the site is exclusive, and the price would lend to the thought "it's worth it". But, after checking their site in SEMRush, it revealed very low domain authority and overall organic traffic. Regardless if "I would personally visit the site", I stick by the idea of analyzing a site first, reviewed or not.

Another example, I found a business directory with good domain authority, good organic traffic, and charged a small fee for inclusion. Seems good, right?
Well, upon further examination, I found that the outbound link they placed from the listed was not dofollow, or even nofollowed. It was a link going through an exit script that redirected to my site, basically providing no link whatsoever, so I opted against it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Admin

RenderedElite

RenderedElite
I wasn't necessarily saying look for paid directories either. Honestly, I've never once in my life paid to get a website featured in a directory and don't recommend it. I would of course do the research you suggested after it past my "I would personally use this site" test. I'm not a fan of directory submission, unless it's a local directory for a local business.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views