how to outrank wikipedia

lisa

Guys this is a health related keyword for which I am ranking on third on the first page. On first there is a Wikipedia link for the related keyword. This links takes out most of the traffic and as a result I am getting nothing :( Can anyone tell me how to outrank Wikipedia please?
Any help would be highly appreciated

kamlesh

You need to build enough authority backlinks then that wikipedia page has most of the time it's easier to outrank wikipedia that it looks as it's ranking just because of the domain authority.

shuvoimtiaz

Make High quality relevant backlinks of your niche. You will also have to increase your domain and page authority if you want to beat WIKI.

LanceBachmann

If it's a "how to" keyword it can be tougher, but I haven't had problems outranking eHow pages in most cases. Wikipedia on other hand itself is a search

engine/encyclopedia.

So How to rank above Wikipedia?

Three Main Reasons Why Wikipedia is coming up -

1. Wikipedia domain authority is very high and Google gives importance to domain authority. Current domain authority of Wikipedia is 100 which is a maximum
2. Wikpedia pages are having high page value as they are having frequent interlinking. Do check there “See also” section of any Wikipedia pages. That is the main

source of interlinks.
3. Wikipedia pages usually gets lots of natural backlinks from blogs and forums which is always a plus point and hence reason for them to have an upper hand over other.

To Outrank Wikipedia - Work out on following points.

1. List out all the backlinks of the particular Wikipedia page and list them in descending order. Use any backlink checker tool. My suggestion is use majestic SEO or

ahrefs(.)com.
2. Create an excel sheet. Mantain two sections, one having backlinks, second having internal links of that particular page. Label out backings like Article Backinks,

Forum Link, Blog Links, News Links, Other Wikipage link.
3. Try to remove by editing wikipage daily and giving solid reason for doing so. Dont rush on this and gave best reason why you did that and ask your friends do same

from different location. As IP would be tracked if you do daily from your IP. Start with strong link first.
4. As you have already labeled all the backlinks to the Wikipedia entry, separate all blog and forums links from your page. And try to get some links from the links

which is pointing to wikipedia page.. You know the best way for that
5. Fuse in your webpage link into that Wikipedia page.

elcidofaguy

As Lance Bachmann - rightly points out it is indeed possible - but not for the faint hearted lol... It requires some elbow grease with reverse engineering the link profile for that specific wiki page in order to ascertain its authority metrics etc... BTW - Nice Post ;-)

In addition as voiced Wiki is extremely strong on silos - in otherwords the way it interlinks internally to many of its own pages , categories and sub categories etc... Which tells G that it has significant depth and detail on a given subject, niche etc... So you'll also need to replicate that with your site having deeply nested pages reflecting a silo which will get those crawlers excited... with a deeper understanding as per G's hummingbird...

With link building - you will need to be careful - as you'll need to keep an eye on the velocity of links versus your CTR as G will have a good idea of your traffic numbers... I would keep it below 10% per month as well as your link profile being less than 20% commercial keywords due to penguin ... and above all your bounce rate needs to be low as G keeps a close eye on that ... they know if your site does not perform well on the SERPs with users returning to search results to check out other results for the given keyword search....

It can be tough but for sure can be done... But in addition I would also weigh up the amount of effort and funds needed versus focusing your efforts elsewhere such as other longtail keywords....

NickTheMusketeer

Ideally, you would have to choose a different word or phrase combination for the same niche. That word or phrase combination should not bring up Wikipedia results. Once you have done that, try getting backlinks to your website as well as setup a paid advertisement in order to increase the visibility, reachability and conversion of your landing page.

EmmaCarter

In order to beat Wikipedia, you need to maintain good engagement rate and visitors flow on your website.

olaryeankarh

I may be late to this party but here's my input...
In order to beat wikipedia, you have to be better than wikipedia. Think like Google. Why would I want to rank this site above wikipedia that has so much authority (detail, completeness, backlinks, etc)?

This is a great challenge which you have to work hard for! Do something extraordinary and prove Google wrong! That's the only way I know you can beat those wikipedia links. It is very possible but not very quick.

Aryan

Wikipedia is an authority website. Mostly on every single keyword, it ranks on top. You can't beat it's domain authority, but you can beat its page authority for that page. You need to get back links from all relative authority websites. You can also try to edit that Wikipedia, and provide your website page url there(There are less chances for it). You need to provide more n more content related to that keyword: each and every single details, more better images so that people want to get information from your website rather than Wikipedia. User experience matters a lot, if more people will visit your website for finding more details then your website will definitely beat that Wikipedia pages.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views