Illustrator Vs PhotoShop?

Michele D.

Hi everyone,

I just planned to study some Picture editing softwares like Photoshop, Illustrator..
Finally these are my options but I don't know which I should go with to have images that I want for my internet marketing products
Recommend me which one should I choose first and learn?

Thanks

australianlogos

Illustrator is best for editing images see illustrator online tutorials for more help

Mourrought

Photoshop is best for raster images like web graphics. Illustrator on the other hand works best with vector images and is commonly used for logo creation and large format printing designs as vector images does not lose quality when stretched. If you are going to be creating graphics for promotion online, photoshop is the tool for you.

bijutoha

You can start with PS, then Ai. I hope you must know about the different between them. One for Raster another for Vector. I love both of them.

bijutoha

Good question lawrencegordon! Actually this is my own opinion to learn first PS. I think PS offers lots of tools and easy to learn then illustrator. Using pen tool in PS pretty good then Ai.

Yes first time when you start with either of them it might be difficult to begin with. But whichever you start with, the next one will be so much easier. So there isn't much more differences between PS and Ai through using aspect. :)

MikePNV

I like photoshop. I think that there is a lot that one can do with it if they take their time.

drastic

Picture editing is Photoshop.

Logo design is illustrator.

Revod

Its different, Photoshop and Lightroom as Professional Photo Editing

Illustrator as Professional Vector Editor , like illustration, logo, branding, etc

emily

Photoshop and illustrator both are unique in their own ways. We cannot decide which is best because its totally depends on your requirement. For example, Photoshop is mainly used for modifying already created images and it also used to create User interface designs, Banner ads, web pages etc,. where illustrator is mainly used for creating logos and vector images which never lose their quality at the time of scaling the image up and down. Also used to create brochures and brand marks.

Joey

I'd say that you learn Photoshop first. They're both different, but Photoshop (in my opinion) is more important for internet marketers because you can make things/edits in 5 minutes instead of paying someone $10 to do it in 24 hours.

Illustrator is more for graphic creating. Photoshop is more for image editing and touch-ups.

kim16

Hi everyone,

I just planned to study some Picture editing softwares like Photoshop, Illustrator..
Finally these are my options but I don't know which I should go with to have images that I want for my internet marketing products

Thanks
Photo manipulation is best done with Photoshop. And Illustrator works well if you're creating vectors. That's the simplest tip I can give.

DarioPV

As people mentioned, depends on your needs. Good thing is, when you get familiar with one of the Adobe products it is much easier to start working in others.

Photoshop is a little easier so if you do not have much experience in this kind of tools, PS will have an easier learning curve.

An advantage of starting with Illustrator is that there are a lot of graphics out there available for download so you can just download something and adjust it to your needs. It significantly improves one's workflow when you do not have to do everything from scratch.

Not sure what you will exactly use it for, but PS is probably a better starting option while learning to work in both tools will let you swap content between them and that is where the real fun starts :)

deliverinstant

I will prefer to use Illustrator because of its uniqueness as well as its too sharp to read the mind of client. Too many amazing features i found in it. Working with illustrator always surprise and generate some great effects ever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zack

If you are going to work with actual photos then Photoshop will probably be the best option. If you are working with something like Logo's or similar images then Illustrator would be the best choice.

Claire_Anderson

Photoshop is used to design User interface, web pages, banner ads and video graphic. It is also used for editing photos. Everything in Photoshop is just a series of pixels, so if you’re scaling something up or down, it can lose its quality very quickly. Most designers use both Photoshop and illustrator to fulfill their design needs. Adobe Illustrator is an advanced vector-based software. It is used to create logos or anything that may need to be printed or displayed at different sizes. A vector graphic will never lose its quality if it’s scaled up or down.

Strike

Hi everyone,

Thanks
Okay here is how Adobe products should be seen as okay;

Photoshop / Lightroom = Photo editing (no logos, its pixel based software)
Illustrator = Logo Designs, or anything being printed as it used vectors (straight lines)
InDesign = Book, Magazine, and poster designs (Text editor and layout design)
Dreamweaver = Websites but i recommend Brackets as its easier.
After Effects = VFX and motion graphics and video animation
Premier = Video Editing
Flash = old school animation software (can create eBooks but InDesign has taken over)
Fireworks (was a combo of photoshop and illustrator none existent now)
UX ( frameworks and live demos for apps / websites and creates free live interactive designs)

hope this helps... illustrator can be used for photo editing but really you should use photoshop. adding text should be in illustrator or InDesign.

I think the point I am making is that there is no go to software. I would learn Illustrator as it will benefit you more.

Reactions: Michele D.

Jen

Jen
How hard is it to learn Illustrator compared to Photoshop?

I ask because I know how to do some things in Photoshop but haven't tried Illustrator yet. I was wondering if it would have about the same learning curve as Photoshop so I have something to reference it's ease of learning.

Hikarihost

Photoshop is based in pixels is by photo editing, banner or video
Illustrator is based in vector and lines is by Logo Designs and never loss the quality

Claire_Anderson

Photoshop is used for creating web graphics, photo editing and designs since those projects will stay at a fixed size. It is also use to create images or graphics, like photos. Illustrator is mostly used for logo, poster and banners designing, it is easier to use than Photoshop. But you can also design these things in Photoshop. Most designers know how to design in both, and they use both of them for fulfilling their designing needs.

HostaPolis

I see this is an old thread but for the sake of anyone reading or having the same question, Photoshop is the better option. There are also waaaay more free tutorials online for Photoshop than there are for Illustrator. And if you don't want to pay for software, GIMP is the best free one in my book.

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads