Which OS should I choose for my VPS?

Maxwell

Hi everyone,

I think I will use a VPS soon but I have no more experience on using a VPS
between Ubuntu, CentOS, Debian, Arch Linux and Fedora when creating a droplet then I should go with ?
which is more advantages for my sites when I use PHP and mySQL, apache

any advice?
Thanks in advanced

Last edited:
Do you plan to have a control panel? cPanel for example being the most popular would require CentOS 6 from the list you've provided.

Maxwell

how many RAMs will cPanel consume if I setsup control panel?
I saw some options like CentOs 6.4 x64 CentOs 6.4 x32 CentOs 5.8 x64 and CentOs 5.8 x32 I don't know what does it mean? I should choose which is popular and stable for my site?
which details for each one? can you suggest?

Is your provider offering you full server management? What is your budget for this VPS server and what specs are you getting?

Either way, go with: CentOs 6.4 x64 which can then be upgraded to 6.5 if not already installed. With the questions you're asking I think it is safe to say you will need a control panel of some sort, I'd even stretch to say you need full server management to ensure you're covered though that is optional.

cPanel can run up anywhere to a few hundred MB ram to run on a VPS. Generally, you should be fine to run some websites on a 512MB ram server though more the better. If you want room to grow, go with 1 GB ram or find another control panel.

There are numerous free control panels and other commercial ones other than cPanel. If you're starting out though I really do recommend a fully managed VPS to save you the headaches of upgrades, security issues etc - In most cases, cPanel will be included for free.

Maxwell

Budget around 10 or $20 a month, I'm learning about VPS and I think I can manage a vps myself :)
I heard about Centminmod that allow me setup mysql, php, vhost,..functions for a vps, it is right?
Honestly, I am still researching the information to set up a vps before buying it

Last time I checked, Centmin Mod was for Nginx yet your first post mentioned Apache.

What is it you're looking to do with this VPS exactly? Might it be worth looking at shared hosting where everything is secured, licensed and properly managed and would include other benefits (For example, our hosting offers $175 in advertising credits, free domain name etc)

Maxwell

I have got your step 1 is CentOs 6.4 x64, which application I should setup to support and control perfectly for php, mysql, apache..with consume RAM lowest. Can you give me an advice or any tips.?

Installing it is one thing, managing it is another. I'd recommend you evaluate free or commercial control panels and install one of those which should install everything you need.

[URLnf=http://www.ispconfig.org]http://www.ispconfig.org[/URLnf] is a popular free control panel, check out the demo to see if you like it.

Maxwell

Thanks Alex, I bought a trial vps for 2 months for testing and I installed successfully apache,mysql, php,..on it. Checking other functions to have a good hosting for me soon.

Last edited:
I recommend you to install Cent OS 6 because it is the most used. If you want to install, for example, cPanel you sould have Cent OS 6.

Only If you want to have cPanel installed on.

prolimehost

I think, the best operating system for web hosting is LINUX. it has a high security level. and ofcourse, it is free.

ChadTrejo

Are you using any Control Panel on your server?
On my vps, I'm running DirectAdmin with CentOS,
DirectAdmin was running only on CentOS from the beginning.

bestellen

I recommend you CentOS.
Some details:
less than < 4 GB of RAM, Use Centos 6.x 32 Bit
more than > 4 GB of RAM, Use Centos 6.x 64 Bit

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.